Notices

Funny things in day 1

Old 10-11-2015, 05:41 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Funny things in day 1

As I mentioned this morning, I made it six days and then drank last night. Determined to get back on the sobriety horse, I packed the day with activities: church, watching the game, go look at cars. Went to church, picked up rent from a tenant, watched the Falcons win an exciting game. My wife is headed out of town on business tonight, we looked at cars and she suggested we pick up dinner before she headed to the airport. There was a 30 minute wait before I could say anything, wife tells the hostess: "we'll just eat at the bar" uh oh. I told her I wasn't drinking because I have to drive- she doesn't drink much- so that wasn't a problem for her. We sat in the bar area drinking water and having a great meal. On my way home, i got off the interstate and guess what: DUI roadblock! Nice to go through one of those clean as a whistle. Normally, we might have split a bottle of wine with dinner- not sure if that would have been trouble- but if that roadblock wasn't a sign from above and motivation to stay sober- I don't know what is. Im sitting here with the dog in the bed watching the ball game drinking green tea and looking forward to feeling good in the morning.
Old 10-11-2015, 06:00 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I've passed through a couple checkpoints too, it's always nice to sail through sober
Old 10-11-2015, 06:07 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Nicely done, KidsEverywhere! We made it through Day 1. We're not going to regret this in the morning!!!
Old 10-11-2015, 06:17 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Oh right you both are on day 1!!! Yay!
I'm in oct class too, I have yet to make it 30 days since last nov, so I'm right along with you xo
Old 10-11-2015, 06:18 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Juno11 View Post
Nicely done, KidsEverywhere! We made it through Day 1. We're not going to regret this in the morning!!!
You got that right. I've been reading up on vitamins and found milk thistle is good for your liver. Prior to last week when I was still drinking every night, I was noticing some dull soreness and almost like a fullness on my right side below my rib cage. I am sure it was my liver. That has gone away now and I want to start concentrating on eating better and taking some vitimans that likely I've been short on. I have a physical coming up in December. Day one down (and it wasn't so bad). Tomorrow is work which makes the day easier.
Old 10-11-2015, 06:19 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Jsbodhi - a few of us from September moved over to October. I'm glad we all get another chance at this. This is going to be our month!
Old 10-11-2015, 06:27 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by KidsEverywhere View Post
You got that right. I've been reading up on vitamins and found milk thistle is good for your liver. Prior to last week when I was still drinking every night, I was noticing some dull soreness and almost like a fullness on my right side below my rib cage. I am sure it was my liver. That has gone away now and I want to start concentrating on eating better and taking some vitimans that likely I've been short on. I have a physical coming up in December. Day one down (and it wasn't so bad). Tomorrow is work which makes the day easier.
I've been taking vitamins, eating well and focusing on being healthier as well- not just abstaining from alcohol.
My hands were going numb the day after a wine binge, I read something alcohol neuropathy, that freaked me out big time.
Scary when things start to show up
Old 10-11-2015, 06:37 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Jsbodhi View Post
I've been taking vitamins, eating well and focusing on being healthier as well- not just abstaining from alcohol.
My hands were going numb the day after a wine binge, I read something alcohol neuropathy, that freaked me out big time.
Scary when things start to show up
That (health concerns) was really the biggest motivator for me. I'm 44 and otherwise in good shape. But I know there is no way you can drink everyday for years and it not come back to haunt you if nothing more than your health. Let alone the social, family, etc issues. Fortunately, my family situation has been good- mostly because I hid most of my drinking from my wife. But I was getting nothing out of drinking. It makes no sense to continue. I don't want my health and life go to hell before I made the decision to quit- and as anyone will tell you, if you keep it up, it always just gets progressively worse.
I've been pushing my luck too long.
Old 10-11-2015, 06:41 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I'm 32 and a wine binge drinker, it doesn't even need to be an everday thing for bad things to happen.
I'm not married, my business is fine and I'm in school, no DUI etc, so it appears fine on the outside, but like you I was hiding my wine binges, all alone at home.

It was getting ridiculous and things were slowly starting to show up, qhen I evaluated things, I realized alcohol was ruining my relationships, the hangovers were brutal, I was sitting at home alone drinking- what kind of life is that?
It all just creeps up on you so fast without you even realizing it.
Old 10-11-2015, 07:13 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I would say that is a sign. Glad you hung in there and didn't drink.
Old 10-11-2015, 11:27 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Do your best

Old 10-12-2015, 08:35 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Very positive post KidsEverywhere!! You can do this!!
Old 10-12-2015, 09:00 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Day one, again. Glad to be back.
Old 10-12-2015, 03:05 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

Good to have you back KE - you too Juno

D