Notices

Hey guys

Old 10-10-2015, 10:28 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hey guys

Just checking in, I hope everyone is ok

I am in a predicament at home, had a huge bust up with my girlfriend today and her mum got involved. It ended up in them screaming at me. It started over something small but that was all it really needed which suggests to me that it's been brewing for a while. I'm pretty unhappy at home with my girlfriend. I have expressed this but neither of us want to leave the house. I am welcome at my mum and dads but I'm 31, a homeowner and value independence. There are many many issues between me and her, I used to think if I stopped drinking, things would get better. They've been worse than ever.

She does herbalife (not sure if anyone has heard of it) and wants to "build a business" from it. I keep saying that it will be very hard to do this and you really need proper marketing skills. She's totally shutting my advice out and determined to look at quitting her current job to sell herbalife products. She says I'm bringing her down and should support her. I feel that trying to discourage her from this pyramid scheme IS supporting her though.

There were a lot of nasty things said, she is very provocative in her actions and language and unfortunately I stupidly take the bait and look like the bad guy.

Alarm bells are ringing in my head though and I really feel I need to get out of the relationship and be on my own for a good while. I feel like I have some self development to do, a lot of relationships I've had have turned sour, perhaps I'm the common denominator. It is difficult with my daughter coming from a previous relationship and I put a lot of energy into her almost over the top because I'm trying to compensate for no longer being at her home. At the moment I have to put my daughter absolutely without question top priority and if that means being on my own so I can focus better, I'll have to do that.

My girlfriend wants to get married, have children etc. That is far far away from where my thinking is at the moment because of what is going on between us. I have explained this to her.

Anyone weighing in with advice is appreciated, I do have a lot to be grateful to my girlfriend for- the times when I used to drink night after night for years she did not bail on me then. But I hate what we've become.

Also tonight it is a friends birthday, it is a night on the town type situation. I'm going and it's most likely people will be drinking. I just want to document it. I'm going in confident but very VERY wary of the situation and that I will need to pre plan an exit strategy if required. I'm nearly a year now, I've dragged myself kicking and screaming through and if there is one thing I'll take from 2015 it's sobriety. Sober muscles workout time.
Old 10-10-2015, 10:36 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

It's hard to offer advice, when you seem like you're pretty much on the ball. -thinking before acting. Planning. Although I'm sorry about your rough spot, it appears you have your head on straight.

Hang in there. Reach out if it gets slippery.
Old 10-10-2015, 10:49 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi, Stewy. I agree with Leviathan--you sound like you are on the ball and that sobriety has brought along some clarity about the relationship.

Just to share my experience, I had a similar situation with a partner many years ago (he wanted to go to graduate school, and wanted me to support him, financially and otherwise). The problem was that at this point our relationship was pretty frayed, and I knew in my inner heart that the relationship wasn't right. Listen to that voice. And see that reaction (screaming) for what it is--a huge red flag. In respectful relationships, a calm discussion should be able to ensue when we share that something isn't going to work for us. But boundary pushers just react in the way that your gf (and mom?) reacted. One thing I try to remind myself is that sometimes someone else's displeasure at my decisions is a sign I'm doing the right thing for me--that is, that we cannot always please everyone around us and be true to our desires and needs.
Old 10-10-2015, 11:14 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Can't really offer any advice, except to say you're on the ball with the Herbalife thing. There's a 99.5% chance in a year or two from now, she'll walk away from it disappointed. Unless you're am amazing marketer, you're probably not going to make anything.
Old 10-10-2015, 11:18 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

I don't think you need advice. You have it pretty square. Do what you need.

BTW, your strength is amazing.
Old 10-10-2015, 11:56 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Stewy, it sounds like you know things will be better for you if you're on your own for awhile. And, good for you for making your daughter a major priority in your life.
Old 10-10-2015, 02:25 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Do your best

Stewy I agree with Anna but because of everything going on in your heart & head tonight id advise against going out with the lads if thier going to be drinking I know you have thought this through but its where you say you want to document it & having to pre plan an exit strategy in case etc

I say save yourself the bother not unless your 5010% sure you know youl be ok

Sorry I'm trying to be a good friend bud if you do go you have SR on your phone & were here 24/7
Old 10-10-2015, 06:44 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Great advice here Stewy I can't add to it.
I wish you well with whatever you decide domestically.

As for the lads night out...gotta be honest it's not something I'd do at your point of recovery, especially when I was angry with my gf...but I trust your escape plan is a good one

D
Old 10-11-2015, 05:58 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thank you ALL for your encouragement and support.

I ended up going on the night out. I did not drink any alcohol but got acquainted with fizzy water which is a more than adequate beverage. That sort of atmosphere is very drab in itself once the booze is taken away. I enjoyed spending time with my friends.

Today I'm hanging in there with my girlfriend, we've had a talk about stuff and aired some grievances. I'll keep close to SR at this time. You never know when the temptation arises to make a daft alcohol related decision.

I've been doing well on my junk food challenge and cut out coke and crisps. I've lost 8lb in a month.

Hope everyone is ok

Stewy
Old 10-11-2015, 08:19 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Great to hear you made it through Stewy!!
Old 10-11-2015, 09:22 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Do your best

Good job Stewy & great job on the weight loss !! my brother visited me today he's been a critic in the past saying I need to lose weight well with all the exercise Ive lost a few pounds & he gained a few I didn't say but it was nice when he mentioned it : )

Good idea sticking close to SR bud in this together