SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   inpatient or on my own? (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/377721-inpatient-my-own.html)

dasautobatgirl 10-19-2015 10:40 PM

inpatient or on my own?

Hi, it's been awhile since I have posted; visited. So much has happened. But, for now I wanted to ask advice about options for vicodin detox. I am an alcoholic, in recovery, but have been on medically prescribed vicodin for almost 2 years for a herniated disc. While taking vicodin for the pain, along with icing my back daily, I went through a series of lumbar epidural injections (4 total over ~2 years), physical therapy, and other measures of treatment. Finally, I decided to look into surgery, a microdisectomy of the herniated disc. Today I had an appointment with a neuro surgeon for a second opinion, only to be told surgery isn't a viable option for my specific disc injury; unnecessary. In fact, instead I was very patiently and with scientific explanation that the vicodin I've been taking for ~2 years is more likely the culprit of the majority of my pain, set-back, quality of life, etc.
I started on 5/325 mg , then increased to 10/325 mg about 6 months ago. I have increased my use of vicodin to ~5 doses daily. Now, this isn't a "heavy" addiction in the, if you will, opiate addiction spectrum. However, it's enough that I will need to wean/taper off in order to stop taking the vicodin, which I do want to do. I have faith that this neuro surgeon could very well have the ultimate answer to my pain and health issues.
There is a behavioral unit/detox nearby that I have been to twice in the past for alcohol withdrawal and have found the place to be very effective and comfortable.
On the flip side, I will, if even for a short of stay, be away from my husband and children, the internet (gasp!) and comforts of home for a physical addiction that can very well be treated outpatient.
I've gone on with my questions and debacle long enough for a simple post.
For those of you who may remember me from the recent past, I want to add that my, anyone's worst nightmare, came to fruition last Septemeber 10, 2014. My oldest daughter, who had previously suffered a vehicle related injury at age 12, was killed in a car accident. She was driving. Not drinking, she didn't drink. She was going to the mall with a friend after school.
I could go on and on, but I will stop here and hope for some advice and feedback about the vicodin issue.
thank you

Saskia 10-19-2015 10:44 PM

Sorry to hear about your pain and med issues. Did the neurosurgeon recommend inpatient? My take on it would be to follow the dr's suggestions.

Meraviglioso 10-19-2015 10:49 PM

I don't know, but I would imagine that if you are not suffering from addiction to the meds, just need to taper off of them, that your inpatient stay would not be very long. It might be something to consider just to be sure you are supervised and give you a chance to rest while you go through it. Best of luck.
My sincere condolences about your daughter. That truly is anyone's worst nightmare. Congratulations on your recovery and for staying true to that through your suffering.

MythOfSisyphus 10-20-2015 12:09 AM

I'm so sorry about your daughter. You've had to deal with so much. I'm not sure about inpatient vs outpatient, hard to say. I guess balance your needs and the advice of the docs. Hang in there!:grouphug:

Soberwolf 10-20-2015 01:13 AM

I have no experience with vicodin but it sounds as you have well thought this out do you think you can taper down on your own ?

Sorry for the loss of your daughter :hug:

dasautobatgirl 10-20-2015 07:11 AM

thank you for the responses.
Since the "vicodin diagnosis" which was just yesterday, I haven't yet spoken with the neurosurgeon about his actual plan, as truthfully, I left his office in tears that I was not going to get the surgery I had sought after. He does very much want to work with me on a plan to ultimately treat the herniated disc. I will see what his course of action would be.
I guess, impatient as always, I thought an inpatient setting could do a faster taper than at home. But that is most likely via more medication to ease the vicodin withdrawel; unlikely the doctor would prescribe such in an outpatient setting. I should be patient and taper as instructed.
Will hopefully find out today.

Saskia 10-20-2015 07:24 AM

I certainly understand being impatient! It sounds like a good plan to work with your neurosurgeon. A high percentage of herniated discs do get better with time though I understand that's not always easy. Best wishes for your recovery.

PurpleKnight 10-20-2015 09:13 AM

Welcome back!!

I'm so sorry to hear about your daughter!! :hug: