Notices

Xmas Ale Tapping

Old 10-21-2015, 03:51 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Xmas Ale Tapping

Someone please remind me why I want to continue this misery while I listen to all the people having fun downstairs?
Old 10-21-2015, 03:53 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Resolutely Staying Sober ODAAT

Just imagine the regrets you will have tomorrow from your actions while being intoxicated.

I don't know about you, but that has been enough for me lately. I have done enough stupid **** in my life, I refuse to add anymore to my list.

As I look back over my life, I can honestly say that 99.999999999999% of the poor decisions that I have made in my life have been under the influence of alcohol. Nothing good comes from that for people like us who cannot control it's effects on our bodies?

Can you HONESTLY say that you will quit after just one, or what most people would consider a responsible amount? I know that I cannot, kind of like the Pringles jingle, "Once you pop, you can't stop>"
Old 10-21-2015, 03:58 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
JD
You're not shackled to not drinking, you're free from drinking

Re-reading some of your recent posts should help. As much as I'd like a good Xmas ale, the results would be way too many and many more regrets.
Old 10-21-2015, 04:00 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Because true misery comes from the "fun" they're having.
Old 10-21-2015, 04:01 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

How much fun would it actually end up being, SoberinCLE? The outcome is seldom what we imagine it'll be. Our off switch is broken. Glad you posted.
Old 10-21-2015, 04:11 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

It just feels like I'm trying not to have fun. I don't like my job. I don't like being in the house all the time. At least I was fun when I was out. Now winter is almost her. My worst season. I mean I can't handle the loneliness. It's just crushing.

I'm not gonna drink because I told myself I wouldn't but I feel like I'm walking around in a prison cell.
Old 10-21-2015, 04:15 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

So here's what I've learned looking at life through sober eyes: I thought everyone drank like me. But what I see mostly are people who have a few drinks, and then STOP! And they go home and get on with their lives. I don't know how to do that. Once I get one in me, it might as well be a hundred cause I'm not going to stop. And then the cycle begins, hangovers, shakes, anxiety, drink some more, call in sick, skip the kids ballgames...there's no FUN in that.

Does this sound familiar to you?
Old 10-21-2015, 04:21 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Have you tried other things to do?? I had to keep myself really busy early on.
Old 10-21-2015, 04:21 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

SoberinCLE. Just read your last post. What other activities do you like doing? Or is there something you've always wanted to do but haven't? Could get your mind off things, you could develop a new hobby, and maybe meet some people with similar interests.... What you see as a prison I see as a opportunity. Go grab life by the balls, my friend!
Old 10-21-2015, 04:29 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

The simple answer to your question is to calculate the actual amount of "fun" time versus the actual misery time.

You'll probably squeeze a few hours of fun, for about two or three days of misery afterward. Honor yourself. Honor your health and well-being.
Old 10-21-2015, 04:37 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I used to brew beer, so it was a large part of me. I was member of a brewing club, the whole bit. I totally get what you're talking about. You may have a couple hours of fun drinking, then a hangover and wasted day as you recouperate and regret the bad decisions. Not worth it and you know it. Stay strong and find something to do (watch movie or simply get out of the house).
Old 10-21-2015, 04:57 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

Only something as devious as addiction could try and convince you that freedom is a prison cell

If the revelry down stairs is making you upset, put headp[hones on and listen to music, watch TV, rent a movie, go out...

It takes a while to remember that drinking is not the only way to have fun...but think back - unless you started drinking as a tweenie you must have memories of good times without alcohol?

You have a second chance - the world is waiting - don't waste this opportunity by mournfully looking at other people having fun - get amongst it.

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ething-do.html

D
Old 10-21-2015, 06:28 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Yep their fun is going to be hangover, ohmy what did I do last night, I feel like death, i ll never do that again ( only to repeat it), I need to quit this, can't eat today my stomach hurts, need the toilet( top and bottom end) etc... It's always the same story. Not many people admit to it. Because they had FUN! And then lets repeat that!!

Not the fun I want anymore. I'm still looking for a hoddy myself. Not sure what I want to do but I want something more!
Old 10-21-2015, 06:38 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

So, why not get out and find ways to have fun without drinking? What do you enjoy doing - sports, hiking, concerts, anything that you might find enjoyable? And, how about volunteering in your community? It's a great way to socialize and meet new people and give back to your community while having fun.
Old 10-21-2015, 07:58 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Because you will not wake up at 3am insanely thirsty, feeling guilty and worried about needing to do something about your drinking problem. You will wake up in the morning well rested and grateful that you didn't pour anymore of that poison down your throat and make an ass out of yourself in front of all the people you care about.
Old 10-21-2015, 08:22 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Here's a big thing that took me a long time and a move to Minnesota to figure out. You absolutely do not have to be inside all day in the winter.

I don't live in Minnesota anymore but geez, people went outside on the coldest of days. Ice skating, ice fishing, broomball, hockey, cross country skiing, snow shoeing, hiking, golf, walking. Going to coffee shops, going to museums, taking classes. As alcoholics I think we've trained ourselves to always see the worst, oh woe is me. There's so much out there that's fun and doesn't involve alcohol. Hang in there.
Old 10-21-2015, 09:07 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Thank you to everyone for your support. I didn't drink but I enjoyed crying about it. I think this was better.
Old 10-22-2015, 08:57 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Because they're not really having fun! They think they are but they're only there to get intoxicated. They're just fooling themselves if they think those people are their friends and that they're forming meaningful relationships. A bunch of fake people who exchange numbers and say they wanna hang out then never answer the phone on the smallest chance that one of them tries to reach out and call
Old 10-22-2015, 10:09 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Because you will be better for not being involved!