Notices

15 Days and Craving

Old 10-21-2015, 03:41 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

15 Days and Craving

I'm on day 15 and as each day passes I become more and more aware of WHY I used to pull the cork on the wine bottle each day and pour until empty. Clearly, drinking was only a symptom of a bigger problem that I now have to face head one and stark sober. Today is the first day I can say I'm craving that poison. No, I won't drink but I sure do miss that feeling of escape right now. I hopped on here to post in hopes that this too will pass.

Does anyone else ever get that voice that says... "well if you have a drink no one will ever know"? It's craziness because I don't want to go there but on a stressful day like this I am actually hearing myself considering drinking in secret and I DON'T want my addiction to take me there.
Old 10-21-2015, 03:46 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
JD
You're not shackled to not drinking, you're free from drinking

I think many of us have. I just ask myself if having a drink is going to make my life better. No matter how stressful the day is, drinking is not going to make it better.
Old 10-21-2015, 03:51 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Resolutely Staying Sober ODAAT

Go take a walk, or ride your bike, this too will pass and you will be all the better for being stronger than your AV.
Old 10-21-2015, 03:57 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
dcg
D♭7♭9♯9♯11♭13

There is no such thing as drinking in secret; one person will know. Do you care what that person thinks?
Old 10-21-2015, 04:04 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DaisyBee View Post
I'm on day 15 and as each day passes I become more and more aware of WHY I used to pull the cork on the wine bottle each day and pour until empty. Clearly, drinking was only a symptom of a bigger problem that I now have to face head one and stark sober. Today is the first day I can say I'm craving that poison. No, I won't drink but I sure do miss that feeling of escape right now. I hopped on here to post in hopes that this too will pass.

Does anyone else ever get that voice that says... "well if you have a drink no one will ever know"? It's craziness because I don't want to go there but on a stressful day like this I am actually hearing myself considering drinking in secret and I DON'T want my addiction to take me there.
To add to the obvious fact that drinking isn't going to help your stress, it'll just make it worst (even snowball it into something even bigger).... I just wanted to say that it's really great that you're aware of how you're feeling - as in, you're hearing that insidious side of you talking, and your aknowledging its presence but you're choosing to do something constructive about it - coming here to post. I hope that feels quite empowering.
Keep focused on all the bad things alcohol has made you do, and all the bad situations it's put you in.
As you're already currently doing, I think distraction is best.. Everytime that thought comes into your head, be like Security Guard for your brain and pick it up by the scruff of its vile neck and boot it out of your mind!
Old 10-21-2015, 04:08 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I remember a while back I really wanted a drink bad. Then I realized I would have to tell people here that I decided to drink. I couldn't do that - so it kept me from having that drink.
In time these feelings will be a thing of the past. Well worth the wait.
Old 10-21-2015, 04:13 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by dcg View Post
There is no such thing as drinking in secret; one person will know. Do you care what that person thinks?
Yes, I DO care what I would think. So I'm going to go and make myself a cranberry soda and take walk.
Old 10-21-2015, 04:29 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Cravings are just feelings and don't have to become actions. They will pass.
Old 10-21-2015, 06:13 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I like cranberry soda too! It really does help.
Old 10-21-2015, 06:16 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

Good for you Daisy - some good ideas here too:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-cravings.html

D
Old 10-21-2015, 06:28 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Cranberry soda and m&m's worked like a charm. I'm so grateful to have the support of everyone on these forums!
Old 10-21-2015, 06:35 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

I love cranberry juice and soda, too!

The important thing is that you're aware of your AV talking to you. Ignore it and get through it and it will get easier each time.
Old 10-21-2015, 06:48 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Mmmmmmmm Cran and soda. Yum yum yum. Hang in there it will pass. When I had bad cravings I made it a habit to do something I wouldn't have done if I'd been drinking (Pretty much anything). Cleaning something always feels good.
Old 10-22-2015, 06:43 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Good going on posting BEFORE you uncorked the bottle. The folks here can be pretty persuasive. They've saved my a$$ a couple times. As you said, this too shall pass. Be strong, you don't need that crap (alcohol) anyway.
Old 10-22-2015, 08:14 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

When I craved I ate all the time. Still lost weight. I loved granola, Gatorades, cheeses, lunch meat, and sweets. The sweets tricked the brain.

I slept all the time. My body was healing. Lots of water.
Old 10-22-2015, 09:28 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Thank you for the strong support! A trip to SAMs club today was hard also. There is so much wine there. But I bought myself a new coffee maker instead

Day 16 done!
Old 10-22-2015, 09:32 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Good work, DaisyBee and enjoy your new coffee maker!