Notices

Today marks 6 months: The Jouney continues

Old 10-14-2015, 02:47 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Today marks 6 months: The Jouney continues

Today I have 6 months sober and yes daily life has changed in dramatic ways. . By sharing a bit of my experience I hope I can help others.
Changes: A huge change that has occurred within these 6 months is getting rid of toxic people that contributed only unnecessary stress, drama, or low self-esteem “put-downs” to my life. Yes I may still have family members that I do run into because of not being completely independent & being in my hometown BUT I know how to avoid these people in a healthier ways. Plus, being consistently at work and studying for my course keeps me focused on reaching the goal of being completely independent. As I got sober initially, my mind that loves to think incessantly immediately jumped to why aren’t you doing enough? You should go move out of NYC go back to California or you are not taking enough classes or you should be in a serious relationship by this age” It is funny how the addict mind loves to use anxiety as its secret weapon for relapse. And boy oh boy I did have some close encounters during these past 6 months with relapse and I know there will be more BUT at the end of day cravings will come, close encounters will happen, and new triggers will come and old triggers may return HOWEVER awareness that these things will happen is what will keep me and us safe. I have realized that goals that I have/had for my life need to be big enough and exciting enough to want a sober life especially in the early years.
Tools: I could not have gotten to 6 months without my mom’s support. I had a lot of resentment towards her because she refuses to kick out my older brother who still uses consistently and is verbally abusive to both my parents and any female he encounters HOWEVER, my mom has been there to listen and support and it is time to focus on MY RECOVERY and not what others in my family are still negatively doing in their 40’s. Posting here & being grateful has been pivotal. Making WEEKLY goals and sticking to them no matter what has been PIVOTAL. Praying and talking to God has been pivotal.
Celebration and Rewards: The little things matter the most. At month 6 I realize celebrating and rewarding my self is just as important as staying away from triggers and old associations. This weekend I am going to New Jersey for a Halloween Horror Fest with my oldest friend. Every two weeks I purchase a DVD of new movie releases to reward myself. I am taking a course on a subject I am passionate about (going to class doesn’t feel like a burden but a GIFT). If you guys have been following my previous posts you know I went to a Sober Living in LA last year and created a great network of friends there and wanted to relocate out of NYC where all my using family members but was not ready to go back there due to finances. Now, I am trying to save enough money so I can return to LA once I finish my course in May. I am counting down to the birth of my two nephews God Willing this January. I am getting closure over things that happened before I started using. I am learning who I want to be and where I want to go in my life without running away from my problems but by facing them head on.
Current Struggles that Remain: Struggles that remain: I still have things that I know trigger me and I know the holiday season is a rough time for many of us (when it gets colder my depression tends to arise). As I head into month 7, 8, 9 I will face the holiday season in NYC. However, I have Sober Recovery support, God, and goals that will keep me busy this year. Last year during the holidays when I was using, I just was not ready to stop. I lost my entire support network by moving back to New York and I had the stress of TWO weddings in my family and it really was all deflection away from me not facing reality. This year awareness and lessons learned will God willing help me stay sober. Another struggle that continues to remain is that I am still in the same house/neighborhood as my older brother that is still in the drug and criminal life style. However, I have a goal to be out of here by April/May in which I will have a year of being clean. I have learned how important keeping goals are for me. Goals, savings, and meeting deadlines are something that being sober allows me to do. AND ultimately, it is my ticket to love, new friendships, and new opportunities.
I said to myself the other day: The first 6 months was my “Civil War” The next “6 months is the World War” because my brain will tell me “oh 6 month’s is enough now let’s return to old behavior” BUT I must be aware and keep using my tools because the journey to sobriety and the benefits are just beginning!

Fall14:
Old 10-14-2015, 02:50 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm really glad you've hit six months skywalker - congratulations

No matter what the future brings, log in here anytime you need us

D
Old 10-14-2015, 03:01 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
I'm really glad you've hit six months skywalker - congratulations

No matter what the future brings, log in here anytime you need us

D
You are too sweet Dee74! Thank You so much I am glad too. I appreciate all your support and kind words
Old 10-14-2015, 03:15 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Great post! I can relate a lot to it. I have recently went back to school and my perspective on it as a mature and sober person is so different this time around. I love the learning and the lectures!

Keep up the good work.
Old 10-14-2015, 03:33 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Well done skywalker.
Old 10-14-2015, 03:50 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Do your best

Excellent Skywalker well happy for you 6 months is an incredible achievement congrats bud
Old 10-14-2015, 03:58 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thank you for this post. I'm at 50 days today and found this to be very helpful. Setting weekly goals is something I intend to start doing today!

Congrats on 6 months. That is AWESOME!!!
Old 10-14-2015, 03:59 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Um Dia de Cada Vez

Hey Skywalker! Do you remember this?

Originally Posted by BlissWithin View Post
Congratulations Skywalker, I crossed the 90 day mark 2 weeks ago, and it sure does change my perspective on things, sobriety long-term seems like a real possibility now, lets keep pushing through!
Originally Posted by skywalker91 View Post
Congrats to you!! Yes, we can do this I already see us congratulating each other on our 6 months heh
We are freakin awesome
Old 10-14-2015, 04:00 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Congrats on six months sober!
Old 10-14-2015, 04:08 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

It sounds like you're doing really well, Skywalker.

I have to work a bit harder to keep my depression at bay when the weather gets colder too. I know it's because I love to be outside walking and that is more limited in the winter. But, I am going to make every effort to get out even for twenty minutes if it's really cold.
Old 10-14-2015, 06:24 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

HAHA that is wonderful. We are awesome. Can we stay awesome and before we know it we will be congratulating each other for 9 months sober?!

Hey Skywalker! Do you remember this?

We are freakin awesome
Old 10-14-2015, 06:26 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

I predict you will stay awesome. How wonderful that you've reached 6 sober months.
Old 10-14-2015, 06:28 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I am so glad that I won't wont be alone with the winter depression! I love being outdoors as well & hate heavy jackets and winter gear. I was born in the summer actually lol. I will make myself keep it exciting and fun even if its below 10 degrees out! Honestly, silly as it sounds the Star Wars movie and the Danish Girl releasing this winter is keeping me excited as of now haha (the smallest things go a long way)

Originally Posted by Anna View Post
It sounds like you're doing really well, Skywalker.

I have to work a bit harder to keep my depression at bay when the weather gets colder too. I know it's because I love to be outside walking and that is more limited in the winter. But, I am going to make every effort to get out even for twenty minutes if it's really cold.
Old 10-14-2015, 06:31 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

No problem helping someone else that shares the same disease as me is what it is all about! I am glad this helped. I promise you no matter how bad it WAS it gets profoundly better if you just stay sober and make goals. Have fun! It won't always be sunshine but you will have a profoundly better reason for getting up in the morning

Originally Posted by Sinderos View Post
Thank you for this post. I'm at 50 days today and found this to be very helpful. Setting weekly goals is something I intend to start doing today!

Congrats on 6 months. That is AWESOME!!!
Old 10-14-2015, 06:33 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Thanks bud! & seeing your grateful posts every day truly do help

Originally Posted by soberwolf View Post
Excellent Skywalker well happy for you 6 months is an incredible achievement congrats bud
Old 10-14-2015, 06:35 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I am so glad that you can relate. School has always been such a passion for me but as soon as I picked up my brain just could not tolerate learning anything that had value. I am so glad we can both reap the benefits of a healthier brain.

Originally Posted by Justincredible View Post
Great post! I can relate a lot to it. I have recently went back to school and my perspective on it as a mature and sober person is so different this time around. I love the learning and the lectures!

Keep up the good work.
Old 10-14-2015, 07:48 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Um Dia de Cada Vez

Originally Posted by skywalker91 View Post
HAHA that is wonderful. We are awesome. Can we stay awesome and before we know it we will be congratulating each other for 9 months sober?!
Oh yeah! Now it's a tradition, we're in October but people will also be reading this in January/16, I'm pretty sure.
Old 10-15-2015, 04:42 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Fantastic Skywalker!!
Old 10-15-2015, 09:01 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

for sure!

Oh yeah! Now it's a tradition, we're in October but people will also be reading this in January/16, I'm pretty sure.
Old 10-15-2015, 01:59 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Thank You Purpleknight!

Originally Posted by Purpleknight View Post
Fantastic Skywalker!!