Inspirational sober/teetotal people

Old 10-16-2015, 04:00 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Alice Cooper

Craig Ferguson
Old 10-16-2015, 07:40 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

AlHowSoonIsNow,

Given your user name, you've gotta have Johnny Marr on your list. It's incredible what he's done since leaving The Smiths at 24, played with The The, The Cribs, Electronic, Modest Mouse, 3 recent solo albums, and he's writing Hollywood film soundtracks as well. As a beginner guitarist myself he really is a massive inspiration. And I liked what I read about why he quit around 2000 or so.

"When a Daily Mail reporter asked if he quit because of a drinking problem, Marr responded “Nah I was just bored of it. It wasn’t really getting me anywhere. And I’m somebody who really likes to do different things. I see (not drinking) as a positive – it seems much more radical a lifestyle than being a regular rock ’n’ roller. That seems very boring to me. Somewhat of a cliché.”"

Basically, he stopped because he wanted to, not because he had to. Too many people wait to hit rock bottom before making such a positive change.
Old 10-16-2015, 09:18 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Wonderful Thread!!! Perfect for the weekend.
I'll add a few:
Ringo
Samuel L. Jackson
Gene Simmons
Blake Lively
Bruce Willis
Donald Trump
Eminem
Jennifer Lopez

And here's a video by Joe Walsh:
Old 10-16-2015, 02:21 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

J'en ai marre

Originally Posted by OpenTuning View Post
AlHowSoonIsNow,

Given your user name, you've gotta have Johnny Marr on your list. It's incredible what he's done since leaving The Smiths at 24, played with The The, The Cribs, Electronic, Modest Mouse, 3 recent solo albums, and he's writing Hollywood film soundtracks as well. As a beginner guitarist myself he really is a massive inspiration. And I liked what I read about why he quit around 2000 or so.

"When a Daily Mail reporter asked if he quit because of a drinking problem, Marr responded “Nah I was just bored of it. It wasn’t really getting me anywhere. And I’m somebody who really likes to do different things. I see (not drinking) as a positive – it seems much more radical a lifestyle than being a regular rock ’n’ roller. That seems very boring to me. Somewhat of a cliché.”"

Basically, he stopped because he wanted to, not because he had to. Too many people wait to hit rock bottom before making such a positive change.
Well spotted and nice little write up....I might continue the thread with a weekly write up on a famous/inspirational teetotaler.....one for every week of my own sobriety...keep me going

do you know, he's not on my personal list because 1) I used to be a Smiths fan but only am these days when I'm down...it's more the angst of Morrissey 2) I don't relate with him in any way....I kind of relate with the people on my own personal list or aspire to have something of their personality.....

Johnny Marr fact.......if you say to a French person "Johnny Marr!!!!" they may ask you "why are you fed up?" yes Johnny Marr in French means "I'm fed up!!!!" spelled differently of course

Putain!! J'en ai marre!!!!!!
Old 10-17-2015, 02:13 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by AlHowSoonisNow View Post
Well spotted and nice little write up....I might continue the thread with a weekly write up on a famous/inspirational teetotaler.....one for every week of my own sobriety...keep me going

do you know, he's not on my personal list because 1) I used to be a Smiths fan but only am these days when I'm down...it's more the angst of Morrissey 2) I don't relate with him in any way....I kind of relate with the people on my own personal list or aspire to have something of their personality.....

Johnny Marr fact.......if you say to a French person "Johnny Marr!!!!" they may ask you "why are you fed up?" yes Johnny Marr in French means "I'm fed up!!!!" spelled differently of course

Putain!! J'en ai marre!!!!!!
Funny how we approach The Smiths from opposite directions. I never liked the Smiths at the time because of Morrisey's singing. Then discovered Johnny Marr through his solo work since I took up playing the guitar, and have gone back to listening to them for the amazing riffs he came up with on their songs. I've watched lots of interviews with him and he comes across as a very chilled, decent guy. And a bit of a nerd when it comes to guitar gear, which I certainly identify with

Never spotted the French pun on his name, even though I theoretically speak the language. Nice one.