Notices

Get Support Here Weekender October 23 until...Part 2

Old 10-25-2015, 04:39 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  

G'night friends. See ya tomorrow, and I'll be watching for the bus next weekend, too.
Old 10-25-2015, 04:50 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by BixBees505 View Post
G'night friends. See ya tomorrow, and I'll be watching for the bus next weekend, too.
The sober weekend bus has been a huge component of my sobriety,
I started out just copying what everyone else is doing haha.
Ok, people are going for walks, they're cooking, restoring old furniture, going to the markets etc.
I just started mimicking them.

I used to do all of this stuff before alcohol got the best of me over the last year or two, it just took some practice getting back into a normal life.
I forgot what I liked, so I just started copying the people here for ideas of how to get back on track in life.
I still do it, if someone is cooking something delicious, I do too.
If you're trying to stay sober and don't know what the hell you're doing, follow others for a bit, that's helped me
Xoxo

Xoxo
Old 10-25-2015, 04:52 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Jsbodhi View Post
I still do it, if someone is cooking something delicious, I do too.
I suggest copying the people on the sober bus for a bit.
Xoxo

Xoxo
Yup, the tuna casserole is in the oven. I've been jonesing for it for a whole day now.
Old 10-25-2015, 04:53 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  
...holds the key

Sweet dreams Bixbees! And we're around all week, actually! Miscreant rogues is what we are starting Mondays! Ha!

I like that song too Venecia.

I know you're a world traveler Jen. Your Romania trip was what started my wheels turning! And I love your advice to Bixbees! That's what I did when I first quit too! I didn't know how to live or what to do so I copied the old timers! Yay!

Finally got that pizza. Thin crust this time and it was really good! Cheese, tomatoes, and peppers yum!
Old 10-25-2015, 04:58 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by brynn View Post
Sweet dreams Bixbees! And we're around all week, actually! Miscreant rogues is what we are starting Mondays! Ha!

I know you're a world traveler Jen. Your Romania trip was what started my wheels turning! And I love your advice to Bixbees! That's what I did when I first quit too! I didn't know how to live or what to do so I copied the old timers! Yay!

Finally got that pizza. Thin crust this time and it was really good! Cheese, tomatoes, and peppers yum!
That's interesting because you were one of the major deciding factors for me to take that trip to Romania.
I was worried I couldn't afford it; you weren't well health wise at the time, and told me to go because I might not get the chance again; so I went
Xoxo
I definitely think you should go somewhere you've always wanted to go
Old 10-25-2015, 05:06 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  
...holds the key

Aww I didn't know that Jen! I'm seriously thinking about it
Xo
Old 10-25-2015, 05:09 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  

Aww I didn't know that Jen! I'm seriously thinking about it
Xo
It's always very sentimental to me how people affect your life in some way and they have no idea that they have.
I'm glad that trip got your wheels turning, I also had no idea
Old 10-25-2015, 05:18 PM
  # 48 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

I remember when all that was happening in our class. I got inspired to do some traveling again, too, but I can't swing it financially right now. Soon, though. I want to take my son to DC. He hasn't been there yet, and I was a teen last time I was there. We will definitely do that next summer. But I'd like a solo trip too. Not sure where or when. It will happen.
Old 10-25-2015, 05:20 PM
  # 49 (permalink)  

I've had a good weekend and stayed sober! Have a good night everyone.
Old 10-25-2015, 05:22 PM
  # 50 (permalink)  

((((Hug)))) Brynn, Della, and MLD!
Not many other people from are class are still around
I wonder if it's like that for every class?

I love weekend bus too xoxo
Old 10-25-2015, 05:28 PM
  # 51 (permalink)  

The weekend bus is great -- a real way to stay connected. My class has been an anchor of my sobriety but after two years, we ebb and flow quite a bit. There are about six or seven of us there now, though it's been like that for a long time now. We seem to have lost one of the regulars from the first year; another disappeared and then popped back a couple months ago to let us know he continues to do well.
Old 10-25-2015, 05:28 PM
  # 52 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by waywardson8260 View Post
I've had a good weekend and stayed sober! Have a good night everyone.
Yay!!! That's awesome, getting through the weekend takes a lot!
Old 10-25-2015, 05:31 PM
  # 53 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Venecia View Post
The weekend bus is great -- a real way to stay connected. My class has been an anchor of my sobriety but after two years, we ebb and flow quite a bit. There are about six or seven of us there now, though it's been like that for a long time now. We seem to have lost one of the regulars from the first year; another disappeared and then popped back a couple months ago to let us know he continues to do well.
My class anchors my sobriety too, once in a while someone drops in to say hi, but there's only about 3-4 regulars.
I'm proud to say that the ones still active have been sober since last dec!!!!
Except me, I've been relapsing all year, I'm a slow learner in comparison, but I'm getting there!
Old 10-25-2015, 05:58 PM
  # 54 (permalink)  

Jen and Brynn and Marty- I got happy chills reading about the positive influence you've had on each other!!

Isn't it weird that a cyber hug here can feel as warm a hug in person? And how amazing it feels when we acknowledge and support each other's experience? I love it!

I enjoy the clarity we have here of just commenting on what is said and presented- sometimes when I talk with my best friend of 20 years I hesitate to share certain things bc I know what triggers her self-righteous lecturing button. Once that button is pushed I can expect to hear many things about how we chose our experience at birth in the universe, or the universe chose our experience, I get them mixed up bc I tune out. It's so freaking annoying.

Jen, what you wrote about mimicking what the sober people here did in order to get back to normalcy.... That was marvelous. Marvelous.

xoxo
Old 10-25-2015, 06:28 PM
  # 55 (permalink)  

And great discussions on how to live life here....now I want to take a trip by myself. Maybe Ireland or Scotland. ..I always wanted to go there. I need to pick somewhere safe.
Great weekend. ...it was relaxing and I got a lot done, also. I'm feeling pretty happy tonight.
Old 10-25-2015, 06:30 PM
  # 56 (permalink)  

Hooray!!

I didn't know the bus kept rolling, Brynn!! I'm really glad to hear it! Miscreant Rogues sounds about right-- now I know the tag to find you in the BlueBird parking lot and climb aboard!

Jsbodhi...it is really good to hear that you imitated other people's descriptions of normal life while you built back your own.
Really I can't tell you how much that means.
  # 57 (permalink)  
...holds the key

Della is on that list too Melina!

Waywardson...way to go on a successful weekend!

Flipping channels between Brain Surgery live on Nat Geo and Queen live in Montreal 1982. Sweet!
  # 58 (permalink)  

Bodhi, you're brave. I have been to China but my one solo part of the trip was venturing out of the hotel in Shanghai at night to buy beer at a street vendor. Crying is just fine.

Brynn, I went to the Florida Keys by myself for a week. I was totally comfortable and it was empowering to do it on my own. Just have to exercise street smarts and common sense.

I've been butting heads with my ten year old son all day. It's constant lately. And I've been consciously trying to not be on SR or otherwise electronically occupied.

Behan, sounds like a fun time and delicious meal.
Old 10-25-2015, 06:42 PM
  # 59 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ruby2 View Post
Bodhi, you're brave. I have been to China but my one solo part of the trip was venturing out of the hotel in Shanghai at night to buy beer at a street vendor. Crying is just fine.

Brynn, I went to the Florida Keys by myself for a week. I was totally comfortable and it was empowering to do it on my own. Just have to exercise street smarts and common sense.

I've been butting heads with my ten year old son all day. It's constant lately. And I've been consciously trying to not be on SR or otherwise electronically occupied.

Behan, sounds like a fun time and delicious meal.
What happened is that I entered the pin to my bank card wrong, all the buttons were in Chinese; so I went for it and tried to enter the code as it would be in the western world.
Soooo, it ate my bank card.

I spent 2 hours at a phone in China trying to call my bank.
It literally took over 2 hours to figure out how go make an international call, because no one spoke english and the operator was speaking Chinese.....
I finally got though and told my bank what happened.
They told me to go to my local branch for a new card.
I started crying ( as usual) and told them I was in China and there was no way to get to a local branch.
So I sat in the curb and cried as Chinese people took photos of me, I never did get a new card, other travellers saved me.

Eventually an american girl stumbled across me and lent me money and took me home.
Needless to say, she's one of my best friends ever in life.

I do speak mandarin now haha! At least I learned something!
Old 10-25-2015, 06:56 PM
  # 60 (permalink)  

Good for you, Brynn - and Venecia sure does have some good advice! Like many here I have traveled alone all over the world. Of course, being a dude it might be a bit different..but I've met plenty of women on my journeys who are exploring solo, and very much enjoy the experience. As a non-drinker, I've learned to keep my sightseeing to mornings and afternoons...nothing good can happen after dark to wide-eyed travelers, especially those of us with a history of alcohol problems. Good on ya for thinking about doing something new.