Notices

Alcohol's effects last longer than I realized

Old 10-15-2015, 05:36 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

I'm at day 51 today and can relate. I have had days recently when I only thought about alcohol once or twice. Only one day so far that I realized I didn't think about it at all and that this is what "normal" people are like. Whatever that is. lol

I'm still up and down emotionally, but no where near as frequently and I seem to be leveling out. I know I still have a lot of healing to do, mainly with reasons of why I drank like I did. One day at a time!

Great post!!
Old 10-15-2015, 11:22 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Madmartigan View Post
I'm only a little over a month in and you are right non ... alcohol still crosses my mind but the chemical reaction that triggers in my head when I think about it is dissapating dramatically. Now when something brings the thought of alcohol to my mind it's not much different than hearing a schoolbell and reminding me of school or seeing leaves change color and thinking of fall. It's becoming more like a normal thought and not attached to a ravenous urge like it was in the past.
Ravenous urge, good one!!!

Yes the thoughts are so much easier to ignore now, in fact I like telling them to get stuffed!
Old 10-16-2015, 12:30 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Great thread.

I would only add that sadly once the brain change is made, it don't change back. Only you know if that has happened for you, but for me accepting this and that it was a physical thing was a great step forward.

You feel better as long as you abstain, but if you drink, the same damaged receptors kick in, hence the fact that when most of us drink, all bets are off.

Spicket off, things improve, spicket on, back at the races.

So to quote my man Dee, don't confuse abstaining for control...
Old 10-16-2015, 08:32 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by StellaPolaris View Post
I used to drink myself to blackouts to get some peace. Now, at 102 days, this wonderful calm feeling is starting to feel like the norm. Like you, I never realized alcohol caused a lot of the turmoil, I thought I was drinking to drown it out for a while.
This was very much my experience as well. I always drank to "take the edge off" and escape some feelings of stress or disappointment. Now that I'm about 4 months from my last drink, I can see how alcohol itself was responsible for most of that stress and disappointment! Thankfully, now I don't feel like there is anything I need to escape from.
Old 10-16-2015, 09:14 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Great post Nons. Couldn't agree more.
Old 10-16-2015, 10:29 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Thanks

Thanks for the post. It makes a lot of sense and almost mirrors what I am going through in my first week.