Notices

Sober: The New Normal

Old 10-16-2015, 07:06 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Sober: The New Normal

It feels really strange to be sober all the time. I just realized today that I have no stimulants in my life and no way to get a buzz. Not that I want one but my mind was so used to the ups and downs that this new normal seems pretty boring. I'm not complaining I'm just curious if that feeling changes over time or if acceptance just settles in eventually.

"Normal" people probably don't need to feel that roller coaster of ups and downs. I wonder why I needed that so much.

Day 10.
Old 10-16-2015, 07:50 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Good for you DaisyBee!

D
Old 10-16-2015, 08:10 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I really like mindfull meditation. Its helps calm me down. Its a new feelimg rather the the stagnant blah..always exercise is good. 10 days is early and you are still adjusting. Congratulations!
Old 10-16-2015, 08:37 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I felt that (sobriety boredom)more in the first 6 months. Now life has enough ups and downs to keep me occupied. I still get bored once in awhile, but distinctly remember times in the using days when I was bored-got high-then was bored and high. Near the end there was hardly any chemical state that worked other than passed out.

In addition to all that noise, I now actually want to engage in my hobbies and have an attention span for them.
Old 10-17-2015, 07:00 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Do your best

Congrats on double digits DaisyBee
Old 10-17-2015, 07:03 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

That part was difficult for me, too. I've recently cut out caffeine, and it's a struggle, just like letting go of any chemical altering substance.

It passes - and I get what you mean about the highs and lows. Slow and steady - they say it wins the race. It's definitely less stressful
Old 10-17-2015, 07:06 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Congrats on 10 days Daisy. I wonder that too, whether one of the reasons for addiction or having an addictive personality is not being able to handle boredom. We're always chasing highs of one form or another. I really like the idea of mindful meditation but have tried several times and just can't quiet my mind. Exercise of a kind where I have to fully concentrate on it is good for me, like Zumba or dance, because it gives my mind a break.
Old 10-17-2015, 07:07 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I understand what you're saying. It is a bit weird. From what I hear it gets better and better with time. I remember in the first few months I could think of nothing else and was so bored. Now I'm not so much as bored as I am sometimes just wanted to "join in the fun" and get tipsy or drunk. So yes I would say is passes and changes.
Old 10-18-2015, 09:28 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Day 10 is fantastic DaisyBee!! Keep pushing through!!
Old 10-18-2015, 11:18 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

i know what you mean, the drinking keeps us in a constant state of chaos physically and mentally. I've come to embrace the stability that being sober brings. This morning I went with my wife to run some errands. When I was drinking, Sunday was spent nursing myself back to health to get ready for Monday. I didn't leave the house for nothing. This morning, I kind of enjoyed it.