Notices

New to the Site...Stopping Today

Old 10-18-2015, 08:28 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New to the Site...Stopping Today

Hi all - I found your site yesterday, and I've been reading through so many of the forum posts. This seems like a really supportive place, and I could use some support right now.

I've finally decided that I want (need) to stop drinking entirely. I've been trying to cut back without success. My current goal has simply been to just not to drink one day a week, and I've totally failed at that. Each day I would think...I'll do it tomorrow. So this tells me that this drinking thing is deeper than just a habit I need to change. It's got a much stronger hold on me.

So today, I'm done. I poured the wine down the sink this morning and put away the wine bottle opener.

I'm not ready to tell my family. I don't want to admit to my husband that I think I drink too much (although I'm sure he knows). I certainly don't want to tell my kids or my parents. I have one friend at work who also struggles with this, so I texted her this morning, just to have someone I can talk to. But this is why I'm telling you...so I have someone to come to when I need help.

This is very overwhelming...
Old 10-18-2015, 08:30 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

been there!

Welcome.

You've made a good decision.

Old 10-18-2015, 08:33 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome, Dobie. Your story is our story.

You may be a little uncomfortable for a few days, but it will pass and you will find yourself with a whole new, wonderful outlook on life.
Old 10-18-2015, 08:48 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DobieGirl09 View Post
Hi all - I found your site yesterday, and I've been reading through so many of the forum posts. This seems like a really supportive place, and I could use some support right now.

I've finally decided that I want (need) to stop drinking entirely. I've been trying to cut back without success. My current goal has simply been to just not to drink one day a week, and I've totally failed at that. Each day I would think...I'll do it tomorrow. So this tells me that this drinking thing is deeper than just a habit I need to change. It's got a much stronger hold on me.

So today, I'm done. I poured the wine down the sink this morning and put away the wine bottle opener.

I'm not ready to tell my family. I don't want to admit to my husband that I think I drink too much (although I'm sure he knows). I certainly don't want to tell my kids or my parents. I have one friend at work who also struggles with this, so I texted her this morning, just to have someone I can talk to. But this is why I'm telling you...so I have someone to come to when I need help.

This is very overwhelming...
Today is my first day too Dobie!! We can do it!!
Old 10-18-2015, 08:51 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR! This site helped me quit a long drinking career. I've been sober for over 10 months. The early days are hardest, but stay close to SR and read the wealth of information here. It's a great thing. Life will be much more fulfilling without alcohol. I never realized how much it dragged me down in so many ways.
Old 10-18-2015, 09:03 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome Dobie, its only been a week for me but i agree, there is so much information on our disease here on the site and so much support. Though it is not easy, reading about other peoples experiences and posting has helped me immensely.
Old 10-18-2015, 09:06 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome here. It takes a lot of courage to take that first step. We are here for you every step of the way. You can do this.
Old 10-18-2015, 09:07 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR.
Glad you found your way here.
Lots of inspiration and knowledge on this site.
Old 10-18-2015, 09:09 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thanks for the welcome! I'm really hoping to kick this thing once and for all. It's really in the way of meeting so many of the goals in my life right now.
Old 10-18-2015, 09:13 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

It is harder at first, but you can do this. Thanks for coming here.
Old 10-18-2015, 09:37 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR! You will find tons of support and advice here any time of day. Between this site and using AVRT, I was able to get through the hardest part of early recovery. You can do this! There are lots of resources out there and I'm sure the wonderful people here will share as many as possible with you. For me, I read a book called Rational Recovery and it was an eye opener for me. Use all the tools available to you and you will succeed! Lots of great success stories here. I often re-read them as inspiration.
Old 10-18-2015, 09:49 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Welcome aboard Dobie,
You have come to the right place for support. Can you tell us how much you were consuming? Sometimes quitting "cold turkey" can be hard on the body. If you have trouble coming off alcohol, I would suggest making an appt. with your Dr. Your Dr. can prescribe some Meds. to help with withdrawal. After you get over the physical part, you can then start your emotional recovery. Best Wishes!
Old 10-18-2015, 09:50 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum DobieGirl!!
Old 10-18-2015, 10:05 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome
Old 10-18-2015, 10:22 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR Dobie. This site has been a tremendous aid in my 3 months sober. It's here 24 hours a day.
Old 10-18-2015, 10:30 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Welcome Dobie!

Lots of older, wiser, sober longer people here to offer advice and share their strength and experience.

Keep coming back,

Jim
Old 10-18-2015, 11:26 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Hi & Welcome Dobie
Old 10-18-2015, 11:28 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

You go girl..... Hang in there........
Old 10-18-2015, 11:37 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family. I hope the support here can help you get sober for good.
Old 10-18-2015, 12:27 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
SD 7/3/15 SRJD 7/14/15

Welcome and best of luck in your recovery.