Notices

I might lose my new dog

Old 10-12-2015, 10:01 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I might lose my new dog

So I've had this dog since I got out of the psych ward on Friday, and I've fallen in love with it. We're going on all kinds of adventures every day. The dog was clearly traumatized by my cousin's mental illness and drug abuse. She is showing signs of chronic neglect and abuse. He never gifted me the dog, so if he says he wants the dog back, I have to give her back. He said that he didn't care about the dog in the hospital, but he's insane and withdrawing off of whatever drugs he was on, so maybe when he's sane again, he might change his mind.

I'm really stressed about the dog thing. I feel that I have a moral responsibility to stay sober and keep this dog. I feel bad for my cousin because I have mental health and substance abuse issues too, but I don't want to just surrender the dog if it's going back to a bad situation.

Here's what I've noticed:
Poor socialization: terrified of other dogs and unfamiliar humans
Aggression
Low body weight and muscle mass
Doesn't know what dog treats are
Doesn't know what toys are
Tartar on teeth and won't chew anything
Not spayed
Not trained at all, not even paper trained, or trained to walk on a leash

I'm pretty sure he just dumped dog food in this poor animal's bowl when he remembered to do so. I'm not sure when he went off his meds, but it looks as though the dog was neglected for pretty much its entire life. It's really happy with me, and I have photos to prove it. I grew up in the middle of nowhere, so my fun is outdoorsy stuff. My cousin just plays video games when he gets home from work.

Help? I don't know what to do. I have this dog that isn't technically mine, but that I'm spending a lot of money on. Does anyone know how I can somehow keep the dog? I love it already. I'd knife fight for the dog.
Old 10-12-2015, 10:06 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Dog was abandoned, you claimed it and began caring for it, can you come up with a record of transactions for things you've purchased for the dog since you've taken it in? Like, do you have receipts or bank statements from when you first started buying things for the pup? If you don't, start keeping up with them (and fluff a little if necessary) and refuse to turn the dog over.

You have pictures of the condition of the dog before and after, prove you are caring for the dog, if he wants the dog back make him take you to court. That's costly and will probably result in no court and hard feelings for a while over said dog.

But stand your ground. You're taking care of it without an agreement that it would be for a finite amount of time. Your dog, make the cousin prove otherwise.
Old 10-12-2015, 10:09 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

The dog is so happy with me. I need to keep her.
Old 10-12-2015, 10:13 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I think the dog is yours, cousin lost his chance
Adorable little thing xx
Old 10-12-2015, 10:16 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Kallistia View Post
Dog was abandoned, you claimed it and began caring for it, can you come up with a record of transactions for things you've purchased for the dog since you've taken it in? Like, do you have receipts or bank statements from when you first started buying things for the pup? If you don't, start keeping up with them (and fluff a little if necessary) and refuse to turn the dog over.

You have pictures of the condition of the dog before and after, prove you are caring for the dog, if he wants the dog back make him take you to court. That's costly and will probably result in no court and hard feelings for a while over said dog.

But stand your ground. You're taking care of it without an agreement that it would be for a finite amount of time. Your dog, make the cousin prove otherwise.
Yeah, I want to get her microchipped and insured after the holiday (in Canada, this is our thanksgiving). I also want to get her spayed and enrolled in some kind of obedience/agility training class for working dogs. Dogs are regarded as property under the law here though. I may ask a divorce lawyer to help me this week. I didn't know that I might have to give my new puppy back.
Old 10-12-2015, 10:24 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Jsbodhi View Post
I think the dog is yours, cousin lost his chance
Adorable little thing xx
She doesn't look skinny in the photos, but I can feel her spine and all her ribs. The sunlight passes through regions in her legs, and she doesn't even have enough stamina to keep up with a 'former' alcoholic/chain smoker. I shouldn't be able to wear out an 8 month old husky mix in two hours.
Old 10-12-2015, 11:06 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

What a sweet pooch! I hope you get to keep her!
Old 10-12-2015, 11:14 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Is this not underweight? I'm looking at photos of Labrador retrievers and huskies, and none of them look like this. Imagine I shaved her.
Old 10-12-2015, 11:26 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Oh yeah, that's grossly underweight. Get some pork / steak / chicken in that girl.
Old 10-12-2015, 11:45 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hello dunkelheit.
What is the dog's name? If you are accepting responsibility for this fragile creature you most definitely have a moral responsibility to remain sober to care for it. You seem very detached. The dog may make you feel good but do you make it feel good? If not, please find him/her a home that will.
Old 10-12-2015, 11:47 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by TroyW View Post
Oh yeah, that's grossly underweight. Get some pork / steak / chicken in that girl.
Yeah, I thought so. It gets to be -40 degrees centigrade up here. I think I may have to buy a northern breed dog a winter coat just to survive where I live, even as an indoor dog. She hardly eats as it is. I'm buying top of the line dog food too. $50/bag, free-range, whole game stock, eggs, wild-caught fish, organic squash, lamb and all kinds of healthy crap in there. The dog eats better than I do.
Old 10-12-2015, 11:54 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Verdantia,

I don't hear detached -- I hear love.

Agreed that dogs are a big responsibility, but Dunkelhiet seems to be embracing it. We all need someone to love.
Old 10-12-2015, 11:57 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Verdantia View Post
Hello dunkelheit.
What is the dog's name? If you are accepting responsibility for this fragile creature you most definitely have a moral responsibility to remain sober to care for it. You seem very detached. The dog may make you feel good but do you make it feel good? If not, please find him/her a home that will.
The dog's name is Nyx, the daughter of primordial chaos. I renamed her because I like badass names. I'm not detached, it's just language, just like how I call my friends behind their backs. I call one of my best friends, "Mr.K" because he does a lot of ketamine. It doesn't mean I like or respect him any less, that's just what I do. My best friend is "Owey Meowy" because she makes cat and pain noises all the time. It's just how I think. I'm not a psychopath or anything.
Old 10-13-2015, 12:34 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Nyx is a cool name. I feel that often I have been detached. It is not a criticism. I have cared for many cats and loved them, more than humans often. I get that you love Nyx. I know you are not a psychopath.
Old 10-13-2015, 01:10 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by dunkelheit View Post
It gets to be -40 degrees centigrade up here. I think I may have to buy a northern breed dog a winter coat just to survive where I live, even as an indoor dog.
Oh yeah, I know. I'm Canadian myself too, so know all about the joys of a Canadian winter. Actually even lived in North York for about 6 months back in the day.

The dog eats better than I do.
heh, I definitely know that feeling too. Well, my dogs don't eat better than me, but they definitely eat more. It's always fun going to the market -- get some shrimp for myself, then get 2kg of pork plus 1kg of minced pork for the dogs. People look at me funny, thinking I eat it all in one serving.

Nope, just the shrimp for me -- the dogs get all the pork.
Old 10-13-2015, 01:49 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I am really glad that this dog is providing you with some happiness and that you are taking good care of it. It does not sound like your cousin cared too much about the dog, so maybe you can have a chat with him and explain that you took the dog to give it a better home with more access to the outdoors.

All this said, what is going on with you and your treatment? It IS really great that you are on a high caring for this animal, but what is going to happen to the animal if you ever decide to break into your ex boyfriend's house and attack him with a deadly weapon like you did last Friday? You are walking on thin ice here. You mentioned that your mom bailed you out with a good lawyer this last time, what if she gets sick of the drama and you head off to jail? Who is going to take care of the dog then? I am not really an animal person, don't have pets myself, but I do think that dogs are similar to children in that they need loving, stable homes. If you are not taking care of yourself in the end it is going to affect the dog. Just like I have to take care of myself in order to be the best mother possible to my children.

I am saying this from a place of care an compassion, not judgment and absolutely without malice, but it must be said: from the outside this dog situation and your infatuation and apparent high from getting a new puppy, meanwhile no more mention/remorse/comments on the fact that you broke into your ex's house, attacked him (after having previously attacked him so viscously he required lasting physical therapy), ran from police, almost caused two cars to wreck, is curious. It seems to be a sign that you are not taking your addiction and psychological issues seriously. You are a danger to yourself, others around you, and could be to this dog if you do not seek help. It would be remiss to not point that out to you.
Old 10-13-2015, 02:28 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Hi, I won't preach much to remind you of your own treatment now as others have done it already. Just want to say that the dog is indeed adorable and I totally get how you fell in love with it. I also like the name -- I was a goth in my teens and had pet rats. I chose names for them from mythology, usually "darker" ones like you did. It's a form of self-expression, projection if you will. It could be a cool exercise in development and fantasy over time to bring Nyx out of the chaos... both you and the puppy, together

Please don't use this exciting new company to escape from addressing your problems though as the story is unlikely to have a great development without your focusing on that as well... and as you know, things can get sudden unexpected turns if you lose focus.

Beautiful pictures btw, I love all the autumn colors.
Old 10-13-2015, 02:44 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Does anyone know how I can somehow keep the dog? I love it already. I'd knife fight for the dog.
Before you get more involved with the dog you need to ask of him if he will give you the dog. If so, it would be best to ask of him for a simple receipt stating that he on this date gives full responsibility of the keeping of the dog to you. From this day on the dog is yours.

I have seen many of these types of cases end up in small claims courts over the years.

All of a sudden -- everyone wants the dog and claims to have rights to it.
In the end feelings are hurt and someone ends up crying.
Plus, it doesn't always work out perfect for the dog.

M-B
Old 10-13-2015, 03:03 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Is this not underweight? I'm looking at photos of Labrador retrievers and huskies, and none of them look like this. Imagine I shaved her.
ive owned labs and huskies and neither resembled your dog. imo it is a different breed. some breeds are naturally skinny.
if you truly love that dog no matter what happens with ownership, you will get it to a vet and let a professional detetmine if there are any issues.
please feed it a proper diet.
Old 10-13-2015, 05:12 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I am certainly not a vet but Nyx is malnourished. I hope and pray that she finds the peace and love that she needs. If dunkelheit can give her this, wonderful. If not, it is selfish of her to not give this beautiful creature a break at a good life. I am a passionate animal advocate who realised at one time that I couldn't give the creatures I loved the help they needed when I unable to care for myself.