Notices

Stick with the winners

Old 10-22-2015, 06:04 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Stick with the winners

I really hate that crap they say in aa. Stick with the winners. So there are losers there. What the hell is this supposed to mean snd how does this help anyone. It use to make me think sometimes maybe im one of the losers anyway it didnt help me any. Anyone have an opinion on this one?
Old 10-22-2015, 06:13 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

I look at it as just another way of saying "Keep coming back."
Old 10-22-2015, 06:42 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
everything is already ok

Sometimes the words don't convey the intent, but look deeper than the one liners, look at the literature and look for people who seem to have something you want, like a good life ot they seem happy or a strong message of recovery and go talk to them as they are the ones living the program
Old 10-22-2015, 06:47 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I personally don't like many of the AA slogans and cliches, but I just ignore it. Also, some meetings are much less into that.
Old 10-22-2015, 06:49 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

If AA is helping you stay sober, that's all that matters.

If AA isn't working for you, there are other options like SMART.
Old 10-22-2015, 07:04 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

What worked for me with AA was to take from AA what worked for me.

I didn't click with everything that went on and was said in meetings, but the steps, the Big Book and the consistent place to go to find face to face understanding and experience are really important and powerful elements of my sobriety
Old 10-22-2015, 08:18 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

My interpretation of that statement is: stick with those who are doing well. Use them as your inspiration.

I don't participate in AA, but I think a lot of the AA sayings make good points.
Old 10-22-2015, 08:42 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

It's interesting to see how everyone sees this slogan I just feel there should b a better way of saying something if it means to hang out with people that r doing well in the program. I just find it to b a harsh way of saying something and a newcomer can take it wrong. I just wonder why we can't just say things straight instead of these slogans with the "deep meanings" behind it. I don't want to try and figure out what everything means. I'm just gonna ignore what I don't understand and not get obsessive over it. Just like what I just read someone said they ignore these things that's what I need to do. If it's gonna bother me ignore it move on and focus on something I'll take positively cause I can't help but to see that as a negative slogan despite its deep meaning just not crazy for that phrasing. Thanks everyone for your opinions. Very interesting to see others point of view