Notices

Can I keep my choice to myself(

Old 10-15-2015, 11:58 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR! Insomnia sucks and I can relate. I haven't figured out if insomnia causes depression or if depression causes insomnia. Could be a bit of both....I can reassure you that there is no pressure to fess up totally with your wife or anyone else for that matter. Be yourself, love yourself, you are worth it...you are doing this for yourself, but it will have a positive effect on you, positive effect on others in your life and you will gladly reap what you sow. Hang in there! We're with ya...Life is just better all around with a clean mind...

My faith in the Lord is like an anchor to my soul...and so I go to God and have frequent 'chats' with Him on everything. That's such a safe place to bear your soul, your confessions as well as get direction on what to do with others in your life. I've noticed that when I fully enter into the place of prayer I almost immediately feel a sense of peace and reassurance.

Best to you!
Old 10-15-2015, 04:35 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Hi Driedshad, sleep will come with some sober time. And you will love it. Regarding telling others, its your choice. I didn't, still haven't. I stay away from offering input on relationships, I consider it hallowed ground. How you handle it is none of my business. Regarding peer pressure from co-workers, have thick skin. Blow it off. Alcoholism kills people. I applaud you. Wishing you the best.
Old 10-15-2015, 05:32 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

You don't have to tell anyone. She'll notice eventually- it'll be obvious after a few weeks. Then if she wants to bring it up she can.

I never told anyone unless they asked, and I'd rather not talk about it if I don't have to, even with my wife. I'm going on something like day 45 and still haven't told my wife outright, but I know she's noticed because she's drinking a lot less now too.

Maybe the main reason I don't want to talk about it with her is that in the past when I confided that I was worried I had a problem, she'd tell me to just drink beer and wine, or just drink on weekends, or limit myself to 2 a night, or whatever "solutions" that were just going to keep me drinking. And I don't want to hear any of that.

So I'll just keep this between me and myself for as long as possible.
Old 10-16-2015, 07:13 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FreeOwl View Post
I kept it totally secret for a while...

then I realized that part of why I was doing that was out of a secret desire to NOT be accountable to anyone....

I was leaving myself a loophole.

As I became more fully aware and recognized this, I let certain people know. I don't like to broadly communicate my sobriety or my reasons - but those close to me know, and generally people at work and in my group of friends know I don't drink.
Yes! I left myself a loophole for many years and that was a big problem for me. Once I told my husband and grown children, I felt I could really do this.

I hope you get some rest.
Old 10-16-2015, 07:33 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Today I realized why I didn't want to tell anyone. It makes me feel weak. I almost feel ashamed I have to resort to a support group. I made a new thread which explains what made me realize this. But thank you much everyone for helping reach that conclusion.
Old 10-17-2015, 08:22 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Sometimes still if asked by someone who does not know me well, "would you like a drink ?" I simply reply, no thank you I'm not drinking today.

Ones that do know me know that I haven't taken a drink for many days now.

Saying no thank you today comes just as natural as it used be to say, yes I would like a drink.

MM