Notices

Day one

Old 09-06-2004, 04:37 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day one

This is the day I have decided enough is enough. I took my first drink at age 15 and have been drunk about every week since then and I turn 30 next month. I always thought I was in control because I take good care of my family, I do well at work etc etc. But in this last year things just feel different. I feel this need to drink and I don't like it. FOr the last few months I have said every Sunday...okay lay off on the drinking. Let's take a month off...and you know what I have not made it through the week once, let alone a whole month. So that's why I'm here. Now I will take it one day at a time and I know I need help and support. I hope to find that here. So here's to Day One. Thanks for listening :smile:
Old 09-06-2004, 04:56 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Kit

Way to go Liv! I'll keep you in my positive thoughts ring (prayers). It might help if you assess all the positive things at the end of each sober day. Whether it's not having a hangover or enjoying your family more. That really helps me. :rose
Love, Kit
Old 09-06-2004, 05:01 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
We all need each other.

Red face

Hello livlaphluv--Welcome to SR!!! (I love your name, BTW) You will find lots of great support here. Hang in there and congratulations on day 1!

Hugs--
Old 09-06-2004, 05:10 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi Liv, Welcome to SR. I'm Deg, nice to meet you - I have the same history with drink as yourself. I don't think I went more than a handful of days without drink between about 15 years old and 37 years old. Scary when I think about it.
Good for you. Naturally we're all behind you and you'll get loads of support here if you keep posting and get to know folk. What are your plans for quitting?

Deg.
Old 09-06-2004, 05:54 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi Liv and welcome,

I am new here too and almost through day 2. I too have been a "functioning alcoholic" for some time, (good job, nice family) but I knew that this day has been coming for a long time. I grew up in a family that was totally disfunctional, and I seemed to have learned well. This site has been very helpful to me as I search for my next step in this journey. Congrats on day 1!