Notices

Dinner Party

Old 10-24-2015, 03:18 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
JD
You're not shackled to not drinking, you're free from drinking

Dinner Party

I've been thinking about this a few times today and hope writing about it gets it out of my mind. My wife invited two couples over for dinner tonight. One guy is a dr. on call so I probably won't be the only one not drinking. But I don't think I would anyway and that's not really the issue. I'm having those thoughts of why can't I be a normal drinker? I know it doesn't really matter, the fact is I'm not. But the AV isn't necessarily buying into that.

So anyway, just wanted to get this out there.
Old 10-24-2015, 03:27 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi jd....we had some couples over not long after I quit drinking. They had already been invited. I struggled a bit with the same thoughts as you....especially just before they arrived. I had plenty of club soda and various juices etc to mix for me. Interestingly some of the others chose that too.

Once the conversation started flowing I got comfortable rather quickly. Stay the course. You'll build your sober muscles and wake with a smile tomorrow morning.

Wishing you the best.
Old 10-24-2015, 04:01 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

This is the million dollar question. My 28 year old daughter died of cancer. I can't drink normally. Why? I don't know but that changes nothing. I do know she is gone and if I drink I will be meeting her sooner than later
Old 10-24-2015, 04:11 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Adventurer

MIR sums the debate up perfectly. We can't drink normal and that is just the way it goes, the sooner you realize this the faster you can recover in mind and body.

I know I fought that question for years and years until I realized it wasn't a question but a fact. Yes I can't drink like other people ever because it will lead to my demise and that is irrefutable.