Notices

A week under the belt - but stag do tomorrow?!

Old 10-17-2015, 02:29 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

GM, be strong give him a few quid to get a drink. The tell don't tell,only you know all my drinking mates were easy with it , as they probably wanted to join ,except one a good friend who couldn't accept I had a problem and desperately wanted life to carry on. We had good chats over quick drinks never big , and he couldn't convert to tea!
Good luck and I can assure you your life will start to fill with good events soon enough and cancellations will slow down.
John.
Old 10-17-2015, 03:27 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by suki44883 View Post
My response might not sit well with you, but I would tell my good friend what's going on and that as much as I would love to be there, my sobriety is more important. If he is truly a good friend, he will understand. JMHO.
This would be my approach too. I assume you'll be at the wedding? In the long run, that and maybe a personal outing with your friend at some time would be far safer and more meaningful in the long run. Stag do's are a ridiculous, stupid tradition anyway.

No way would I put myself in that position with 30 drunk friends in a bar.
Old 10-17-2015, 03:42 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I used to work as a bartender at an events venue that hosted stag dos. I've not wanted to go on one since, even while still drinking. It's a bunch of people feeling they have to do something even more out of control than usual. I've seen the stag get in a physical punch up with his prospective father in law, leading to a full scale brawl, while everyone nearly paralytic, with strippers (hookers) and gambling that probably none of them would ever have dreamed of doing normally. What a great way to get to know your new in-laws. Not.

Great decision not to go. The wedding itself should be easier. Take advantage of your car as an honest, genuine excuse for people you don't feel like getting in a sobriety discussion with. But I was thinking that wouldn't work with a stag do as someone will just book a cab for you and tell you to collect the car the next day. And I'd give you about an hour before your AV says "ah, F*** it, I'll just stop next week instead" and the drinks will flow. And then you'll say the same at the wedding, because you might as well wait till that's over. And then the same for the big local derby the following week that everyone's going to watch. And then your other friend's birthday, since that's just another week or two away. And then you'll be celebrating that it's Friday night. And then the weekend really starts on Thursday, and, well, you know the rest.
Old 10-17-2015, 02:23 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Administrator

Good decision I think Gerd

D
Old 10-17-2015, 02:43 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

I had this happen, and I told my good friend a lie, told him my car was broken down ( I was 200 miles away )

He was disappointed, but he's still a very good friend, and I'm still sober. He had a good stag do without me, and I was still welcome at the wedding
Old 10-17-2015, 02:54 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

I had a similar dilemma last weekend and chose to not go. Slightly different situation as I may not have the chance to see my pal again for years.

There was no way I could guarantee I wouldn't drink - even after getting 18 weeks sobriety under my belt - so therefore I had to bail.

I have 19 weeks now. If I had cracked and gone on a bender....

Great call and don't change your mind . You will look back on this, and the sober wedding with pride
Old 10-18-2015, 01:16 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Sober since 1st January 2016

I didn't go the stag do in the end. He was really disappointed, but took it well to be fair. I didn't have to tell him about my sobrietary either, in a strange twist of fate...

My daughter's been poorly and when I got back home we had to rush her into A&E for the night as she had a temperature. Cut a long story she's on the mend and we went home about midnight.

It's fate that I reckon. If I'd have capitulated and drank (and I can knock some back in an hour I can tell you), then got summoned home because my daughter was ill, the guilt and shame would have been off the scale. As it was when I finally got to bed, I was very pleased and satisfied that I made the conscious decision to not drink, and for once my AV was almost contrite.

Thanks for the support. You were 100% right
Old 10-18-2015, 02:19 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by GerdMuller View Post
I didn't go the stag do in the end. He was really disappointed, but took it well to be fair. I didn't have to tell him about my sobrietary either, in a strange twist of fate...

My daughter's been poorly and when I got back home we had to rush her into A&E for the night as she had a temperature. Cut a long story she's on the mend and we went home about midnight.

It's fate that I reckon. If I'd have capitulated and drank (and I can knock some back in an hour I can tell you), then got summoned home because my daughter was ill, the guilt and shame would have been off the scale. As it was when I finally got to bed, I was very pleased and satisfied that I made the conscious decision to not drink, and for once my AV was almost contrite.

Thanks for the support. You were 100% right
Well done mate! Sorry about your daughter, I hope she's better now.
Old 10-18-2015, 02:26 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  
Administrator

yeah I hope your daughter is ok too

D
Old 10-18-2015, 02:28 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Great advice and result.

Your sober muscles and your friendship will both be stronger for it.

Congrats for making the right choice.
Old 10-18-2015, 05:28 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

How great that you were able to be there - sober and emotionally available - for your family. Must have been very worrying though - hope she's feeling much, much better today
Old 10-18-2015, 08:25 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Sorry about your daughter but I'd say that is a pretty big sign from someone saying "look how reliable you can be when sober" and like you say to compare it to the alternative is just horrible, well done : )))
Old 10-18-2015, 06:43 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Nice job Gerd. You can pay your respects at the ceremony, that's supposedly the important part anyway. All the other stuff is just fluff. I have a new rule, I do wedding, I don't do receptions.
Old 10-19-2015, 01:07 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

In the end great to hear you got through this GerdMuller!!

Hope your daughter gets well soon!!