Notices

I might lose my new dog

Old 10-14-2015, 05:40 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  
Do your best

I strongly agree with tooshabby I'm sorry your meds havnt been sorted out a month is way too long can you make an emergency Dr apt & tell them what you just told us

What have you been feeding the pooch DH I'm thinking food in gravy tins will fatten nyx up quicker
Old 10-14-2015, 09:37 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by soberwolf View Post
I strongly agree with tooshabby I'm sorry your meds havnt been sorted out a month is way too long can you make an emergency Dr apt & tell them what you just told us

What have you been feeding the pooch DH I'm thinking food in gravy tins will fatten nyx up quicker
I already went to my medical doctor twice, and I tried to contact my old psychiatrist, who I hated by the way. What is CBT, paying someone to listen to your problems? The clinical psychologist I've been seeing every week was away last week, and she cancelled our appointment for today. She's probably in Hawaii or some ********.

Orijen whole game puppy chow and warmed-up canned dog food. It's all grain-free.
Old 10-14-2015, 09:48 AM
  # 43 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by dunkelheit View Post
I already went to my medical doctor twice, and I tried to contact my old psychiatrist, who I hated by the way. What is CBT, paying someone to listen to your problems? The clinical psychologist I've been seeing every week was away last week, and she cancelled our appointment for today. She's probably in Hawaii or some ********.

Orijen whole game puppy chow and warmed-up canned dog food. It's all grain-free.
Are you staying sober through this? It's a horrendously bad idea for you to be simply avoiding the problems in your life by pretending having a dog is the solution. It's also very unfair to the dog and the other people you have physically harmed because of your issues.
Old 10-14-2015, 10:27 AM
  # 44 (permalink)  
Do your best

Why isn't the Dr prescribing meds ? When you left the psych ward did they not give you meds or a prescription at least ??

I don't get it DH your Dr must know you need your meds esp if you have been off them a month & your saying you have seen the Dr twice since that ? & they know you need meds but won't give them ?

What is going on DH can you go into more detail or get to your local hospital you know you need help & its only a matter of time before something bad happens

Could you go to the hospital ?
Old 10-14-2015, 10:39 AM
  # 45 (permalink)  

Hi, I just wanted to tell you that I still had a dog 5 years ago when my drinking began in earnest. I am sure she suffered from the lack of human contact although she was never without food or water or a warm bed. Someone else mentioned this in another post and that their dog used to avoid them when they were under the influence. I cut my dogs claws while half cut and made one bleed. To this day I am more ashamed of this than anything else I have done.

My dog is now gone from old age and I have goldfish as was also suggested by someone in another thread. If you do decide to keep the dog please carry an emergency card in your purse and let someone close to you know that you have an animal depending on you should you become ill again.
Old 10-14-2015, 10:50 AM
  # 46 (permalink)  

Dunkelheit, dogs are a lot of responsibility, as I'm sure you're finding out. I got two dogs at 1.5 year sober. It was a HUGE change for me. It took me thirty days to adjust to the new puppy (and that involved a mini-meltdown at one point). I will caution you to be aware that this is a life changing/life altering decision you've made to take on this precious dog. A dog isn't only there for us; we must be there for them. This should be an unselfish decision on your part.

TIME and MONEY are the two big factors to consider when taking on a pet.

I don't know a lot about your situation, but from reading the other posts, I take it that you are not in the most stable situation or state of mind at this point. Please take care of yourself, and get the professional help you need. We can not take care of animals who are dependent on us if we struggle to take care for ourselves.

I hope you do the right thing.
Old 10-14-2015, 11:31 AM
  # 47 (permalink)  

Sometimes in recovery we just have to prioritize ourselves. Are you sure you are ready to have a pet?
In recovery, you have to be at the top of your list of responsibilities. Then, second on the list comes you again. And third. And fourth. And so on.
Sounds like you have a lot of work to do in recovery, heaven knows all of us do and did, and the dog may distract you from that important focus.
Take care.
Old 10-14-2015, 11:37 AM
  # 48 (permalink)  

When one of my dogs stopped eating, I started to poor a tiny bit of bacon grease in the bowl with the food. That would entice him to eat some. Or ground beef grease when you make tacos etc. Tuna fish water/oil, some peanutbutter, etc just make sure it is lower in sodium as sodium isnt great for dogs.

Is her teeth bad? Sometimes dogs have trouble eating dry food because of their teeth. So a trick would be to poor some water over the food just enough to get the food a little wet. Then it absorbs the water and makes the dry food softer.

Great looking pup.
Old 10-14-2015, 11:55 AM
  # 49 (permalink)  

I have a dog which I've had for awhile and it was long overdue for me to get a do g like this. She is the best dog I've ever had.

I am very partial to SHEPHERD/herd dogs. I think they are about the smartest dog breed there is (think border collie), and you can teach her just about anything; she even recognizes short words spelled out like "w-a-l-k" and "b-a-t-h". What a dog she is. And even though she is now 11 years old she is still teachable, which totally amazes me. They say you can't teach an old dog new tricks. In her case I've found this not to be so. A good dog that you have bonded with will be loyal to you and can be wonderful companions. It sounds like this dog is a good fit for you and I'm very happy for ya!

take care..
Old 10-14-2015, 12:00 PM
  # 50 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

I remember when you got Lucy Jenny. She was quite a handful back then LOL
Just wanted to say that Nyx has the most beautiful smile and that she will be a very handsome dog once she puts on 5 pounds or so.
Old 10-14-2015, 12:05 PM
  # 51 (permalink)  

Lol, yeah she was. Beagle puppies are wide open. I knew she would be work, but going through the actual transition from no dog to suddenly - DOG! - was a learning experience I think for some it might not be such a change, but I was used to cats who could take care of themselves, and also, was used to solitude. Suddenly, my solitude was broken She did grow out of that stage, thank god, but it was a trip while it lasted I'd love to see that crazy little puppy again She's a grown-up now and I love her so much. She's my "doggie daughter" since I don't have human kids.

Nyx does have a great smile Pretty dog. Tall and thin. Looks like she can put on a few pounds, hope she does. Almost looks like some greyhound mix?
Old 10-14-2015, 12:13 PM
  # 52 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

She does look like a greyhound/lab mix indeed.
I am glad that Lucy quit crying and peeing everywhere and (hopefully) annoying the cats LOL
Right now, it would not be sensible for me to have pets but I love animals. I used to be more of a dog person when I was younger but with age I have become more of a cat person. Like you say, cats take care of themselves, dogs tend to be needier and I don't feel I would have the energy for a younger one.
Old 10-14-2015, 12:25 PM
  # 53 (permalink)  

She is pee-peeing outside now Thank GOD! It had me worried so much back then. Just goes to show how a recovering alcoholic can be fragile to the point that a dog can wreak havoc. And I was at a year and a half sober already. So there is no way, no way that I could have done that as a newb.

The cats were about all I could handle as a drinker. I am so thankful I didn't have a dog during those years, it certainly would have suffered.

Carlotta, I was a "cat person" for years. Even though I loved all animals, I was aligned with the cat side of things for sure. My husband really loves to remind me how much of a "cat mama" I was. Once I got the dogs, I became a "dog mama" Lol. I'm much more of a dog mama than a cat mama. Cat's don't need moms! The dogs definitely tapped into any motherly instincts I had.
Old 10-14-2015, 05:03 PM
  # 54 (permalink)  

Getting shots and a check-up. The scale said 39.4kg, but I think it must be wrong. There's no way I could lift her if she was 87lbs. I had a husky/wolf mix that weighed 100 or so pounds, but she was massive. I had to walk a dog that weighed more than I did when I was 12. I had my chest torn up whenever she decided to run after a rabbit or something. Neither female labs, nor huskies, are ever that large. The vet confirmed that Nyx was malnourished, but not that badly.

I don't think my problem even really needs medication. It's just impulse control that's the problem. Nyx and I were at the park yesterday, and a loose bulldog came running at us. No owner in sight. I was ready to kick the dog in the face, but I didn't. Nyx was terrified, she tried to bite the other dog. I didn't want to interfere because I was afraid the loose dog was vicious. I just let Nyx run circles around me until the owner came to put his dog back on the leash.
Old 10-14-2015, 05:14 PM
  # 55 (permalink)  

I'm pretty much like that. I'll fight tooth and nail, literally, for my dog. It's a different species, but it's also like having a child. My uncle kicked my dog across the driveway once at christmas dinner, and he was basically outcasted from the family. I was ready to fight him, but he is 7ft tall and as impulsive as I am. My family doesn't put up with animal abuse. My grandpa was a huge animal advocate, and we always had dogs. I haven't had one in 3 years because I was mourning my other dog's death. I have her ashes and a paw print wall decoration in my room.
Old 10-14-2015, 05:33 PM
  # 56 (permalink)  

If that bulldog actually attacked Nyx, I'd probably get my legs torn up for her.
Old 10-14-2015, 05:37 PM
  # 57 (permalink)  

Definitely underweight.

Good on you for saving her .xx
Old 10-14-2015, 05:48 PM
  # 58 (permalink)  

I brought in a poop sample. They'll test for worms. Considering where she was living, I doubt there will be worms, but worms might be a problem where I'm living. Whatever the coyotes and wolves have, she'll probably have eventually.
Old 10-14-2015, 05:58 PM
  # 59 (permalink)  

I love this dog. I'll fight for her. With wolves, or humans, or whatever. I'm way more vicious than she is.
Old 10-14-2015, 06:02 PM
  # 60 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by dunkelheit View Post
I'm way more vicious than she is.
And therein lies the problem...which you continue to completely ignnore.