Notices

Alcohol's effects last longer than I realized

Old 10-15-2015, 05:41 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Alcohol's effects last longer than I realized

For most of my life I thought the effects of alcohol were out of my system in 24 hours. 48 hours at the most. I was stunned to find out a few years ago that the effects of persistent alcohol use last WAY longer than I realized.

For decades I would go through this cycle of drinking for 3 weeks then taking a day or 3 off. I always meant to go longer, but I would feel so darn awful I would always drink again. I thought well, all the alcohol is out of my system and I feel like crap. I'm anxious, I am not sleeping well, and I can't stop thinking about alcohol. I don't want to feel this way forever, so I might as well drink again.

The problem was, the effects of the alcohol were most definitely NOT out of my system. All of the unpleasant symptoms I was having were a DIRECT RESULT of the alcohol I had been drinking.

When I knew I had to give up drinking no matter how I felt I was stunned (and very happy) to discover that my insomnia went away at 8 days. My anxiety abated over a couple of weeks (finding new things to do really helps with that). And on day 84 I was getting into bed and realized I haven't thought about drinking all day today.

Other members here report different timelines, but nearly all report similar results. So... word to the newbies - stick with it. The way you feel on day 93 is very likely to be dramatically different than the way you feel on day 3. Alcohol messes with your body and mind for a lot longer than you realize.

You can do this!
Old 10-15-2015, 05:48 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

This is such a good post Nonsensical

It's so true & I totally agree with everything .

This should help lotsa newbies xxxx
Old 10-15-2015, 05:51 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Yes, day 38 for me and I totally agree.

I would never have imagined I could feel so "normal" already.

It's a welcome surprise, and I love going to bed sober and I love waking up sober. 2 such simple things but I am still relishing them : ))))))
Old 10-15-2015, 05:59 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Absolutely!
Old 10-15-2015, 06:04 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

My experience has been the same. Much improvement over the first week and then gradual improvement for, perhaps, the next year. For me, the first day I went to bed and realized I hadn't thought about alcohol all day was a major milestone. Thanks for this post.
Old 10-15-2015, 06:10 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Amen to this! It took about a week and suddenly I was sleeping normally again. The anxiety got better after a couple of weeks for me. Now, over a month in, I'm approaching the first weekend where I don't feel terrified of having to "make it through without a drink" and instead I'm planning what other things I'm going to do.
Old 10-15-2015, 06:14 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I used to drink myself to blackouts to get some peace. Now, at 102 days, this wonderful calm feeling is starting to feel like the norm. Like you, I never realized alcohol caused a lot of the turmoil, I thought I was drinking to drown it out for a while.
Old 10-15-2015, 06:17 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
dcg
D♭7♭9♯9♯11♭13

It's been about 10 weeks or so now, and my sleeping is still jacked up. I craved and ate nothing but pizza, ice cream and candy for about 8 weeks (that's not an exaggeration either; that's all I ate).

I never had any classic withdrawals because I did a taper, and that may have thwarted cravings because I haven't had any real to speak of, but everything else I was drinking to silence has been magnified 10x since quitting. I kind of expected as much, but when you've buried it for so long, it can be intense.

Last couple of weeks have been running each morning, eating nearly vegan, and things are improving... just takes time, and I dropped about 5 or 6 pounds of the ~30 pounds I put on in the first 2 months of quitting. Soon I'll be back to running 50 miles a week but without drinking a ****ton of vodka each day... should be nice to see the effects of that without the negatives of the booze countering the positives.
Old 10-15-2015, 06:27 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I saw a consultant a few days ago for a particular prescription. My last drink had been about 11.00 PM the previous night and I saw him at 2.30 the following afternoon when as part of my consultation he breathalysed me (to make sure I wasn't telling lies about my pattern of drinking I suspect). Anyway the point is that by then there was no alcohol to be detected in my system by that means.

What does happen though it is increasingly clear to me, that alcohol hijacks certain receptors in the brain concerned with pleasure, satisfaction and contentment and that if you use alcohol for a long period that system takes longer and longer to recover its 'normal' brain chemistry. It does seem to be one reason why relapse is so frequent - the normal brain chemistry which regulates mood is damaged and the default setting is low/depressed etc. and we can feel so crap going back to drinking offers 'relief'.

The longer one drinks the greater the damage it seems. Another reason to quit asap!
Old 10-15-2015, 06:32 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

So true Nonsensical. Once thing that is persistent here however is people posting, weeks into abstinence, that they still feel physically bad. I would just recommend to any newbie who is really serious about recovery to get blood work done and to tell their dr. that they have been drinking heavily so the right markers are tested for. Finding out about vitamin deficiencies and other issues can help speed up the physical and psychological damage done by long term drinking. Why suffer needlessly?
Old 10-15-2015, 08:10 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Nice post Non. Before I truly understood withdrawal and the effects of alcohol, I always got frustrated with how I felt a week or two after not drinking. The anxiety lasted a while, made worse by sporadic drinking. Prolonging the agony. It's much better now. Once I quit completely the anxiety stopped after about a week.
Old 10-15-2015, 09:30 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Do your best

Originally Posted by Nonsensical View Post
For most of my life I thought the effects of alcohol were out of my system in 24 hours. 48 hours at the most. I was stunned to find out a few years ago that the effects of persistent alcohol use last WAY longer than I realized.

For decades I would go through this cycle of drinking for 3 weeks then taking a day or 3 off. I always meant to go longer, but I would feel so darn awful I would always drink again. I thought well, all the alcohol is out of my system and I feel like crap. I'm anxious, I am not sleeping well, and I can't stop thinking about alcohol. I don't want to feel this way forever, so I might as well drink again.

The problem was, the effects of the alcohol were most definitely NOT out of my system. All of the unpleasant symptoms I was having were a DIRECT RESULT of the alcohol I had been drinking.

When I knew I had to give up drinking no matter how I felt I was stunned (and very happy) to discover that my insomnia went away at 8 days. My anxiety abated over a couple of weeks (finding new things to do really helps with that). And on day 84 I was getting into bed and realized I haven't thought about drinking all day today.

Other members here report different timelines, but nearly all report similar results. So... word to the newbies - stick with it. The way you feel on day 93 is very likely to be dramatically different than the way you feel on day 3. Alcohol messes with your body and mind for a lot longer than you realize.

You can do this!
Excellent post
Old 10-15-2015, 09:35 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Great post, Nonsensical. My experiences were similar. Good info there.
Old 10-15-2015, 12:06 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Good post!

Alcohol also messes up your health, career and relationships. Some of those take quite a well to get straightend up.
Old 10-15-2015, 12:17 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

My experience is like yours, Non.

It took me many months for the daily anxiety to die down, though. I was so happy when it did. As long as I stay on a regular food, sleep, exercise cycle, life is pretty good.
Old 10-15-2015, 02:43 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Solid post Non, great stuff!!
Old 10-15-2015, 03:04 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Sober since 1st January 2016

Great post mate. Day 84 is a long way off for me, but I think noting these milestones and not taking them for granted has to be part of the process. I'm determined not to fall short this time. Thanks so much.

Good luck buddy!
Old 10-15-2015, 03:08 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Administrator

Thanks Nons - absolutely agree

D
Old 10-15-2015, 05:14 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I'm only a little over a month in and you are right non ... alcohol still crosses my mind but the chemical reaction that triggers in my head when I think about it is dissapating dramatically. Now when something brings the thought of alcohol to my mind it's not much different than hearing a schoolbell and reminding me of school or seeing leaves change color and thinking of fall. It's becoming more like a normal thought and not attached to a ravenous urge like it was in the past.
Old 10-15-2015, 05:28 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Yep... Alcohol - the chemical - was probably out of my system within a few days or weeks.

Alcohol - the impact, the stunting, the emotional numbing, the physical response, the anxiety, the stress, the masking - well heck, nearly two years on and I'm still finding ways the alcohol left its mark and I'm still growing free.