Notices

day 4 and this sucks

Old 10-09-2015, 11:33 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

day 4 and this sucks

Hi everyone, I have quit alcohol 4 days ago. Prior to the quit I was having roughly 4-6 a night.. .It didn't really ruin my family or my relationship . I feel like quitting is ruining these things for me. I have been so irritable , depressed...reclusing myself into my bedroom . I have found that my tolerance for mild annoyances has dwindled to damn near no patience .
Day 1- all I had was insomnia and cravings
Day 2- insomnia craving anxiety and depression .
Day 3- insomnia craving, anxiety , depression. Second guessing my life and my happiness.
Day 4 (Today ) insomnia craving big time Friday night, anxiety, depression and again feeling as if I am not happy with my life .

Why do I feel so ****** when I hear how great everyone feels after quitting? I don't feel good about it at all...idk .. I know that if I was drinking 4 beers it never led to more.. ..I just love the relaxing feeling and stress relief that comes with the 4 beers a night.
I feel absolutely miserable (mentally )
Old 10-10-2015, 12:00 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

It does suck early on...no lie. And there are a lot of people that have extreme irritability as well.

Day 4 is an incredible accomplishment, but it is also such a short amount of time to make a determination on whether or not sobriety is worth it. And it is, it really, really is.

Have you spoken with your spouse? We're they aware that you had problematic drinking? The best thing I think would be opening that line of communication so things will not deteriorate.

Four days...the longest four days ever...but you are so close to being over this part. The acute alcohol withdrawal where you do physically and mentally just feel like a pile of manure, you've almost conquered that hurdle.

Also have you spoken with your doctor? He/she will be able to advise you and point you in the direction of things that will help as you make this transition into recovery.

Don't base your recovery on that of others, base it on you and where you want your future to lead - and get it ready and make it happen.

The awful feeling will pass and when it does you will feel amazing also, can't wait to see you check in on day 5
Old 10-10-2015, 12:04 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi FreeSpirit

you had a number of identical threads so I consolidated them down to this one.
It's a little slow right now but you will find support & responses on this forum

I didn't feel great after quitting at all. I didn't feel great for a month or more.
The more years we drink, the more we're at risk of experiencing harsher and harsher withdrawals, regardless of how little we feel we might drink.

It's called alcoholic kindling.
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...lly-again.html

The good news is you won't feel this bad for ever - I hope the next few days will see a marked improvement for you

D
Old 10-10-2015, 12:20 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

H Freespirit. Glad you're back giving it another go. Did you speak to your doctor about those health worries or did they sort themselves out?

Just try to remember, that day 4, while being a fantastic achievement, is also very early, and of course you will be feeling raw. Alcoholics are notoriously irritable and discontent, and that's half the lure of the booze - because it offers temporary relief from those feelings.
Do you believe yourself to be an alcoholic?
And if not, why do you think that sobriety has been so elusive for you?

I think that finding new (or remember old) relaxation methods and stress relief might be helpful. It's hard to give ideas for this, because what one person finds relaxing doesn't always do it for someone else. Anna had a great thread on here the other day re mindfulness though, and that can really help. I'll see f I ca find it and put a link on...
...here http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ty-attack.html

But then, one of the things that kept me stuck in the cycle wasn't so much that I needed relief from stress, but that I had a skewed (as I now know - alcoholic) perspective of life, and my place in it. How I fitted in (or didn't). And my role in it (firmly centre-stage was my thinking!). That skewed perspective (of MINE) threw up countless stress-inducing thoughts a day. And they were completely un-neccessary. The relief that I have found through recovery has been to do with learning to recognising those thoughts, and instead of grabbing them because they're 'mine', making the decision to less that bait float by.

Things will get better over time as the obsession for drink fades, but the obsession never fades if you feed it, (even if only 4 beers a night) so please don't pick up that first drink. That would just feed the obsession and drag out your pain.

Hoping you find some stress-busting relaxation in your weekend and feel better soon.
Old 10-10-2015, 12:23 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Hi FreeSpirit

you had a number of identical threads so I consolidated them down to this one.
It's a little slow right now but you will find support & responses on this forum

I didn't feel great after quitting at all. I didn't feel great for a month or more.
The more years we drink, the more we're at risk of experiencing harsher and harsher withdrawals, regardless of how little we feel we might drink.

It's called alcoholic kindling.
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...lly-again.html

The good news is you won't feel this bad for ever - I hope the next few days will see a marked improvement for you

D
Hi, thank you for the information . I sure hope it doesn't last long and I start to see benefits from my choice to quit.
Old 10-10-2015, 12:24 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

I hope so too freespirit - hang in there
Old 10-10-2015, 12:31 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Beccybean View Post
H Freespirit. Glad you're back giving it another go. Did you speak to your doctor about those health worries or did they sort themselves out?

Just try to remember, that day 4, while being a fantastic achievement, is also very early, and of course you will be feeling raw. Alcoholics are notoriously irritable and discontent, and that's half the lure of the booze - because it offers temporary relief from those feelings.
Do you believe yourself to be an alcoholic?
And if not, why do you think that sobriety has been so elusive for you?

I think that finding new (or remember old) relaxation methods and stress relief might be helpful. It's hard to give ideas for this, because what one person finds relaxing doesn't always do it for someone else. Anna had a great thread on here the other day re mindfulness though, and that can really help. I'll see f I ca find it and put a link on...
...here http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ty-attack.html

But then, one of the things that kept me stuck in the cycle wasn't so much that I needed relief from stress, but that I had a skewed (as I now know - alcoholic) perspective of life, and my place in it. How I fitted in (or didn't). And my role in it (firmly centre-stage was my thinking!). That skewed perspective (of MINE) threw up countless stress-inducing thoughts a day. And they were completely un-neccessary. The relief that I have found through recovery has been to do with learning to recognising those thoughts, and instead of grabbing them because they're 'mine', making the decision to less that bait float by.

Things will get better over time as the obsession for drink fades, but the obsession never fades if you feed it, (even if only 4 beers a night) so please don't pick up that first drink. That would just feed the obsession and drag out your pain.

Hoping you find some stress-busting relaxation in your weekend and feel better soon.
Thank you, my health related problems have worked themselves out. I no longer fear a problem with my liver. In fact I believe that the problems I was having was in my head with a very huge fear of liver problems. (My mom's liver is in bad shape ) anyway .. I don't know if I consider myself an alcoholic or not. When I set a limit I can stick to it. Now I was drinking nightly to unwind...I am not so certain that the alcohol abstinence is the cause of my moodiness as I only drank at night or if it really is coming from the fact that I haven't been drinking at night. I'm so overwhelmed because I now can't think rational . Idk I feel like a mess. I just hope it goes away soon and I start seeing a positive effect on my life from deciding to quit. So far I haven't .. Yes it's only been 4 days but I've read of people noticing improved life almost immediately. . .I'm just confused and my brain feels foggy.
Old 10-10-2015, 12:42 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Kallistia View Post
It does suck early on...no lie. And there are a lot of people that have extreme irritability as well.

Day 4 is an incredible accomplishment, but it is also such a short amount of time to make a determination on whether or not sobriety is worth it. And it is, it really, really is.

Have you spoken with your spouse? We're they aware that you had problematic drinking? The best thing I think would be opening that line of communication so things will not deteriorate.

Four days...the longest four days ever...but you are so close to being over this part. The acute alcohol withdrawal where you do physically and mentally just feel like a pile of manure, you've almost conquered that hurdle.

Also have you spoken with your doctor? He/she will be able to advise you and point you in the direction of things that will help as you make this transition into recovery.

Don't base your recovery on that of others, base it on you and where you want your future to lead - and get it ready and make it happen.

The awful feeling will pass and when it does you will feel amazing also, can't wait to see you check in on day 5
Thank you very much! I talked to him today about how I really just wanted a beer and he said, the liquor store is still open... I was like. No, I can't do that and why would he condone me going back to alcohol in the first place is beyond me. I feel like I am my only support team. I don't know If I am a problem drinker.. .All I do is stay at home and drink beer at night . About 4-6 beers a night.. .I don't leave it didn't affect my ability to function and it didn't cause problems in my life . I just was terrified of dying of cirrhosis like my mom more then likely is so I decided to quit. Its not fun at all....I'm not even sure if what I'm going through is actual withdrawal . .Heck .. Idk I'm just a body that's here without a mind at this point. Thanks for your response.

Oh and no doctor for me...last time I went she didn't take me serious I felt and I already have a terrible credit score from doctor bills sent to collections... Trying to avoid them at all costs unless emergency.
Old 10-10-2015, 12:43 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Yes - that horrible brain fog. I called it 'washing machine head'. It's nasty.

And if it helps - which it might not - Personally, I certainly didn't feel better immediately. But now I can happily report that my life is at least 100% better.
Old 10-10-2015, 12:44 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by freespirit1986 View Post
Hi, thank you for the information . I sure hope it doesn't last long and I start to see benefits from my choice to quit.
I accidently posted twice in here was trying to post in alcoholism room.
Old 10-10-2015, 12:45 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Yes - that horrible brain fog. I called it 'washing machine head'. It's nasty.

And if it helps - which it might not - Personally, I certainly didn't feel better immediately. But now I can happily report that my life is at least 100% better.
How long did it take before you felt better ?
Old 10-10-2015, 12:50 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
I hope so too freespirit - hang in there
Thanks! I will!
Old 10-10-2015, 12:55 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

... I talked to him today about how I really just wanted a beer and he said, the liquor store is still open... I was like. No, I can't do that and why would he condone me going back to alcohol in the first place is beyond me. I feel like I am my only support team. ..
It can seem a little tough when we want our partners / family to support us in this and they don't. My partners response was fairly similar, but then I was being particularly self-pitying and stroppy about it all, and I don't think he really could understand what I was going though, no matter how much he wanted to.

If you want support, there will be some out there for you. You need to look for it. That may seem harsh, but it's the only way of accessing help. In my area there is both SMART and AA, and also some smaller groups. I chose AA because there are more meeting to choose from, and my now deceased Step-Dad was AA (and so the religious stuff that others are put off by didn't worry me as I knew it worked for him and he wasn't 'religious').I suppose AA felt less threatening to me because of his positive experiences for many years. Plus I noticed that there were a few women-only meetings which I found encouraging. The support, encouragement and wisdom that I've found through AA has been amazing. It might be worth looking into. Feeling isolated makes sobriety, and working on recovery, so much harder.
Old 10-10-2015, 01:05 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

How long did it take before you felt better ?
I got to about a month and thought I was going a bit mad. That's when I realised I needed some support and went to AA. I immediately found some relief, just by meeting others who understood what I was going through, who could talk calmly to me despite my edginess and angst, who smile at me even though I couldn't smile at them first, who could talk to me with kindness even though I'd become spiky and raw and wasn't capable of being kind myself. They were patient and explained what they'd done to get better themselves. Some of it sounded a bit mad. And some of it sounded too simple to make any difference. But I started to get a bit of hope from the fact that they'd got better, and maybe I could get some of what they'd got, and got willing to follow their advice and try things their way. And those things made me feel stronger and more positive. And that's when I started to get a bit better.
Old 10-10-2015, 01:07 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
dcg
D♭7♭9♯9♯11♭13

From my experience, and many others from reading this forum the last month or so, you can stop now at 4-6 beers or wait until you're in your late 40's or 50's when 4-6 ounces of vodka simply gets you ready to start drinking for the day or night. I think the key to staying clean is to find something you like more than booze. Good luck.
Old 10-10-2015, 01:12 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I got to about a month and thought I was going a bit mad. That's when I realised I needed some support and went to AA. I immediately found some relief, just by meeting others who understood what I was going through, who could talk calmly to me despite my edginess and angst, who smile at me even though I couldn't smile at them first, who could talk to me with kindness even though I'd become spiky and raw and wasn't capable of being kind myself. They were patient and explained what they'd done to get better themselves. Some of it sounded a bit mad. And some of it sounded too simple to make any difference. But I started to get a bit of hope from the fact that they'd got better, and maybe I could get some of what they'd got, and got willing to follow their advice and try things their way. And those things made me feel stronger and more positive. And that's when I started to get a bit better.
I see... I don't know If I want to so that yet though . I'm glad it worked for you. I may try it in the near future .
Old 10-10-2015, 01:15 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by dcg View Post
From my experience, and many others from reading this forum the last month or so, you can stop now at 4-6 beers or wait until you're in your late 40's or 50's when 4-6 ounces of vodka simply gets you ready to start drinking for the day or night. I think the key to staying clean is to find something you like more than booze. Good luck.
I understand, but I've been drinking for 8 years...I used to drink 10-15 beers a day...then eventually cut back to 4-6. I decided to quit because I do know how fast 4-6 can lead back to 15 a day. Thanks
Old 10-10-2015, 01:33 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
dcg
D♭7♭9♯9♯11♭13

I understand, but I've been drinking for 8 years...
Right, quitting now after 8 years is far better than after 30 years, which should be incentive enough to get you through whatever psychological dependence you are currently experiencing.
Old 10-10-2015, 01:40 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I see... I don't know If I want to so that yet though . I'm glad it worked for you. I may try it in the near future .
No, well. We all have to do it our own way don't we. That's why I said to find out what's available in your area. AA isn't the only way. And there will be others on here who can tell you their experiences of trying the other things that are available to you.

This thread is always a good one for reference as well... http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...at-we-did.html

I think that it might help to just accept that your other half isn't necessarily refusing you something that he's capable of giving you when he doesn't support you to stay sober in the way you'd like. I can only offer you MY experiences. He can only offer HIS. (Which are probably non-existent). He's not keeping it from you. He hasn't got it to give you no matter how much he want to. If you know how he could act that would help you, then only you can share that with him and give him a chance to learn that new way of doing stuff.
The reason I'm saying this is that your post reminded me of how much emotional energy I wasted in that first month, being angry and resentful that I was all alone, and nobody was helping me or could be bothered to stay sober with me, etc. etc. My OH was probably just running for cover in an act of self-preservation from my self-pity and resentment lol. A lot of the ladies I'm friends with at AA related to all that when I mentioned this to them once, and many of them remembered thinking and doing the exact same things. I'm not saying you are being this way - just pointing out where those kind of thoughts can lead us if we don't make the decision not to entertain those thoughts (which our Alcoholic Voices are very good at popping into our heads).

Take care.
Old 10-10-2015, 02:18 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

FS
You are in a difficult period right now. It took me about a month before I really began to feel good. Then after that I was surprised that each week got better and better. I couldn't believe how great I felt.
BTW, what dcg said is absolutely true. Hang in there. It's really worth it.