SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Almost thirty-six hours sober... (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/377710-almost-thirty-six-hours-sober.html)

Anustart 10-19-2015 04:42 PM

Almost thirty-six hours sober...

After ten years, countless drinks, shattered self-confidence, wasted opportunities, ruined events, too many blackouts, and a reputation tarnished perhaps beyond repair, I'm quitting. For good. I haven't told my wife, my family, or my friends, but they'll see for themselves soon enough. I'm so very tired of disappointing people. Mostly myself.

ast1 10-19-2015 04:44 PM

Welcome to SR! Congratulations on 36 hours! You can do it!

PurpleKnight 10-19-2015 04:47 PM

Welcome to the Forum Anustart!! :wave:

Anna 10-19-2015 04:49 PM

Welcome!

I chose to not tell people around me either, because I had let everyone down many times. They did notice before very long, and I'm sure your family and friends will too. Do you have a plan in place?

Jsbodhi 10-19-2015 04:54 PM

Its always a good choice to get sober xoxo

JD 10-19-2015 05:06 PM

I don't know your relationship with your wife but if it's good and you can have honest and open conversations I'd tell her. She can be another resource to help you on this journey. I know my wife is. In my mind not telling anyone means you're leaving your option open to fail. Who will know but you if you do. Yes, you'll know you failed and be disappointed but with someone else knowing adds one more layer of protection when the av says f it. Us drunks are used to being disappointed. Disappointing someone else can help you think twice.

Wastinglife 10-19-2015 05:34 PM

I waited so long to get help that when I got out of rehab, no one noticed because I had already driven everyone in my life away. Tackle your alcoholism now while you still have people in your life!

least 10-19-2015 05:42 PM

Welcome to the family. :) I'm glad you joined us. You'll find lots of support here. :)

Dee74 10-19-2015 05:51 PM

Welcome to SR :)

KidsEverywhere 10-19-2015 06:52 PM

I have not told my wife or anyone else mostly because I didn't want to alarm her what a big deal it is. She doesn't understand about addiction and she would be horrified to know I hid bottles and drank probably 3x what she ever saw. I'm about to close out day 9. I told her I was just going to "lay off" because I'm tired of it and feel better not drinking. She is real happy that I'm not drinking and has commented to me and others that I haven't been drinking. I just don't want to drag her through a problem that is mine and mine to fix.

Anustart 10-19-2015 09:01 PM

JD, I know that you're right, but Anna and KidsEverywhere's posts already contain all the responses that I would give you. I've gone through a lot of false starts with my wife. It's the worst feeling in the world. Once I get some momentum we will definitely talk about it but for now this is personal to me.

MariahGayle 10-19-2015 09:24 PM

Glad your hear Anu!!!

HCE 10-19-2015 09:29 PM

Congratulations!

Elodie 10-19-2015 10:05 PM

Congratulations AnuSTart! You sound very determined and full of resolve.

Soberwolf 10-20-2015 02:32 AM

Welcome anustart

todayisanewday 10-20-2015 05:09 AM

Welcome! 36 hours in too. So glad to have found this place too