Notices

How do you feel?

Old 10-16-2015, 02:30 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

How do you feel?

When people make jokes about alcoholism?! You know like on social media people posting memes about alcohol and alcoholism? Tbh I did the same when I was drinking, making the same kind of jokes. But now they kinda hit you in the face and aren't quite so funny anymore! I don't say anything but it does get to me a lil bit.
Old 10-16-2015, 02:45 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

It doesn't necessarily offend me, but rather, I feel really bad for the person who shared the meme. Can they relate somehow? Are they crying out for help?

Idk, it kind of just bums me out.
Old 10-16-2015, 02:53 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by newhope01 View Post
It doesn't necessarily offend me, but rather, I feel really bad for the person who shared the meme. Can they relate somehow? Are they crying out for help?

Idk, it kind of just bums me out.
Do you know thats what Ive thought too! No im not offended by it just kinda hits a nerve if you know what I mean, that I used to laugh at myself etc etc, its scary when you get sober just how much alcohol is out there, its everywhere! I could count at least six posts in the the last 10 mins on fb this evening all joking about alcohol, its amazing how your preception changes, to the non alcoholic this kinda thing prob isnt even noticable!!
Old 10-16-2015, 03:09 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I'm okay with the memes and jokes that are not intentionally mean. It's when someone will say they are divorced and then say it was because their ex was an alcoholic. As though saying that alone is enough for anyone to understand that of course they would dump their ex. What happened to in sickness and in health? No one as child says "when I grow up, I want to be an alcoholic." It really isn't a choice. I get it if the alcoholic keeps making false promises to get help and doesn't, but I get the impression that some just split the moment they see the abnormal drinking. Thank God, my husband wasn't like that is all I can think.
Old 10-16-2015, 03:19 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Do your best

I remember watching a lot of Richard Pryor & when he used to joke it would be about his alcoholism but it was real I related heavily with Richard Pryor plus he tells it like it is & makes you think & laugh at the same time I reccomend his autobiography to anyone who has struggled with alcoholism or substance abuse

That being said

Everyone has an opinion I've learnt/still learning I don't have to engage or react to things I don't like or do like, I try to be mindful of myself & the content of the stuff I'm engaging/talking about

For instance I quit Facebook as it offered nothing but ppl poking, liking & sending various requests for things

I don't even use whatsapp because its owned by facebook
Old 10-16-2015, 03:25 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Those jokes and memes make me pretty sad because as I've experienced, alcoholism is a very sad thing. Not really funny at all when you've lost jobs and family or have legal problems because of alcohol...

Delfin
Old 10-16-2015, 03:28 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I ended up getting rid of Facebook too. Just a big old time suck. Nothing there I really wanted to keep up with. I had gotten over the novelty of connecting with old high school friends (none of whom I had any desire to see again anyway), and all the nosy members of my family, and then all the weirdos and people selling things. It seemed like such a waste time to me.

As far as seeing random memes out there, I guess the only I come across might be on Twitter. But I mostly follow news, and various accounts that don't typically posts memes anyway. But when I do run across something like this, I don't think much about it all. I know that alcoholics are in the minority in society, so what we go through with alcohol is just not typical. I fully expect the rest of the world to post their various opinions and thoughts on alcohol and drinking, and I just don't even try to relate to it. Because it doesn't apply to me.

I guess I do see red flags sometimes when someone mentions drinking in a way that triggers me. If it triggers me, then it's probably someone who's a problem drinker or even alcoholic. I paid attention to a cousin who posted a lot about drinking, pics of herself at bars, etc. It did worry me that she might be going in that direction.

I guess I try to tune out any media or advertisements. I know they're there, and I just accept that I no longer am a drinker. I'm a non-drinker. Those days are past me now. I try to embrace this new way of life.