Notices

I messed it all up

Old 10-27-2015, 05:47 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I messed it all up

I was a member before. My username was JerryFish, in case someone remembers.

My situation now is terrible. I've started drinking this morning. I have a beard, smell have the beer delivered, as well as pizzas. I feel horrible yet I keep going.

My situation was good. I had a counsellor. Help from family. I threw all that away. They wanted to help but I didn't accept it. All I wanted was to drink.

I have been sober for a few weeks and it was wonderful. I want that again. I just can't resist the beer.

I'm hoping for a new start tomorrow. It's getting scary. I'm sometimes waking up feeling so sick that it feels like I'm close to something serious. And I want to live a happy life, not die a drunk at 34.

I have no idea what to do. Which makes me my call for help!
Old 10-27-2015, 05:54 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Do your best

Hi I would stop drinking immediately & book a Dr apt today there is no tomorrow when things are like this

We only have today you can do this
Old 10-27-2015, 07:06 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

You can have the sober life again. Its not gonna be easy... but please stay positive
Old 10-27-2015, 07:09 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by Ben0090 View Post
I have no idea what to do. Which makes me my call for help!
Welcome back Ben. I'd recommend seeing a doctor or drug/alcohol counselor. Looking back at all of your old posts your situation today is not new and you've been in the same situation many times. Nothing will change until you take action. You may need to go to a detox or rehab center to get started and then move into a more structured recovery program, but at this point you need to be physically detoxed and that can probably only happen under medical supervison based on your inability to quit and take care of yourself. You could even go to the emergency room if you don't have a regular doctor to see.

Take action and do it now, because things will get worse even if that doesn't seem possible.
Old 10-27-2015, 08:09 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I agree with everyone else form a plan and stop. My downfall was beer and pizza too, loved em both. Fortunately you don't have to give up the pizza! But do please give up the beer.

I know how it is, the cold anxiety relief provided in a can. But the aftermath is horrible. Think about how much it affects us if we can't simply just stop drinking this liquid!

I quit by just taking it one day at a time, start today, don't worry about drinking tomorrow until tomorrow happens. Focus on not drinking and just going to sleep, do that each day and soon enough you'll have weeks, then months, then years etc. Its tough but it can be done!
Old 10-27-2015, 08:22 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

My first hurdle is the terrible anxiety I get the day after. And the only solution is to get rid of it with beer. But the longer I'm doing this, the worse the morning-anxiety gets.

It's the idea to drink just one more day but to relieve the anxiety for that day. And deal with it tomorrow. That has been going on for a long while now and obviously doesn't work.

When I'm drinking, I don't feel anxiety. And it allows me to think "Just quit tomorrow. You're far too scared. Just remember how you feel now. No fear."

But then you sober up and there's the anxiety again.

I know it gets less bad. In the couple of weeks that I didn't drink, it went away. But it's gotten to a point where it's so heavy that I can't take it and drink to get rid of it. And once the drinking has started, another day is lost.

So a first step for me would be to be able to handle the initial anxiety. What are good ways of doing so?
Old 10-27-2015, 08:28 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

So a first step for me would be to be able to handle the initial anxiety. What are good ways of doing so?
A doctor might be able to give you a prescription to relieve withdrawal symptoms.

When I felt that it was impossible to quit drinking, I went to the hospital and they referred me to a no-cost detox program.
Old 10-27-2015, 08:32 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Best way is to quit the alcohol. I know with my initial sobriety I had a good month of crippling anxiety that almost caused me to lose my job and my well-being.

Secondly and I stress this alot is go see a therapist or a counselor. Get into some type of recovery. Go into rehab if it feels like too much. Mostly see a doctor to make sure none of the withdrawal effects are going to cause any damage.

Thirdly, just know that it will get better. I for one am still experiencing anxiety here and there at almost 4 months but nothing compared to that first month of sobriety. I also did it without medication, which looking back I probably should have at least tried rehab longer than I did.

Ultimately though, you have to want to quit more than the desire to drink otherwise once the anxiety hits and it will hit, you'll just want to drink again. Don't get to my point though, where the panic attacks began to not be alleviated by alcohol and just came on regardless, so I had panic attacks and alcoholism, a very scary combination.
Old 10-27-2015, 08:50 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

This is very helpful. Thank you all.

You know, the anxiety has gotten so bad, that on days that I can't drink just because I feel so miserable from the night before, I would stay in bed all day. It it truly crippling anxiety. Afraid to go to the bathroom even.

I'm setting my mind to the attitude of accepting the anxiety and still getting out of bed and go about my day. I used to have the attitude that since I felt miserable, I should stay in bed. That just makes it worse.

Time to give it another shot. And learn along the way.
Old 10-27-2015, 08:54 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

You know, the anxiety has gotten so bad, that on days that I can't drink just because I feel so miserable from the night before, I would stay in bed all day. It it truly crippling anxiety. Afraid to go to the bathroom even.
For me it got so bad that I still had the anxiety even while drinking. It gets progressively worse and worse.

Id' still highly recommend seeing a doctor or drug/alcohol rehab counselor. The only solution is to stop drinking...period. But you may need medical assistance with that, withdrawal can be dangerous, especially once you have developed a physical dependance.

Bottom line, you can do this...but it will require action on your part.not just talk. Call your doctor or a counselor today.
Old 10-27-2015, 09:22 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

You have our support Ben. Please don't give up.

Your post shakes me...I'm coming up on 10 months sober in a few weeks...But i could have written your post...Well with the exception of whiskey instead of beer.

And good lord...When the drinking in the morning starts...Well chaos/insanity reigns for me.

When i last drank 10 months ago...I had a VERY hazy/scary 5 day binge.

Stop today. Have you tried AA? It's helped me. Just having contact to a recovery program EVERY day has saved me numerous times.

We have your back. Stick around and talk to us. I understand. 100% (I'm 34 years old too btw!)
Old 10-27-2015, 09:40 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Jerry,

I merged your two accounts into the JerryFish account.

I'm glad you're back and I understand how difficult anxiety is to deal with.

I strongly recommend:

From Panic to Power by Lucinda Bassett
When Panic Attacks by David Burns MD
Old 10-27-2015, 09:45 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ScottFromWI View Post
Welcome back Ben. I'd recommend seeing a doctor or drug/alcohol counselor. Looking back at all of your old posts your situation today is not new and you've been in the same situation many times. Nothing will change until you take action. You may need to go to a detox or rehab center to get started and then move into a more structured recovery program, but at this point you need to be physically detoxed and that can probably only happen under medical supervison based on your inability to quit and take care of yourself. You could even go to the emergency room if you don't have a regular doctor to see.

Take action and do it now, because things will get worse even if that doesn't seem possible.
^^^^ Really great advice here, JerryFish. I hope that you take it to heart and start your journey to sobriety and recovery today.

Welcome back.
Old 10-27-2015, 09:49 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

The opportunity to do this the "easy" way may have passed you by. By "easy" I mean on your own.

So I suggest detox and rehab. It will save your life.
Old 10-27-2015, 09:51 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
C23
Resident Awesome Guy

Originally Posted by JerryFish View Post
My first hurdle is the terrible anxiety I get the day after. And the only solution is to get rid of it with beer. But the longer I'm doing this, the worse the morning-anxiety gets.

It's the idea to drink just one more day but to relieve the anxiety for that day. And deal with it tomorrow. That has been going on for a long while now and obviously doesn't work.

When I'm drinking, I don't feel anxiety. And it allows me to think "Just quit tomorrow. You're far too scared. Just remember how you feel now. No fear."

But then you sober up and there's the anxiety again.

I know it gets less bad. In the couple of weeks that I didn't drink, it went away. But it's gotten to a point where it's so heavy that I can't take it and drink to get rid of it. And once the drinking has started, another day is lost.

Sounds just like my story. For me, I had to get on medication to get my anxiety in order first. Once I was able to see the world a lot clearer, it was easier good me to decide that the booze wasn't necessary to "calm" myself down. Also, find things you like to do that might get your mind focused in another direction. Mediation, prayer, movies, hell even the adult coloring books for anxiety have worked.
Old 10-27-2015, 11:38 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
JD
You're not shackled to not drinking, you're free from drinking

Jerry, look into mindful meditation. There are some good apps for your phone that can get you started. Mind space and calm are two I know. It's really helped me with anxiety. Just 10 minutes a day is all it takes to learn.
Old 10-27-2015, 12:13 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Welcome back Jerry!!

Keep it simple Jerry, sometimes the one day at a time mantra really fits, we can't keep drinking because we feel anxiety, or life throws us situations, that's not a long term solution, alcohol is not the answer!!

You can do this!!
Old 10-27-2015, 06:27 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

The alcohol is messing with your brain, and it is lying to you. I know how you feel. I had terrible anxiety and felt the impending doom. I even logically knew that it was the alcohol that was causing this. I knew the world was not going to end tomorrow, but I still had the feelings you describe. I eventually blocked off 3 days of my calendar and nursed myself back to health. I did this twice in my life. After the 2nd one, I said no more! . Its just not worth it. I still struggled on occasion, but never had to block 3 days off my calendar ever again. I remember you very well JerryFish, hang in there. Seek medical help if you can.
Old 10-27-2015, 11:53 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Of course we remember you, JerryFish! I'm glad you made it back, and I'm sorry you're going through a rough patch. Don't give up! Your sober time wasn't wasted, you have learned something from it. You don't fail when you fall, just when you refuse to get back up.
Old 10-28-2015, 02:01 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Welcome back JerryFish! I hope this time you can get sober

We're all rooting for you!