Notices

First sober business trip

Old 10-12-2015, 03:29 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

First sober business trip

So I am out of state for the next 2 weeks for work. Pretty nice hotel, cool people etc... it is pretty strange not drinking. In my experience most people use business trips as an excuse to get wasted somewhere new on the companies dime. I know I always did and it seemed like it was one time where everyone drank like alcoholics. Anyway, I'm exhausted from the trip and working all day. Got a big fattening diner and just got back to my hotel. Brought my laptop to hook up to the tv and watch netflix. Thank god!! They don't have very many channels. Anyway, just sharing thoughts. I'm not really craving per say, I suppose it's more reminiscent of what I would be doing right now if I weren't sober. I'm not really disappointed I am not drinking, not really sure what I'm getting at or feeling. I suppose I'm just soaking it in and reflecting.
Old 10-12-2015, 03:37 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I had the same experience last week. It was challenging but I am SO GLAD I stayed sober. I feel really good about it.

You can do this!
Old 10-12-2015, 04:25 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I'm just ending my four day business trip in Vegas completely sober and I feel so accomplished. It was definitely um different! I made a plan and stuck with it. You can too.

Enjoy your Netflix!
Old 10-13-2015, 05:22 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Getting ready for bed on day 2 of the Ole business trip. Still sober. Been exploring restaurants they have around here that aren't around where I live. That's the highlight of my free time since I'm not drinking. Had a grilled pork, ground Wasabi mustard, and pimento cheese sandwich with some spicy seafood gumbo tonight. Was pretty amazing if I do say so myself. Hope everyone is well. Tomorrow will be 1 month sober for me ... woo hoo!
Old 10-13-2015, 05:27 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
JD
You're not shackled to not drinking, you're free from drinking

Way to go Mad! I'm 30 days today and leaving for my first business trip in the morning. I'll be thinking of you and I'll promise you I'll make it too.
Old 10-13-2015, 05:33 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Madmartigan View Post
Getting ready for bed on day 2 of the Ole business trip. Still sober. Been exploring restaurants they have around here that aren't around where I live. That's the highlight of my free time since I'm not drinking. Had a grilled pork, ground Wasabi mustard, and pimento cheese sandwich with some spicy seafood gumbo tonight. Was pretty amazing if I do say so myself. Hope everyone is well. Tomorrow will be 1 month sober for me ... woo hoo!
That's great. Business travel is a challenge. Whether it is drinking at the airport or drinking with coworkers when on location- that will be tough. But sounds like you are on track. And the apprehension about what everyone else will think about you not drinking is a figment of our imagination. When I was sober six years ago at a high school reunion, it was amazing that nobody noticed or cared that I wasn't drinking.
Hang in there.
Old 10-13-2015, 09:54 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Well done - for staying sober, and for making the most of being sober and exploring the city.

If things get tough you could always hit an AA meeting there, or make use of the speaker recordings online 2 weeks sounds a long time for a business trip.
Old 10-14-2015, 05:18 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Do your best

Congrats MM
Old 10-14-2015, 05:45 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Congratulations!!

I spent most of each month on the road. This is what has helped me.
Get a routine going and stick to it. Get some fruit and snacks for your blood sugar. I enjoy ginger ale and sparkling water. Good to have some non acloholic beverages available. You can do it. Make some plans for you free time to enjoy the local area. Hit up an aa meeting. I like those the best because every metting is a little different and people are welcoming.

Have a nice trip!
Old 10-14-2015, 02:25 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I've been on a few trips sober now and some are fine (those out of country with few co-workers) but the ones that are local when the department is all drinking and joking - that's when I miss it the most.
Old 10-14-2015, 08:15 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Just checking in. Time for bed, today went well. Ate at a Tai restaurant and explored a little. Still sober and loving it. Hope everyone is well and thanks for the support.
Old 10-14-2015, 08:21 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

You're doing great! Keep up the good work.
Old 10-14-2015, 08:23 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Fabulous job!!
Old 10-15-2015, 01:02 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Keep it up, you are doing great!
Old 10-15-2015, 02:17 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Madmartigan View Post
Just checking in. Time for bed, today went well. Ate at a Tai restaurant and explored a little. Still sober and loving it. Hope everyone is well and thanks for the support.
Right on!!!

Keep it up my friend!! You can do it, all the way!

Old 10-15-2015, 06:12 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Well done, I remember drinking on business trips with a free bar, it really was like you had to do as much damage as possible. I used to like seeing the senior managers getting hammered and seeing a different side to them, but I really did not like waking up with a thumping head, not knowing how I was going to make it to the first meeting, necking all the coffee I could get my hands on...

Enjoy the food, my taste buds are enjoying being sober, think I might even look into some cookery classes - thai sounds good : )))

Fab job, well done x
Old 10-15-2015, 06:15 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

We should start a travelers thread. We could upload cool pics and stuff.
Leaving SF now. Sober and i made my early flight. Sucess
Congrats on making it through last night!
Old 10-15-2015, 12:50 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I like it letitgo!!
Old 10-15-2015, 12:59 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I'm packing up so I can go home when I get off of work tomorrow and spend some time with my fiance before I come back here Monday morning. There are definitely some picture worthy things down here. There is a grocery store called wegmans that's almost the size of a mall. It's crazy. 2 stories, 2 story parking garage outside, it's like a whole city block compound. I know, sounds boring, but I was impressed, never saw anything like it before.
Old 10-15-2015, 04:17 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Do your best

That's great Madmartigan