Notices

First Sunday morning.

Old 10-18-2015, 07:03 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

First Sunday morning.

Y'all are probably getting tired of me talking about how good it is to wake up in the morning feeling so much better. But it is such a great reminder and helps me to "talk" about it.
This is my first Sunday morning feeling good. One week under my belt. Day 8. I came home from the ball game late last night. Now I'm waking up a little tired, but otherwise good. In my previous life, I would have come home drunk at 2am. 9am would be horrible. I would be brushing my teeth trying to keep from gagging, wondering if I can get some food in me and a little water. And whether I discreetly barf in the shower without anyone noticing. Today. I'm eating a good breakfast, feel good, the wife is happy, headed to church without the guilt of sitting there hungover. Life is good.
I hope this can serve as some hope for folks who are struggling to decide if sobrity is worth it- it is so nice. I do have some cravings- at the ball game yesterday was a good test, but leaving drunkeness behind is like having a cancer removed.
Old 10-18-2015, 07:06 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I can relate!! I was in bad shape last Sunday. Day 8 - we are doing this!

The feeling of waking up without a hangover, on Sunday or any day, is not going to get old for me.
Old 10-18-2015, 07:19 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Great job Juno! How bad are the cravings, etc.?
Old 10-18-2015, 07:23 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I haven't had any yet. For me that's really unusual. I usually start having bad cravings after 5 days or so. Not sure what's going on with me this time - maybe just psychologically I am just ready to quit? I don't know. But I'll be ready for the cravings when/if they do come. How about you?
Old 10-18-2015, 07:25 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Kids. For me That was one of many positive perks to not drinking. Good job on day 8. It's not always going to be easy for a while, but it will be worth it...
TC
Old 10-18-2015, 07:26 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Juno11 View Post
I can relate!! I was in bad shape last Sunday. Day 8 - we are doing this!

The feeling of waking up without a hangover, on Sunday or any day, is not going to get old for me.
Yeah this time last Sunday.....I was in the middle of a binge.....little did I know what was in store for me.....that's the thing about drinking......full of nasty surprises....

looking forward to laying down this sober driveway
Old 10-18-2015, 07:30 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Sounds like we are in similar spots. When I decided to "lay off" or cut back, as the books says- half measures avail nothing. This time is real and my resolve is strong. Doesn't mean the driving home from work and not stopping at the liquor store isn't something I have to put some effort towards and going to that football game yesterday was a good test- but also a lot of fun. The more good experiences with things I did drunk that I do sober now and the more days I get under my belt, the more I feel like I'm piling up more equity in the "stay sober and keep it going" side of the scale as we all know the: "to hell with it, you can have 'a beer'" side of the scale is always a hard one to tip.
Old 10-18-2015, 07:36 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by KidsEverywhere View Post
Y'all are probably getting tired of me talking about how good it is to wake up in the morning feeling so much better. But it is such a great reminder and helps me to "talk" about it.
I don't think I'll ever get tired of being reminded of how good it is to wake up feeling good.... or at least on the mornings when I don't feel so good, being reminded of how much BETTER it is than the loathsome, shameful feelings of despair, the pain and misery, the terrible physical wreck of another terrible binge-hangover's sunrise.

Thank you
Old 10-18-2015, 07:37 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
JD
You're not shackled to not drinking, you're free from drinking

That's great kids! Keep up the good work.
Old 10-18-2015, 08:19 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I never get tired of hearing people talk about how good they feel because they have made positive changes in their life. I talk about it with my wife all the time. Good job.
Old 10-18-2015, 09:47 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Keep pushing through, hangover free Sundays are amazing!!
Old 10-18-2015, 09:54 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Keep sharing; it's an inspiration to read and it's helping support us in our own sobriety. Hangover free mornings are a highlight of sobriety. Congrats on 8 days.
Old 10-18-2015, 10:02 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Not tired of your posts at all Kidseverywhere. You are helping other alcoholics. It's amazing how newcomers to recovery are just as valuable to other alcoholics as old timers with 30 plus years.

I have a few years under my belt and I still marvel over the sobriety gift of waking up after an alcohol free night. It's my favorite thing about this journey.
Old 10-18-2015, 10:13 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I totally agree, day 41 here and sleep and waking up feeling pleasant not revolting is so amazing!!!

I actually think about sleep sometimes during the day, but not out of exhaustion but just a quick "looking forward to it" feeling! Is that weird?!?