SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Insomnia (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/377235-insomnia.html)

KidsEverywhere 10-11-2015 09:48 PM

Insomnia

12:45am after going the day without drinking and I'm wide awake. I went to bed early, took a Benadryl and melatonin as I usually do, slept less than a hour. Now I'm up. When I drank, I would typically wake up in the middle of the night briefly. But I feel like I could start the day now. I took a few vitimans today and wonder if that is part of it. Oh well, I've heard this is a symptom- not the worst thing and a hell of a lot better than being drunk and headed to a Monday morning hangover.

FeelingGreat 10-11-2015 09:51 PM

Hi KA, I hope your sleep patterns resolve themselves soon. Maybe a herbal tea or some relaxation exercises to slow you down? And of course checking in with SR.

helpimalive 10-11-2015 10:10 PM

The first three or four nights, for me, are/were always largely sleepless. I googled it once, and found an article by a guy who called sleepless nights after a period of alcohol abuse "the writhe," because he (and I did too) would writhe around instead of sleeping. For me, night five and on, I've slept well.

Dee74 10-11-2015 10:13 PM

It will get better, KE, I promise. I usually got better over the course of a week to ten days :)

D

Jsbodhi 10-11-2015 10:15 PM

Originally Posted by helpimalive (Post 5596075)
The first three or four nights, for me, are/were always largely sleepless. I googled it once, and found an article by a guy who called sleepless nights after a period of alcohol abuse "the writhe," because he (and I did too) would writhe around instead of sleeping. For me, night five and on, I've slept well.

This is what happens to me too, its a major reason I stay sober, if I drink, not only will I hate myself, I won't sleep for 3-4 days.
I only realized alcohol was causing my insomnia.
I like that "the writhe"
I also suffer from " the fear" - anxiety and depression after a binge
( 3-4 days)
Good ole' alcohol

sydneyman 10-11-2015 10:30 PM

Exactly the same for me, after 4-5 days I am having good deep sleep with spaced out vivid dreams.. You will get there!!

snoopdoggypug 10-11-2015 10:49 PM

Hi,
I'm up to a week now & it's getting better too, hang in there

sydneyman 10-11-2015 11:01 PM

Snoopy we have the same "birthday"

Soberwolf 10-11-2015 11:17 PM

it does improve

lostgirll 10-11-2015 11:18 PM

Same for me right now. And this is only the day after drinking! And been throwing up all day 😷 I just want it to get better sooner than later.

lostgirll 10-11-2015 11:19 PM

[QUOTE=Jsbodhi;5596078]This is what happens to me too, its a major reason I stay sober, if I drink, not only will I hate myself, I won't sleep for 3-4 days.
I only realized alcohol was causing my insomnia.
I like that "the writhe"
I also suffer from " the fear" - anxiety and depression after a binge
( 3-4 days)
Good ole' alcohol[/QUOTE

Hate the writhe and the fear!

Secretdrinker 10-11-2015 11:43 PM

Wait till you get to about the 2 week mark, all you'll wanna do is sleep!:lmao

From what I can remember, the insomnia went away around the 7 day mark. Hang in there!

lostgirll 10-11-2015 11:50 PM

[QUOTE=Secretdrinker;5596147]Wait till you get to about the 2 week mark, all you'll wanna do is sleep!:lmao

From what I can remember, the insomnia went away around the 7 day mark. Hang in there![/QUOTE

Ughh that seems like forever. Thanks though!

lostgirll 10-11-2015 11:52 PM

Originally Posted by Secretdrinker (Post 5596147)
Wait till you get to about the 2 week mark, all you'll wanna do is sleep!:lmao

From what I can remember, the insomnia went away around the 7 day mark. Hang in there!

And good for you! I'll get there doo. Hopefully

Secretdrinker 10-12-2015 12:00 AM

[QUOTE=lostgirll;5596157]

Originally Posted by Secretdrinker (Post 5596147)
[/QUOTE

Ughh that seems like forever. Thanks though!

I thought that. When I first joined this site a month ago, I'd see the people reaching their first month mark and think 'that seems like a lifetime when I can barely manage 1 night without drink!'....but, and I know you'll have heard this before, it does get easier I promise.
I was counting my sober hours in my signature for the first 3 days lol! Celebrating every hour haha!

KidsEverywhere 10-12-2015 04:54 AM

I must have fallen asleep when everyone was posting to my "I can't sleep" post. LOL. I slept until 630, got up feeling great even though I only got a total of 5 hours or so of sleep. Looking forward to day 2 and a busy day at work to keep my mind off things.
PS- it is really nice to be able to have a smoothie and a power bar for
Breakfast and Even take vitimans without throwing up or feeling like I'm gonna throw up. And since we are all in the same boat and can speak candidly- not having diarrhea is pretty cool too.

Juno11 10-12-2015 05:02 AM

Good luck on Day 2!! I slept like a rock (was pretty harsh having to get up at 6:00 ish...) We can do this one day at a time :)

Hawkeye13 10-12-2015 05:03 AM

[QUOTE=Secretdrinker;5596164]

Originally Posted by lostgirll (Post 5596157)

I thought that. When I first joined this site a month ago, I'd see the people reaching their first month mark and think 'that seems like a lifetime when I can barely manage 1 night without drink!'....but, and I know you'll have heard this before, it does get easier I promise.
I was counting my sober hours in my signature for the first 3 days lol! Celebrating every hour haha!

Hot showers and journaling helped me through the worst part of it.

KidsEverywhere 10-12-2015 05:05 AM

Originally Posted by Juno11 (Post 5596333)
Good luck on Day 2!! I slept like a rock (was pretty harsh having to get up at 6:00 ish...) We can do this one day at a time :)

You got it! Hang in there!!

lostgirll 10-12-2015 07:41 AM

Originally Posted by KidsEverywhere (Post 5596324)
I must have fallen asleep when everyone was posting to my "I can't sleep" post. LOL. I slept until 630, got up feeling great even though I only got a total of 5 hours or so of sleep. Looking forward to day 2 and a busy day at work to keep my mind off things.
PS- it is really nice to be able to have a smoothie and a power bar for
Breakfast and Even take vitimans without throwing up or feeling like I'm gonna throw up. And since we are all in the same boat and can speak candidly- not having diarrhea is pretty cool too.

Agreed! Sooo much healthier way to start the day. I'm not quite there. I got about an hour sleep and still kinda want to throw up. I ate something so that's good since all I drank or arte was water yesterday. Some Alka seltzer. That helps sometimes. Anyway happy day 2!