Notices

I slammed vodka for breakfast....

Old 10-27-2015, 11:44 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I slammed vodka for breakfast....

One day in a hotel in New York City, I woke from a blackout sleep with very little time to get ready before client meetings. My head pounded and my body shook and I felt ready to puke.

In a rush I got in the shower, shaved, forced myself through a morning routine. I vomited. I felt weak and feverish. I didn't know how I was going to make it through the next few minutes, much less the day. There was a long series of meetings that would extend at least until late morning or noon.

In a spur-of-the-moment decision, recalling times when morning-after mimosas led to enjoyable Sundays, I tore open the minibar and threw down a few excedrin for my headache - chasing them with vodka. I retched.... but held it in, and opened another mini-bottle.

I got through that day... somewhat revived and barely making it through only because I'd re-booted my buzz before falling hopelessly into hangover mode. Then I went out that afternoon and kept drinking until I shamefully boarded a plane the next morning.... and drank my way back home.

That was a turning point and that vodka for breakfast had unwittingly opened the doors for many other such mornings. Vodka as hangover cure. Vodka as comfort food. Vodka just so I could function that day.... Vodka - the portal to the next blackout.

I didn't get to that point overnight. No. For many years I drank pretty heavily but I didn't have "a problem". Nope. Not me. NO problem. Maybe a lot of financial problems. Maybe a DUI and a hit and run. Maybe some drunk and disorderly arrests and some destruction of property and maybe dozens upon dozens of arguments with my wife while drinking and maybe behind on lots of responsibilities in life but I DIDN'T HAVE A PROBLEM.

Then one day I'm vomiting in the sink in my kitchen and even Vodka for breakfast isn't making it better.

That's how fast it happens, when you don't have "a problem".

I sure am glad I don't slam vodka for breakfast anymore.

Old 10-27-2015, 12:00 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Great post... congrats
Old 10-27-2015, 12:16 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

That downward spiral seems very familiar!!

Great post FreeOwl!!
Old 10-27-2015, 12:17 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I certainly don't miss those dreadful mornings.

Great post, FreeOwl.
Old 10-27-2015, 12:21 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Really well written, as always.

As they say - some follow that denial into the grave. I'm really glad you (and I) didn't.
Old 10-27-2015, 01:08 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

sounds totally like me. Just what I needed to read on Day 23. You reminded me of what it really used to be like. Never again..Thanks for posting
Old 10-27-2015, 02:18 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

The subject line had me worried!!! I thought you had the vodka this morning!
Great description of my life at one point!
Old 10-27-2015, 02:33 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Do your best

That subject line was to throw others : (
Old 10-27-2015, 05:43 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by soberwolf View Post
That subject line was to throw others : (
no. It wasn't. It was the title I chose because it reflected a poignant turning point. It was that action which opened up a new chapter in my alcoholism. It is a dramatic title, yes... Because it was a huge development in my addiction.
Old 10-27-2015, 09:15 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

Thanks FO.

Roll the tape.
Old 10-27-2015, 10:05 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Adventurer

Been there, never want to go back. Reminds me of my crazy business trips to Europe and Asia, it's wonder how I kept it together and didn't blow accounts.
Old 10-27-2015, 11:46 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thank you for posting this. I too didn't get to the point of using vodka as a cure all over night, but I sure as heck ended up there. I can thoroughly understand "how fast it happens when you 'don't have a problem.'"
Old 10-27-2015, 11:48 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Do your best

Originally Posted by FreeOwl View Post
no. It wasn't, It is a dramatic title, yes...
I liked the content of the post im not saying anything about that don't get it twisted
Old 10-28-2015, 03:44 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Just clarifying - my intent wasn't to mislead.
Old 10-28-2015, 04:12 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Do your best

I know FO your a good friend I really liked the actual post as I do all your posts I wouldn't post in them otherwise brother
Old 10-28-2015, 04:23 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Free Owl,

The funny thing about turning points is that we don't see them until we are past them and looking in our mirror, wishing we could put the car in reverse and start over.

But we can't, so here we are.

Great post.
Old 10-28-2015, 04:58 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Your story brings many memories of a drunken life. Crashing

Originally Posted by FreeOwl View Post
One day in a hotel in New York City, I woke from a blackout sleep with very little time to get ready before client meetings. My head pounded and my body shook and I felt ready to puke.

In a rush I got in the shower, shaved, forced myself through a morning routine. I vomited. I felt weak and feverish. I didn't know how I was going to make it through the next few minutes, much less the day. There was a long series of meetings that would extend at least until late morning or noon.

In a spur-of-the-moment decision, recalling times when morning-after mimosas led to enjoyable Sundays, I tore open the minibar and threw down a few excedrin for my headache - chasing them with vodka. I retched.... but held it in, and opened another mini-bottle.

I got through that day... somewhat revived and barely making it through only because I'd re-booted my buzz before falling hopelessly into hangover mode. Then I went out that afternoon and kept drinking until I shamefully boarded a plane the next morning.... and drank my way back home.

That was a turning point and that vodka for breakfast had unwittingly opened the doors for many other such mornings. Vodka as hangover cure. Vodka as comfort food. Vodka just so I could function that day.... Vodka - the portal to the next blackout.

I didn't get to that point overnight. No. For many years I drank pretty heavily but I didn't have "a problem". Nope. Not me. NO problem. Maybe a lot of financial problems. Maybe a DUI and a hit and run. Maybe some drunk and disorderly arrests and some destruction of property and maybe dozens upon dozens of arguments with my wife while drinking and maybe behind on lots of responsibilities in life but I DIDN'T HAVE A PROBLEM.

Then one day I'm vomiting in the sink in my kitchen and even Vodka for breakfast isn't making it better.

That's how fast it happens, when you don't have "a problem".

I sure am glad I don't slam vodka for breakfast anymore.

Hey
Old 10-28-2015, 05:22 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Very powerful! Thanks FreeOwl.
Old 10-28-2015, 06:14 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

unfortunately for me, I can relate to that post... too familiar
Old 10-28-2015, 06:18 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Great post, FreeOwl. On a biz trip now, myself. Food for thought...thanks.