SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Very frustrated (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/377174-very-frustrated.html)

Madmartigan 10-10-2015 05:58 PM

Very frustrated

So my fiance has some health issues. Nothing life threatening but very painful. The she is on gabapentin for the pain. She needs to take it so it's not an option. She stopped for awhile and her doctor basically said there are no other options and she needs to take it. That being said, it makes her extremely irrational, sensitive, irritable etc ... she has a very different perpersonality when she's on it. Needless to say it's very taxing. I try to be as patient and compromising as possible, but that is a finite stance. I know it doesn't do any good to argue with her but it's hard not to stand your ground in situations like that. Makes me want to drink. Grrrrr

least 10-10-2015 06:14 PM

You have to want to be sober more than you want to drink. :)

Dee74 10-10-2015 06:26 PM

Hi MM

It's not clear to me if your partner wants to be on Gabapentin or if she feels she's all those things you mention?

what does she think?

D

ps and don't drink - it won't solve anything and will very likely make things worse.

D

Madmartigan 10-10-2015 06:43 PM

She doesn't want to be on it but it's very difficult for her to function without it. Yes, she knows it messes with her head, however, she only realizes it when it's not messing with her head if that makes sense. I don't point it out either as it will just make the situation worse. It would create a situation similar to pointing out that she was being irrational because of a menstrual cycle. Wouldn't be wise on my part.

Dee74 10-10-2015 06:51 PM

OK. Not sure what else to suggest if talking to her about you feel isn't an option.
I hope things will settle down when the meds bed in a little more.

D

PurpleKnight 10-11-2015 07:44 AM

Drinking isn't going to solve anything either way, having a clear mind to get through is would be a better way forward!!

Hang in there!! :)

Soberwolf 10-11-2015 09:23 AM

Hang in there stick close to SR

Anna 10-11-2015 11:12 AM

Hopefully this pain that she is dealing with will clear up and she can get off the medication. Do you have hope that she can stop taking it before too long?

Irnldy001 10-11-2015 11:51 AM

I took gabapentin for two years to control sciatic nerve pain. I was not an alcoholic at that time. In truth, it never caused those side effects in me at all. I just asked my husband and he said 'no, never, you acted the same as always'. So I am just wondering if another trip to the doctor is in order to see if there is another drug that will work on her pain but maybe she is having a rare side effect and needs to switch. I know there are a few others on the market. Gabapentin is mainly intended to control seizures, but has an off label history of controlling nerve pain. Perhaps this is just not the one for her.
Good luck!