Notices

Hi all

Old 10-12-2015, 11:19 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hi all

This is my first time on any recovery sites or even talking about being an alcoholic. Today is my 4th day of quitting after 11 yrs. I really didn't know I had a problem till the last year. My drinking habits varied I guess, I could go 3 days then drink, then I would drink days, but mainly 4 or 5 beers, sometimes it would be vodka, So I can't honestly say on a day to day basis how much I drank. I do know the only symptoms I have had in these four days is feeling a little tired. I haven't had the shakes or anything and when I have drank before I would wake up sometimes with shakes and would have to drink. How is it that I have no withdrawal symptoms per-Se?
Old 10-13-2015, 01:25 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Everyone's different Robynjo

Just don't do what I did a few times and think that because I had no detox problems that meant I wasn't an alcoholic

I'd just be glad you had a good detox - that's a great start to your recovery

Welcome aboard

D
Old 10-13-2015, 01:33 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Could be a ton of different factors. The multi-day breaks in between binges, your age, DNA, diet, exercise regiment, work load, stress, and more.

One thing I can guarantee though, if you do continue drinking, you will eventually get harsh withdrawals. That one is somewhat inevitable.

Congrats on day 4!
Old 10-13-2015, 01:36 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Sober Soldier

Hi robynjo awesome work on day 4!
Old 10-13-2015, 02:56 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I just had trouble sleeping. My lack of withdrawal symptoms the first two times I tried to stop (lasted 2 weeks each time) kept me coming back for more....made me believe I didn't have a problem.

This third quit? Still just trouble sleeping, feeling hot and cold and a little sweaty (but that could be for other reasons too), but not letting it fool me this time. I know what drinking again will bring me and it ain't pretty.

Congrats on day 4!
Old 10-13-2015, 03:48 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome roby! Everyone is different with the WD thing as has been stated. consider it a gift. Lots of other gifts to be had by staying sober Stick around.
Old 10-13-2015, 05:04 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome Robynjo nice to meet you
Old 10-13-2015, 05:13 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome Robynjo I agree with with zombob - it's a gift. Don't be surprised if you feel tired and cranky. Be kind to yourself so your body can adjust to its new chemistry. The next thing is to prepare for the long run: how are you going to remain sober? What's your plan?
Old 10-13-2015, 05:21 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi Rob and welcome!

When I first really truly realized I was heading down a very slippery path and needed to stop, I didn't have withdrawal either. I just knew my drinking wasn't normal, my attitude toward drinking wasn't normal. I was sober for 9 months. I'm not sure exactly what happened but once I admitted, if only partially, that I was an alcoholic, my drinking got worse and worse with each subsequent relapse. And the withdrawals got worse as well. It was almost like my addicted brain knew that it needed to protect the addiction, so it panicked and drank more and more. Not sure. But drinking was no longer fun, at all. If you're an alcoholic your drinking will progress and your withdrawal probably will as well. If you can, trust that one piece of information. Good luck.
Old 10-13-2015, 05:32 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
I could see peace instead of this

Welcome to SR, robynjo!
Old 10-15-2015, 04:31 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum Robynjo!!