Notices

So how many attempts did it take before you got sober?

Old 01-01-2016, 09:49 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

For me I lost count, I can tell you I have been in and out of detox centers and hospitals since 1998.

I went through a Intensive Treatment Program (28 days in patient) about three years ago, it changed my life (modeled after SMART) I was making amazing to me strides and got just over two years sober in, so what happened then as I since relapsed three times, once near death's door.

I didn't see the plan through I made in the program, for me it's that simple and I believe I was over confident because I had some sobriety in.

So when I found myself back in the hospital five times between Nov 13 and Dec 11th of last year, I was desperate to stop, I somehow with help managed to do it, the first thing I did was get the old plan out and I knew where it was, I added to it, set what was priority and I haven't even thought of picking up and I will never drink again, I have never been so serious as I am this time. Yes it's ruined my Christmas as I had no one and I mean no one other than my dog and people I found on these forums.

I have stayed sober since the 12th, my AV for the most part is leaving me alone, probably trying to think of a way to break me but sorry that is not going to happen, I am working my bog plan harder than ever before and I made myself a promise, the first time, I will see the plan through and I will recover and I find it exciting to be able to say I will never drink again.
Old 01-01-2016, 10:33 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Once, which has been my last attempt (1 year now). All the others fails - I was never serious about quitting. I thought I could moderate.

So my advice: when you get serious about quitting, you can absolutely do it.
Old 01-01-2016, 11:59 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

My first attempt at getting sober began on August 11th, 2013 and I have been sober ever since. I had to get honest with myself. The way that I used and drank was different than the normal person. When I drank I alwsys wanted more and with drugs I never wanted to not be under the influence. I know that if I go back to using I will drink the only way I know how to, and that is without moderation. I am an all or nothing person and i had to accept that. I loved the way alcohol and drugs made me feel, but the consequences of them were ruining my life and killing me. Just keep it simple. I knew that I couldn't win the battle with drugs and alcohol, so I SURRENDERED.
Old 01-01-2016, 08:35 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

I lost count as well...I honestly still don't know what made it stick this time...going
on 4 years now...
I was just done.
Really hope you are too!
Happy New Year!
Old 01-01-2016, 10:43 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Once. I was willing and surrendered, though at the time I felt I had given up and was desperate. I had immediate relief and the desire to drink was lifted. . I have reconnected with my Higher Power and pray. I attend regular AA meetings, have a Sponsor and am doing my 12 Step work. I have commitments at my meetings and am of service in and out of the rooms. My social life has just naturally become the new friends I have made in the rooms of recovery. I love my life and I commit to another 24 hours of recovery each day by signing in at the 24 Hour thread here at SR.
Bobbi
Old 01-02-2016, 03:07 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Purpleknight View Post
Welcome to the Forum Alegresempre!!
Thank you.😊
Old 01-03-2016, 08:36 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

I've been sober since Oct 18th and this is the first -- and last -- time I quit. I realize that's not a very long time but it is for me! I'm going through a divorce and child custody is on the line...and a glass or five of chardonnay isn't worth not seeing my son. He deserves a sober mommy.
Old 01-03-2016, 09:22 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Brother of the Wolf

I don't know how many times I quit, only to pick the bottle back up again. What I do know is the last time I quit before my relapse, I had over three years of sobriety under my belt and thought that it was all just nonsense that most people relapse at some point before achieving permanent sobriety. Then came the day when I let my AV tell me that I had learned enough to drink like a "normal" person. So, however many tries it took me to get sober, I know it was one more than I expected.
Old 01-04-2016, 02:16 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

The last time (this time) was the ONLY attempt where I accepted that I would never drink again and I was actually okay with that decision.

I accepted, fully, that I would never learn to moderate my drinking.
Old 01-04-2016, 03:32 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

This is my first attempt at giving up alcohol, over 7 months ago now.

I had a few short time outs over my 35 year drinking career, but they were always just tests to "prove" I didn't have a problem, not attempts to quit. As a binge drinker I was used to going a few days at a time without a drink, which I think helped mask my problem from myself. I thought if I was an alcoholic I'd need a drink every day. For some reason all the blackouts, the damaged relationships, the Career Retarding Incidents, the constant humiliations weren't enough evidence for me.

I know it's a permanent decision, because I genuinely don't want to drink now. feel a huge weight has lifted from my shoulders. I don't feel like I'm denying myself anything, or self sacrificing, I just feel happier. Much happier. For me it was a combination of this site, AVRT and Allen Carr's How to Control Your Drinking which finally made me realise that everything I'd ever thought about alcohol was wrong.
Old 01-04-2016, 04:06 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

This is my third time (the first two attempts only lasted two weeks each). But this time was a quite different. It wasn't brought on by a really bad or embarrassing night or any real bottom. I just woke up Aug 10th, and was sick and tired of being sick and tired. I wasn't suicidal that morning but was definitely very sad and in major pain, physically and mentally. Something inside me that morning kicked in and I knew I didn't want to live the rest of my life in the fog of alcohol, lonely and depressed.
Old 01-04-2016, 04:19 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Over a 15 year period or so I made and broke many, many "promises" to quit or moderate. All the insincere stuff I am sure you have all been through. I didn't really think I was an alcoholic so they were more efforts to drink normally. Despite some genuinely horrifying things happening I never thought I was an alcoholic even though I knew I had a problem with alcohol.

About a year ago I read an article on how alcoholism affects the nervous system and BANG. I knew my deterioration was due to alcohol and that I was an alcoholic. I made one real attempt last year to quit and lasted 11 weeks, that was my first. This is my second. I can feel it that this time is different. I have had enough. I don't even want to drink anymore.
Old 01-04-2016, 04:34 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

I've lost count too. This time I understood that it would kill me and that I was the perpetrator of my own destruction. It wasn't 'it' so much as it was me, and that I wanted to live. I wanted to be part of the world not see it as my enemy or something to fear. I wanted in.