Notices

Fabat50 has a stupid question...

Old 10-25-2015, 06:21 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Fabat50 View Post
I too am bipolar. That interests me.. you honestly feel on a more even keel since you stopped drinking?
I am also bipolar and I can tell you that since quitting drinking that I have not only been on an even keel but that my depressive episodes have been over almost as quickly as they have started. My bipolar illness is now a totally manageable illness! My family can not believe the positive change in me and have begged me never to drink again. Alcohol was eradicating the medication that I was taking for my bipolar and seriously intensifying my despression.
Old 10-25-2015, 07:03 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Good luck man! I'd agree with others who view detox as more of a physical thing. Overcoming the urge to drink, on the other hand, is a mental game that can take much longer. That takes months for some, years for others, and weeks for others. Recovery is a marathon, and once you admit to yourself that you have an issue, and commit to the long haul, you're going to hit your stride. Welcome and good luck again.
Old 10-25-2015, 10:36 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Initial detox for me was usually 5-7 days, and that's when the real work of recovery starts. Exercise is an excellent idea; I use yoga and cycling to replace the drink. I will have five months this week and am much happier. The farther away from your last drink the better and more healed you will be.
Old 10-26-2015, 12:47 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Fabat50 View Post
And as Frickaflip mentioned waist lines..!

For those of you who are sober.... how long before you started to lose that bloated puffy look... bags under your eyes...etc? I don't look at myself in the mirror anymore. My face is sad and swollen. I don't recognise myself.
There is likely to be a high degree of variance to how soon/how much you will see results in appearance from person to person....

Example: When my dad quit drinking in his '40's it didn't really change his looks at all or his weight/size. He always was a handsome, fit devil and continued to be...The fact that he always ate well, stayed very active and didn't have any other health problems was probably a factor...so I think one has to consider the overall HEALTH of the individual aside from the drinking issue.

But I have to say that no matter where a person is at with their health, stopping alcohol intake is always a healthy option! And a positive one. You have nothing to lose by quitting and so much positive to GAIN...

Blessed Be...
Old 10-26-2015, 02:00 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Fab,

You are right, this is a great place.

Sadly, the answer to your questions is, as you have seen, it depends.

But for me the first time was easier than the second etc. So the on and off again cycle would not be a good idea for me.

Good luck. We are here.
Old 10-26-2015, 03:19 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Jackandbess2 View Post
I am also bipolar and I can tell you that since quitting drinking that I have not only been on an even keel but that my depressive episodes have been over almost as quickly as they have started. My bipolar illness is now a totally manageable illness! My family can not believe the positive change in me and have begged me never to drink again. Alcohol was eradicating the medication that I was taking for my bipolar and seriously intensifying my despression.
That's really encouraging. How long since you stopped?
Old 10-26-2015, 09:03 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

A lot of it is mental. You need to find a way to push those urges off to the side. That is easier said than done. It sucks. Its hard.