Notices

My Experience Of Delirium Tremens

Old 10-22-2015, 05:23 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

My Experience Of Delirium Tremens

Hi Everyone,
This is my first post.. I thought I would share my experiences with attempting to stay sober while it is still fresh in my mind. I have been a binge drinker since I was 18 years old. I am now 32 years old. I really did not start noticing withdrawal symptoms until this year but I am sure some of the nasty hangovers in the past were withdrawal symptoms also. I started reading a lot about alcohol withdrawal when I started noticing my "hangovers" were lasting 3-4 days after a binge. I am a business owner with my father and this year was the year that I really started falling off. At first I would take a couple days off to recover from my binges then it would be a week, then a couple weeks, and then a whole month. I would attempt to come into the office to take care of some necessary things that needed to be done but it was totally sporadic. It got to the point that my father needed to get an assistant to take care of my day to day work like answering phone calls and making appointments for estimates. We are in the construction industry so it is vital to keep up with existing clients and future prospective ones. My last binge was a 28 day bender that I only remember portions of. I was drinking close to a 750 Ml bottle of cognac a day and passing out only to drink again to pass out. My parents were really worried about me and my mom was coming over constantly to try to get me to eat and stop drinking. I was hiding beers all over the place and would drink in the bathroom when they were over. My mom ended up calling the ambulance because I was so sick and my stomach was so bloated from I'm guessing a fatty liver and some gas. I went to the ER that day and they wanted to do blood work on me. I was scared to find out what was going on and ended up pulling out my IV and heading to the liquor store for a another bottle of cognac. When I was in the ambulance I even had a bottle and drank the rest of it when the paramedics left the ambulance for a couple minutes. I decided that I had to quit this. I was destroying my body, worrying my family and messing up the business we worked so hard to make successful. I decided to take a flight to my cousins house to get away from any triggers I may have in town. Of course I went to the airport plastered. My flight got delayed so I went to the airport pub and started drinking beers. I ended up missing my flight. When I went to the information desk they refused to take me on another flight because they said I was too drunk. I ended up getting ushered out by the Sheriffs and they almost took me to the county jail for being rude and obnoxious. I finally made it to the airport the next day.... still drunk. I finally made it to my destination but not without a cocktail on flight and 2 beers while I was waiting for my cousin to pick me up from the airport. While I was at her house I tried to wean off the alcohol with beer. Starting off with a stronger lager the first day with about 8 beers and cutting down for the next 3 days. I slipped on the 4th day and bought a small bottle of cognac and also drank beer. I got there on Monday and on Friday I decided to go cold turkey. I was pretty much passed out most of the time for the first 3 days could not eat, or drink water without throwing it all up. I finally starting getting some food in me on Thursday. I could not sleep at all. I was up for a total of 3 nights until Sunday came around. I felt better that day besides the tremors and heavy sweating but I was able to eat a good amount of food, was taking vitamins, and drinking a lot of water. On the 50th hour of my cold turkey detox it hit. I was actually about to go to sleep but then I felt like my head exploded. My heart starting racing and I could feel it beating abnormally. I could literally feel my heart stop and then race, stop and then race again. I started shaking violently and it was hard to breath. I begged my cousins to call 911 because I have read that DT's were fatal. I walked out to the front of the apartment complex still shaking violently and it was very hard to breath. I thought I was going to die. The firemen and ambulance finally showed up and they put me on a heart rate monitor. My heart rate was at 180 BPM while sitting down and sweating profusely. I could see all the paramedics were looking at me waiting for me to croak. They would not even look at me... Just commenting on what they saw on the machine. They finally got me on the gurney and I started calming down a little. My heart rate went down to 150 and I was not sweating as much. When I finally got to the ER everything I was looking at was in a fuzzy haze like there was fog in the room. I honestly thought I was dead and this was the afterlife. Once I got into my room I had rationalized that this was actually a dream. When my cousin came in I asked her if this was real and she said yes. I was very surprised. The doctor came in and was asking me questions and I could not even answer. My voice was so shaky and I was still shaking very badly. My cousin told her that I did not think this was reality and that was the last thing I remember from the real world that night. I ended up passing out full blown DT's. From what my family tells me is that I was acting very violently. Every IV or sensor they tried to put on me I was pulling out. I ended up calling my Aunt a b**** pushed my cousin and was calling everyone b****.They even said it looked like I was picking fruit off a tree and making motions of eating it. They ended up having to restrain my hands to my gurney. During this time I was hearing conversations of my family members arguing. It felt so real. My mom was arguing with my Aunt, and also my father. I could hear them say that they didn't want to come see me in this state. Of course all of this were just Hallucinations. I could even see the shadows of them while they were arguing. I ended up waking up the next day with a diaper on with an Ativan IV, and a 24 hour nurse to watch over me. They would not let me eat any food or drink any water for 2 days. My mom ended up catching a flight to watch over me also. I was released from the hospital and decided it was time to go home. I was a away for almost 9 days and I missed my girlfriend, my brother, my pets and my dad. When I was on flight I kept thinking about getting a cocktail..... isn't that so sad....I finally got to my house and continued my road to sobriety. Besides shaking and sweating I was doing much better. I was able to sleep and was eating a lot! Drinking tons of water helped also. I am now on day 13 of my recovery. My last drink was on 10-9-15 at 8PM. I did end up going to the ER again on 10-16-15 because my heart was beating fast again. They prescribed me some Librium but I have not had to take a single dose since my ER visit that day. I feel much better just feeling very tired all the time and sleeping a lot. I even went to a wedding last weekend where everyone of my family members were getting plastered. I drank tea and not a single drop of alcohol. One drink and it would have been over. I think I can do it this time. I mean total abstinence for the rest of my life. I know it is just the beginning but I am afraid to go through the DT's again and do not want to disappoint or hurt my family. I know this was a very long post and I apologize for that. I just wanted to pour my heart out to you guys while it is still fresh in my memory. All those in recovery I wish you luck and my prayers go out to you. Thanks for taking the time to hear my story. There is so much more I want to write but I will save it for another post. Thanks again,
Old 10-22-2015, 05:31 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hard to read bud-- can you edit for paragraphs?
Old 10-22-2015, 05:38 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I read it fine. I wish you all the best. Sounds like you know what you need to do but have you thought about how you are going to do it??
Old 10-22-2015, 05:40 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
JD
You're not shackled to not drinking, you're free from drinking

Welcome J. You'll be glad you found this site. Lots of good people who have been where you have and can offer assistance. Realizing you won't ever drink again is a great start. Work on a plan on how you'll get there.
Old 10-22-2015, 05:48 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome, Jleezy, to SR; very glad that you found us.

I am sorry for your dreadful experience; the good news is that you never have to go through that again.

There are some great threads for you to read; Iwill find them and post them for you.
Old 10-22-2015, 05:48 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome J.
This site can be really helpful. Thank you for your story. Re-read it if you need to remember why not to drink!
j
Old 10-22-2015, 05:49 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...at-we-did.html

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...formation.html

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...at-we-did.html
Old 10-22-2015, 05:50 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

That sounds like a close shave.
I'm glad you made it here Jleezy.

D
Old 10-22-2015, 05:51 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

And I read it fine too. This is now a life or death struggle for you. A hard road upwards and you can do this because others have and you can too. They are right here on this website and are ready to help in any way they can. Also my experience (forty years of episodic drinking and 27 of sobriety) has been that the more friends you have who are into recovery with some success, friends like in AA and elsewhere, the better your chances are. It's like climbing a mountain. You need to get roped on to some others. It's always possible to do it by oneself but its risky, very risky when it's a matter of life and death. All that drinking has changed your body and it's going to take a while to change back. And the more primitive part of your brain is going to suggest all sorts of excuses to get you drinking again. If you fall for that you may never make it back. Get all the help possible, medical, counseling, friends and SoberRecovery. It's like someone I'll always remember said once to me in a rehab, "Let's do this--together!" And we did. Good luck and every good wish.

W.
Old 10-22-2015, 05:56 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

You may also want to consider joining a Class. Here is the link to the Class of October 2015:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-part-3-a.html
Old 10-22-2015, 05:57 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Welcome J. wow, what a scary time for you, and your family. I am glad you are alive and here- its a good place. You will find great support.
wishing you the very best ,
chicory
Old 10-22-2015, 05:58 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thanks for sharing. Great read.That is one rough time. Good luck to you, and welcome!
Old 10-22-2015, 06:17 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by wpainterw View Post
And I read it fine too. This is now a life or death struggle for you. A hard road upwards and you can do this because others have and you can too. They are right here on this website and are ready to help in any way they can. Also my experience (forty years of episodic drinking and 27 of sobriety) has been that the more friends you have who are into recovery with some success, friends like in AA and elsewhere, the better your chances are. It's like climbing a mountain. You need to get roped on to some others. It's always possible to do it by oneself but its risky, very risky when it's a matter of life and death. All that drinking has changed your body and it's going to take a while to change back. And the more primitive part of your brain is going to suggest all sorts of excuses to get you drinking again. If you fall for that you may never make it back. Get all the help possible, medical, counseling, friends and SoberRecovery. It's like someone I'll always remember said once to me in a rehab, "Let's do this--together!" And we did. Good luck and every good wish.

W.
Thank you guys for the support..... I realize it is very hard because I have attempted to stay sober and failed miserably everytime...
Old 10-22-2015, 06:18 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Soberleigh.... Thank you for the all the great info... I will be sure to read all the information you have been kind to send over... Thanks again.
Old 10-22-2015, 06:27 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Thankfully, You will never have to go through that madness again...

Stay close to us...in the early days of my recovery I immersed myself in everything to do with recovery...it became my new addiction.
Old 10-22-2015, 06:31 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Jleezy that's a crazy story. Glad you are with us.
Old 10-22-2015, 06:31 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Jleezy - thank you for taking the time to share your story with us. You're among friends who care - it's so good to meet you.
Old 10-22-2015, 06:34 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome, and you're right that you don't ever have to go through that again.

I'm glad you found us.
Old 10-22-2015, 06:38 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Sounds scary! Glad you're okay...
Old 10-22-2015, 06:42 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I'm very glad you made it out.

Welcome to the biggest club nobody wanted to join

Maybe you could print that out and stick it in your wallet. I find forgetting how bad it was can lead to romanticizing drinking. I keep those awful drinking/early recovery memories fresh in my mind.