SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Reasons I want to stop drinking... (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/378116-reasons-i-want-stop-drinking.html)

secretchord 10-27-2015 06:06 AM

Reasons I want to stop drinking...

1. My prescribed medicines may actually work again and I won't have the anxiety that I currently have all week long.

2. I won't have to be secretive anymore.

3. I won't have to worry about what my son thinks of me.

4. I don't have to worry about getting a DWI or open bottle.

5. I won't have to feel embarrassed or guilty after a night of drinking.

6. I will likely lose weight because when I drink I binge eat too.

7. Drinking will no longer be my hobby. I will find something else to do with my time.

8. I won't have to plan my weekend around drinking.

9. I will be a healthier person both mentally and physically.

I will keep adding to this list if that's okay. I'm trying to think of reasons to quit.

OnMyWay7 10-27-2015 06:48 AM

11. You will have more money.

12. You will likely live longer.

13. You won't have to constantly worry about when you're going to be able to get to the liquor store.

ScottFromWI 10-27-2015 07:02 AM

Sounds like a lot of good reasons, it's good to write them down too. Conversely, if you made a list of reasons to keep drinking it would be very short.

Holds1325 10-27-2015 08:13 AM

This is great, and will be very helpful when ever the cravings hit and they will come no doubt about that.

Thinking upon the reasons why I quit helps me to remember and to stay on the course. I actually wrote this down and taped it to my refrigerator so I can see it everyday.

biminiblue 10-27-2015 08:17 AM

secretchord, good to see you taking initiative!

One thing that really helped me was to write down, in chronological order, all the drinking events I could remember, from day one of my drinking way back when my Dad gave me a sip of his beer.

Think of it as an assignment. I didn't write it out on the internet, just in a file on my computer. It showed me the progression and the embarrassment, poor decision making, inability to slow down, and increasing amounts and frequency.

Soberwolf 10-27-2015 09:02 AM

:arms: Thats a very good list SecretChord

jkirk 10-27-2015 09:41 AM

14. You will be happier!

ChickChick 10-27-2015 09:54 AM

Originally Posted by biminiblue (Post 5616938)
secretchord, good to see you taking initiative!

One thing that really helped me was to write down, in chronological order, all the drinking events I could remember, from day one of my drinking way back when my Dad gave me a sip of his beer.

Think of it as an assignment. I didn't write it out on the internet, just in a file on my computer. It showed me the progression and the embarrassment, poor decision making, inability to slow down, and increasing amounts and frequency.

That sounds like kind of a scary asaignment, but I think I will try it. I'm sure looking back at it is a deterrent to taking a drink.

PurpleKnight 10-27-2015 12:03 PM

Some very good reasons!! :)