SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Pointed question about detox (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/377528-pointed-question-about-detox.html)

KidsEverywhere 10-16-2015 03:42 PM

Pointed question about detox

I've read a lot about detox and how horrible it is for folks who have typically been really heavy in the bottle.
I hear that it can literally kill you. But of all the horror stories I've read about how awful it is and how dangerous it is, I haven't read any stories or examples of someone who actually died of it. I know this might come across wrong, but how does it actually kill you and is dying of withdrawals really something that happens?

suki44883 10-16-2015 03:48 PM

Yes, it happens. Detox can cause blood pressure to skyrocket and that can bring on seizures, stroke or heart attack. Our own Dee suffered a series of mini strokes, but thankfully, he survived.

It is believed that Amy Winehouse died from alcohol withdrawal.

http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/0...ol-withdrawal/

KidsEverywhere 10-16-2015 03:50 PM

Gotcha. It causes crazy BP fluctuations etc. among other things. that'll kill you for sure.

suki44883 10-16-2015 03:54 PM

I went to a medical detox facility and they would take our vitals four times a day. That says something about how closely we should be monitored, especially if we have been drinking heavily for many years.

thomas11 10-16-2015 03:55 PM

I asked the same question when I was new to this site. The reality is that yes, it is true, and it does happen. My sister in law is a nurse and she has some pretty crazy stories about patients who are in for alcohol withdrawal. I, personally, was very naive about it, and until I experienced moderate withdrawal first hand, I had no idea it could be deadly.

Austin4Wyo 10-16-2015 05:38 PM

I would also speculate that few people will come out and say "alcohol withdrawal" as the cause of death on any official document. While the actual medical event can well be a complication of alcohol induced symptoms, the acute event is what will be recorded.

sugarbear1 10-16-2015 05:45 PM

Alcohol was once used as anesthesia for surgery.....

Drinking regularly makes the body expect and even demand it's presence, when we stop it abruptly, we put the body in shock.

Medically supervised detoxing is important and meds are given so the body doesn't go into shock (high blood pressure, seizures, as mentioned).

Be safe. Talk with a doctor and ask questions. Bring a pad and pen with the questions and write the answers, call the doctor back if things aren't clear.

Dee74 10-16-2015 05:57 PM

Why would we lie?
Yes it's real and it happens.

two cases I plucked from Google news today

Autopsy: Shawnee County Jail inmate's likely cause of death was alcohol withdrawal | CJOnline.com

A life on the street, a death in jail and a devoted family left behind | Alaska Dispatch News

I could give you several personal examples as well.

D

Csharp 10-16-2015 06:23 PM

Kids,

I hate to be so blunt but we cannot tell our story when we are dead. Someone in here said it best a few weeks ago in a post about their ex husband dying on the bathroom floor.
I apologize I cannot give credit to who it was because I cannot remember their name or the post but the worst stories are never told because the people never made it out alive to tell them.

Scott

KidsEverywhere 10-16-2015 06:48 PM

Originally Posted by Csharp (Post 5602982)
Kids,

I hate to be so blunt but we cannot tell our story when we are dead. Someone in here said it best a few weeks ago in a post about their ex husband dying on the bathroom floor.
I apologize I cannot give credit to who it was because I cannot remember their name or the post but the worst stories are never told because the people never made it out alive to tell them.

Scott

That makes a lot of sense. It was just a curious question about it.

Impurrfect 10-16-2015 06:51 PM

When I was in nursing school, my first day at a rehab/mental health facility, we saw the hearse coming to pick up the body of a man who died from alcohol withdrawal.

He had waited too late to seek help. Within 2 hours of arrival, his blood pressure elevated, he had a massive stroke and died.

Alcohol withdrawal is a serious issue, and I will always recommend medical supervision.

Hugs and prayers,

Amy

tomsteve 10-17-2015 02:02 AM

Originally Posted by KidsEverywhere (Post 5602769)
I haven't read any stories or examples of someone who actually died of it.

ive read quite a few on here alone in the f&f forum.
you could visit a detox center and hear of it.
or a rehab.
or alanon.
or an aa meeting.

tomsteve 10-17-2015 02:05 AM

can happen with prescription drugs,too
FBI looking into Macomb County Jail inmate's death

kamm 10-17-2015 05:18 AM

Watch drugged, high on alcohol, Ryans story. You can just youtube "ryan alcoholic" and it'll show up as the first hit. It is believed that he died from alcohol withdrawal.

If you're on the fence about seeking medical help, please do.

♡Kamm

Soberwolf 10-17-2015 06:03 AM

Originally Posted by Dee74 (Post 5602944)
Why would we lie?
Yes it's real and it happens.

two cases I plucked from Google news today

Autopsy: Shawnee County Jail inmate's likely cause of death was alcohol withdrawal | CJOnline.com

A life on the street, a death in jail and a devoted family left behind | Alaska Dispatch News

I could give you several personal examples as well.

D

This