Notices

Bedtime anxiety

Old 10-17-2015, 07:36 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Choosing Life

Bedtime anxiety

Put Day 4 in the bag yesterday, and things have been going well. Most of the initial withdrawals have subsided, other than the insomnia, which has been brutal. It's been improving a little every day, but one thing has been happening that's kind of strange to me.

I fall into bed pretty tired from lack of sleep. I also take melatonin and drink at least a cup or two of Sleepytime tea before I head to bed, so I'm fairly relaxed when my head hits the pillow. But then, just as I feel myself start to nod off, it's like I'm hit with this wave of anxiety, almost panic. My heart starts to pound, I start sweating, and I feel like I'm going to come out of my skin. This has never happened to me before.

I'm thinking that my sleep patterns are just screwed up and that my body is just trying to get used to falling asleep without the aid of alcohol and will eventually adapt without it. Does that make sense? Has this happened to any of you?

Looking forward to your comments and wishing you all a happy, sober Saturday.
Old 10-17-2015, 07:56 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Congrats on day 4! My sleep was all over the place for a week or two when I quit, your body and mind definitley need time to adjust. My anxiety was sky high initially too, perhaps you can try some relaxation techniques or calming music in the evenings?
Old 10-17-2015, 08:09 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
JD
You're not shackled to not drinking, you're free from drinking

Insomnia and anxiety were common for me too the first couple of weeks. You expect to feel good since you haven't had alcohol but you feel like crap every morning due to lack of sleep. Hang in there, it does go away and soon you'll be sleeping like you haven't in a long time.
Old 10-17-2015, 08:22 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

I had something similar with the sweats and all, but also racing thoughts. They never let up. I would go to bed after a pretty good day, no new problems, put my head on the pillow, close my eyes, and this merry go round would start up. Skeletons coming out of the closet and dancing on my stomach. People I had hurt, secrets, fear, anxiety, people I had to avoid, creditors etc, paid me a nightly visit and ensured I didn't get much sleep.

6 weeks in AA, I had started the steps, and one sunday afternoon I took my fifth step with my sponsor. Slept like a baby that Sunday night. Experienced all the fifth step promises. I very rarely have any trouble sleeping today.
Old 10-17-2015, 11:08 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Do your best

Way to go on day 4 I felt the exact same way when I was on day 4 I found reading really helped tired my eyes

There are great guided meditation & sleep talkdown videos on YouTube
Old 10-17-2015, 11:32 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I still have that at 3 months. I get relaxed and my unconscious kicks in with things that cause me anxiety. I repeat something positive over and over to go to sleep. In the morning , if I remember what was bugging me I write it down or talk about it with someone. Great 4 days!
Old 10-17-2015, 12:27 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

The waves of anxiety would hit me as soon as I began to relax in bed, too. I think the harder that I tried to keep calm, the worse it got. I found that meditating helped but it does take a little time and patience.
Old 10-17-2015, 01:28 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

As you can see by the responses already, its pretty common. I dealt with it as well. I was fortunate as after day 3, a little melatonin and maybe 1 benedryl and I'd sleep like a baby. But at first, it seems just like when you are about to fall asleep BAM! It should subside, if not, I would see a doc. With that said, I would do whatever possible to avoid getting addicted to any type of prescription sleep aid. I went through that too, its horrible.
Old 10-18-2015, 12:11 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Very common! I second the suggestion to try melatonin.
Old 10-18-2015, 09:37 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Day 4 is fantastic!! Keep it going!!
Old 10-18-2015, 09:42 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Well done on day 4! You are still very early into the recovery process so it's not unusual at all to be feeling anxiety before bed. I had that for about a week and then I would have weird dreams on and off (still do at times) that caused me to wake up feeling off. Keep at it and if it doesn't get better in a few weeks, talk to your doctor if you haven't already. When I quit the second time, I talked to my doctor right away and I really should have done that the first time. Keep up the good work!
Old 10-18-2015, 11:08 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Choosing Life

Thanks everyone. Day 6 today and still not a whole lot better, but gradually improving. Took some melatonin last night with some chamomile tea, then read until I couldn't keep my eyes open anymore. Still had a hard time falling asleep and staying asleep, and had a couple of anxiety moments (felt like restless legs syndrome all over my body), but at least I did get a little rest.

Last time I got sober I was also in outpatient treatment and had access to medical personnel to help with stuff like this. I took Trazodone for a few months and it seemed to help. I don't want to have to do that again, but if this doesn't subside in another couple of weeks, I'll see the doc. I'm also getting ready for a big move out of state in a couple of weeks, so I'm sure the stress over that is contributing.

Thank you for all the helpful suggestions!
Old 10-18-2015, 03:53 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Hi DS. I'm glad things are a little better on Day 6. Those first weeks are rough. I hope you'll get a better rest tonight. Very happy you're here.