Notices

Vomiting those guts out...

Old 10-23-2015, 06:32 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

I had my first episode this summer of throwing up due to drinking.........I threw up 3 times in a row within 3 or less minutes. I definitely had alcohol poisoning and I was sick for days and the withdrawal included night sweats for 2 weeks. There's nothing wrong w showing your concern for someone who is that sick.
Old 10-23-2015, 10:04 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I would avoid ANYONE who tried to talk to me in an airport bathroom. All kinds of alarm bells would be ringing in my head. But that's just me though
Old 10-23-2015, 10:45 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Its nice to think about the poor chap but I don't think I'd interfere as juppe posts . He probably wants to be invisible .

I get what your saying though ,you have good intentions .

It took me back to when I would be spewing in a public toilet trying to force a can of cider down me .
Old 10-23-2015, 11:52 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

You are probraly right in assuming it's from alcohol. You were there and know the context, so you would know best. How many times does anyone have to go through that? I guess you never know. If an alcoholic it could be countless . A normie usually just one or two.
The lucky ones get sobriety at some point.
And I do admire your willingness to help.
Old 10-24-2015, 05:02 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

To me... The really odd thing is how the majority of people wouldn't help or offer so much as a kind word.
Old 10-24-2015, 07:02 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

I think it's because we're cut from a different cloth, Free Owl, the "been there" one. I suspect there's only limited sympathy out there among those who've not walked a mile in our shoes.
Old 10-24-2015, 01:42 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
dcg
D♭7♭9♯9♯11♭13

Originally Posted by FreeOwl View Post
To me... The really odd thing is how the majority of people wouldn't help or offer so much as a kind word.
There's a huge difference between asking, "Hey, buddy, you ok?" while he's between vomiting and asking that (when he's out of the stall) while offering your business card, asserting that you think he's an an alcoholic who needs help.

Originally Posted by Venecia View Post
I think it's because we're cut from a different cloth, Free Owl, the "been there" one. I suspect there's only limited sympathy out there among those who've not walked a mile in our shoes.
What cloth would that be, the cloth of presumption? This is really the wrong forum to suggest people who wouldn't do this haven't "been there" nor haven't walked a mile in your shoes (in 29 years of abusing alcohol, I've walked in pretty much everyone's shoes at one time or another...)

If the guy puking his guts out before getting on a plane is due to alcohol, then that's reminder enough that he needs to start making better choices. He doesn't need a guy, who he certainly will perceive as self-righteous, telling him that he's been there and that there's a better way in life. If he's a drunk, then he already knows that. Sobriety isn't a secret.

That said, I don't necessarily think a douchey prod from a stranger is a bad thing, but I don't see the scenario in the OP as having certain conditions met for it to be appropriate, imo, but whatever....
Old 10-24-2015, 02:15 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by dcg View Post
There's a huge difference between asking, "Hey, buddy, you ok?" while he's between vomiting and asking that (when he's out of the stall) while offering your business card, asserting that you think he's an an alcoholic who needs help. What cloth would that be, the cloth of presumption? This is really the wrong forum to suggest people who wouldn't do this haven't "been there" nor haven't walked a mile in your shoes (in 29 years of abusing alcohol, I've walked in pretty much everyone's shoes at one time or another...) If the guy puking his guts out before getting on a plane is due to alcohol, then that's reminder enough that he needs to start making better choices. He doesn't need a guy, who he certainly will perceive as self-righteous, telling him that he's been there and that there's a better way in life. If he's a drunk, then he already knows that. Sobriety isn't a secret. That said, I don't necessarily think a douchey prod from a stranger is a bad thing, but I don't see the scenario in the OP as having certain conditions met for it to be appropriate, imo, but whatever....
Still get it. Still feel differently.

Old 10-24-2015, 02:18 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

If the person is NOT a person with an addiction issue, maybe they walk away thinking 'what a douche'.

I'm willing to accept being thought of as a douche, if there is a reasonable chance that it's a person who IS dealing with an addiction issue and in that moment, there is a chance that someone taking a chance and reaching out might help change their life for the better. I guess it's just how I'm wired.

#callmedouchey
Old 10-24-2015, 02:35 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  
dcg
D♭7♭9♯9♯11♭13

If the person is NOT a person with an addiction issue, maybe they walk away thinking 'what a douche'.

I'm willing to accept being thought of as a douche, if there is a reasonable chance that it's a person who IS dealing with an addiction issue and in that moment, there is a chance that someone taking a chance and reaching out might help change their life for the better. I guess it's just how I'm wired.

#callmedouchey
Don't forget #arrogant. Anyway, I think your good intentions will have a higher hit ratio (addict to non-addict) at a bar.
Old 10-24-2015, 03:02 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

I got some kind of sickness during a flight to London. (Before I drank too much so had nothing to drink) . Fainted out of the blue and threw up on the flight. . Landed in Heathrow and threw up in many trashcans before making it to the bathroom. I couldn't eat for days, first
vacation I lost weight. A whole size!

I bet people DID think I drank too much on a flight, might have been offended if approached with that concern. Guess you never know
Old 10-24-2015, 03:04 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

I still get it. You disagree. Do you need me to change my perspective and my beliefs?

Because believe it or not, those might be beyond your control.
Old 10-24-2015, 03:35 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  
dcg
D♭7♭9♯9♯11♭13

I still get it. You disagree. Do you need me to change my perspective and my beliefs?

Because believe it or not, those might be beyond your control.
Perhaps if I offered you my business card you'd reconsider?

I was just letting you know that for everyone you do this on who are NOT addicts they are not only going to think you are a self-important douche, they are going be extremely offended. If you don't care about offending people who you don't know for little suspicion, then go for it. I just think you'd be better served approaching people who you KNOW to be addicts (or have better evidence of such).

Yes, I know you disagree. Yes, I know you're more humanitarian. Yes, I know...
Old 10-24-2015, 03:44 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

I'm sorry if you felt you were being called 'less humanitarian'. If you'll re-read I believe you will find I never said that.

I understand there's a risk of offending someone. I simply believe that when my intuition speaks to me in a situation like that, I'd prefer to follow it.

In this situation, the combination of my intuition and the context left me feelng pretty strongly that I wished I'd had the chance to offer a subtle way to reach out. If I offended someone by saying 'I know what you're going through' - then I suppose there are far worse things.

And I guess at this point, I've attempted every way I know to try and explain my point. I think it's just one we differ on, and that's OK. I'm no 'more humanitarian' than you. I'm just different than you.

Old 10-24-2015, 03:47 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

#agreetodisagree

#allgoodpeoplehere

#civilitymatters
Old 10-24-2015, 03:49 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  
Administrator

Lets all place a ban on the word douche in this context, from here on in.

Dee
SR
Old 10-24-2015, 03:50 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  
dcg
D♭7♭9♯9♯11♭13

I'm sorry if you felt you were being called 'less humanitarian'. If you'll re-read I believe you will find I never said that.
I never said you said that; it is, however, your disposition. A post like the one below illustrates that.

Old 10-24-2015, 04:38 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Ok
Old 10-24-2015, 04:58 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  
dcg
D♭7♭9♯9♯11♭13

lol
Old 10-24-2015, 05:43 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  

FreeOwl....Concern from a stranger probably would've had more impact when I was drinking then if someone close brought it up. If a stranger could figure out what a mess I was, well then....what does that say. I don't think you're a "Summers Eve" because of it at all. You have a kind and caring heart.