Notices

Check yourself weekender October 16

Old 10-15-2015, 09:19 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Weasel1966 View Post
Mecanix said something to me in a note of encouragement… “None of this is the fault of being sober”.
That's profound, and true. Mexcanix, ever the wise one Thanks Mecanix.

And thanks Ken, this is a good title for me this week. I do need to check myself.

Yesterday I posted about the depression that's been creeping up on me lately, and I'm pretty sure it's because of the changing season, but still that's no reason for me to isolate and procrastinate and hole up like a hibernating bear, cause I'm no bear! I'm a hippopotamus.

But seriously, yeah I need to check myself. I've been pushing things to the side and it's so easy to let things pile up and succumb to the heavy inertia. Not sure why I tend to do this. Feeling overwhelmed? Afraid? I think so.

Inertia is the big one for me. Perfectionism. And it all leads to procrastination.

I see piles of books in this room and it's easy to feel like I'll never get to them.

I have found it's really hard to change a habit and to start a new one. I've even read books on it, lol.

I slip into the thinking of ... well, just today I will take a break from running, or take a break from doing kitchen cleaning, or laundry, etc. Instead of reading from one chapter, one load of dishes, one load of laundry, one mile... I somehow think I've got to read three chapters or none, three mile run or none, and so on.

So, there's my check for the day.

Now I'm going to do a load of dishes, laundry, and read one chapter (ah, see I just caught myself... about to type "a few" chapters).
Old 10-15-2015, 09:27 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Ah, SoberP, you sound like me. Rome had to be built in a day, OR ELSE!!! Push push push, think think think, pace pace pace. And with the seasonal change my sleep pattern is off. Trying to shake it off.

I wish I didn't say "shake it off" because now I have Taylor Swift running through my head.
Old 10-15-2015, 09:29 AM
  # 43 (permalink)  

Lol @ Taylor Swift. What a phenomenon. Man I wish I even liked her voice a little bit. Lmao.
Old 10-15-2015, 09:30 AM
  # 44 (permalink)  

Ruby, my sleep pattern is off too, darn it. I hate it when this happens.
Old 10-15-2015, 09:37 AM
  # 45 (permalink)  

MLD, isn't it reassuring to hear all that? Good for you!
Old 10-15-2015, 09:37 AM
  # 46 (permalink)  

I just can't imagine who here this might apply to...

- 'Shake It Off Parody ~ 'Knock It Off' -

Now on line with the smokin' Wireless Bridge 'Net Connection. Cleaned up a Phone Jack Contact. Slammed in a new Modem I'd bought so I don't keep renting the Telecom Company one. Ran exhaustive Tests w/ and w/o Wireless Router. W/ and w/o Roku turned on to check Bandwidth Capacity consumption. W/ and w/o You Tube Videos going, since Video munches some Bandwidth. Tried both Laptops. Locked in a Static IP Address on this Laptop which is the only path back to see the Web Portal showing Wireless Antenna Bridge performance. I'm sure this is self-explanatory.-)

We golden here. Back in the Day, I'd probably quaff a Shot about now for a Techno Job well done. Instead, I'll eat something. I'm hungry!
Old 10-15-2015, 09:38 AM
  # 47 (permalink)  

SoberP, I have a feeling that I'll be hearing way more Taylor Swift and similar ilk as my 7 year old daughter gets older.
Old 10-15-2015, 09:41 AM
  # 48 (permalink)  
Sober since October

Location: In the world in my eyes...Somewhere I've never been before...
I am in!
Old 10-15-2015, 09:46 AM
  # 49 (permalink)  

MesaMan, the funniest part to me: single guy walks in and is swarmed by the kids, and says "oh my god" @ 2:33

That's a pretty good vid she put together.
Old 10-15-2015, 09:57 AM
  # 50 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

Note to self. Wear makeup more often. All dressed up and leaving the house now.
Old 10-15-2015, 10:06 AM
  # 51 (permalink)  

Happy Friday morning; I'm in.
Old 10-15-2015, 10:17 AM
  # 52 (permalink)  

Getting on late, but I'm finally in!

Great topic Ken. I have to check myself often to make sure I'm not getting complacent. Every time I relapsed I forgot exactly where that first drink would take me. I think that's called selective memory... now I select to remember why I want to stay sober.

Happy Thursday everybody
Old 10-15-2015, 10:27 AM
  # 53 (permalink)  

I'm in, Happy Thursday, you guys are awesome!

Happy birthday to Nugget, MLD! And congrats on the body scan news!

Congrats on 6 months, GS!

Day 137 here, all good.
Old 10-15-2015, 10:39 AM
  # 54 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Evening gang,

90 minute drive home to go yet (if i'm lucky with the traffic)

Ruby, things could be worse, aged 9 and 7 my two were Spice Girl MAD

Congratulations on 1st Birthday Nugget

Well done on check up MLD
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
2015-10-15 18.18.01.jpg (21.4 KB, 46 views)
Old 10-15-2015, 11:02 AM
  # 55 (permalink)  

MLD: don't you hate that qualifier? For a woman YOUR age...
Congrats on 6 moghts GS..

Hey everybody - midnight blue just celebrated 3 years!

SoberP - great post, I'm right there with you.

The doorbell rang - I knew immediately - the new camera’s here! Of course I started to look at all the negatives. Like I thought there was to be a case for it. And the easy to read instructions of course are on a CD. And unless I connect the CD drive to this notebook… Internet to the rescue again one hopes.
Then I looked at the calendar to see when it arrived. Oh, it’s constitution day! The day America celebrates the 39 brave men who signed this document… If you go to grave sites throughout the northeast you will see the turf undulating as these men are spinning furiously in their graves.
The American constitution… It is now like most people (elected officials) treat stop signs on a country road with no one around.

Oh, wait a minute – that was last month Sept 17--- turn the page to October please. It’s the 15th.
Good thing I have a calendar hanging on the wall. At least the little box in the corner of my screen is always correct to the microsecond.
Anyone for a chicken sandwich?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
chikinsammy.JPG (50.1 KB, 41 views)
Old 10-15-2015, 11:23 AM
  # 56 (permalink)  

Half hour early. Didn't want to take a single chance. So I'll just hang out in my car and read the job description 20 times.
Old 10-15-2015, 11:32 AM
  # 57 (permalink)  

Fingers crossed for you, MLD. Be your "best" you Nice firm handshake, look them in the eyes, yada, yada.

I think they look for confidence, authenticity, energy, positive attitude, and even a sense of humor.

It helps me to go through questions they might ask in mind, kind of rehearsing what I might say. Keeps the anxiety level down. Works for me anyway. Some people like to completely zone out, do breathing exercises, and consciously relax muscles in the body. I've done that too.

You will be great Go get 'em.
Old 10-15-2015, 11:33 AM
  # 58 (permalink)  

MLD - get out of you car and take a walk around the block. Look at some birds or something and get some fresh air before you go in. Relax girlfriend! Clear you head for a few minutes.
Old 10-15-2015, 11:36 AM
  # 59 (permalink)  

I'd do that if the wind weren't blowing a constant 30 mph here today, Brain. Don't want my hair to look like a rat's nest. Ok I'm going in. Yikes!
Old 10-15-2015, 11:37 AM
  # 60 (permalink)  

One more tip I picked up from TED talks ... power poses. They say not to cross your arms across your chest, don't cross your legs even. Stay "open" because it appears more powerful. No slouching in the seat, don't let your chest cave in. Sit tall.

It was really hard for me not to cross my legs, as that always seems so normal to do. But I actually walked in feeling more confident and powerful, because it sends a message to your brain that you *are* powerful somehow.