# 21 (permalink)  

welcome !
Old 10-25-2015, 11:05 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum Lotets!!
Old 10-25-2015, 02:33 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

How's today gone Lotets?

My situation was a carbon copy of your own.

I used to associate football with boozing and it took ages to get out of the mess I'd found myself in.

I hope all went well mate,

Bruno.
Old 10-25-2015, 03:08 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Hope it's going well today, Lotets. I remember those first few 'sleeps', but the misery does end and we begin to heal.
Old 10-26-2015, 12:05 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

I didn't drink yesterday!!!!!! God I was so close to buying some but didn't. Slept really well last night and beat the alarm clock to waking this morning too.

Apart from the massive cravings which drive me absolutely crackers the "positives" are growing....
Old 10-26-2015, 02:51 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Do your best

Old 10-26-2015, 03:17 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Hi - welcome to the SR forum, from another UK member.

There's a lot of great advice and support on here. I hope you find it useful. Keep posting, whether you're feeling positive, or that things are becoming a bit overwhelming. Sometimes it's when things are at their most challenging that people here can help us to stay on track. It was the people here that got me through a hen weekend in Berlin without taking a drink. And who encouraged me to keep going when I felt that everything was hopeless.

It's worth thinking about a sobriety plan in general. A bit like a risk assessment of all the slippery people; places; times of day / week / month; and events that could be troublesome to your sobriety. Thinking of strategies that will get you past those.

Have you checked out the face-to-face resources in your area? Many people on here make use of AA (I am one of those), SMART and other groups as part of their sobriety plans.

I remember thinking that all that stuff seemed a little like making too big a deal of it all. Surely with a bit of will power I could fight those urges and they'd start to disappear. Gradually I realised that there is a big difference between staying sober (not drinking) and recovery (learning to LIVE sober, and be happy and have a 'healthy' sobriety). Once I'd stopped drinking I started to realise quite how many issued I'd been using alcohol to patch over and muddle through, and it was time for me to start to find new ways of dealing with those things if I was going to be happy. One book that really helped with that was the AA publication 'Living Sober' (it's only little, but full of things that helped me understand my alcoholism and how to move forward).

Good luck, and again, welcome to SR.