Notices

Can't Stay Sober

Old 10-09-2015, 09:11 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Can't Stay Sober

Hi all,

Well I made it 8 days but that was it. How does everyone else do it? I am finding it impossible to stay sober. I feel so pathetic, this is awful.
Old 10-09-2015, 09:23 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hey PeaceLove. What's your plan for not drinking? It starts with: Don't drink. Ever. Then you need to commit to doing things differently each day in support of that goal. For example, what type of support are you using (SR, AA, therapy....). Exercise? Mediation? How will you handle cravings and triggers? What will you say and do when you find yourself in social settings with booze around? Who are your friends? And are they really friends, or drinking buddies?
Old 10-09-2015, 09:27 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by PeaceLove777 View Post
Hi all,

Well I made it 8 days but that was it. How does everyone else do it? I am finding it impossible to stay sober. I feel so pathetic, this is awful.
If you are an alcoholic, you have to do more than just trying to put the bottle down. Have to treat the alcoholism that causes you to drink. The only thing I know of that works long term are the steps and fellowship of AA. Have to address the underlying condition that causes you to drink or you will drink again and likely be miserable or wanting to drink while not drinking.
Old 10-09-2015, 09:30 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I guess I don't really have a plan-- I lost my job and have a lot of time on my hands. My biggest trigger is loneliness and unfortunately, I am always alone. I don't have friends outside of drinking-- I was able to stay sober for 8 days but time passes so slowly and eventually I give in. I should go to an AA meeting today..
Old 10-09-2015, 09:31 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Day 9 was my worst day, by far. I really wanted a drink on Day 9 - just about the same place you were at when you drank. I was going to AA meetings, so I called one of the women and she talked me down.

What were the circumstances of that drink you took at Day 8? Was there some situation that made you angry or afraid? Did you just give in to wanting to feel nothing? The first couple weeks are pretty intensely uncomfortable. I just kept telling myself to not pick up a drink, no matter what. I got through it. You can too.
Old 10-09-2015, 09:33 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Okay, just read your last post. Meetings are good for the lonely.

I'm alone too. I still don't drink. It gets better, the sad feelings go away and you'll find people and a job. It will get so much worse if you continue to drink with all this time on your hands. That was what I did, too.

Get busy! Clean the house, take a walk, watch your favorite movies. Pick up an exercise plan. Volunteer, whatever it takes, get out of the house and out of your head. Go to a mall and walk around. Bring flowers to a nursing home resident.

Don't drink. Not an option.
Old 10-09-2015, 09:35 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I can only make it 7 it's the hardest thing I have ever tried to stop..
Old 10-09-2015, 09:54 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hi On the Road, Roxy & Blue, thanks for your replies. I am going to get out of my head and develop a plan. So for today, I will clean up my apartment, eat some good food, go to the gym and attend an AA meeting. But for now, I am going to stay on this site and read.
Neo New, this is the hardest thing Ive ever had to do too. I even went to rehab for two months and picked up a drink within minutes of leaving. Sigh.
Old 10-09-2015, 09:57 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I hope you stop peace and hope I do also...I wish you well..
Old 10-09-2015, 09:59 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Now that sounds like a great start. The best thing about your plan is that you can add/update/change it as you go. Be kind to yourself as you sober up. Keep reading here - you'll learn many things that can help you. Wishing you the best in recovery!
Old 10-09-2015, 10:03 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

Peace, Love, my suggestion is to get out into your community and volunteer. That's what saved me in the early days. Do something for other people, get out of your own head, and, it might turn into a paying job or at least you can get great references.
Old 10-09-2015, 11:22 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Getting some daily support into the equation was what worked for me, something to keep me focused on the task at hand.

Your last post was 3 days ago, so are you using face to face meetings, or simply trying to do it on your own willpower?

Join an SR class, login daily, and keep pushing through!!
Old 10-09-2015, 11:51 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I haven't made it to any meetings yet. Im too hungover at the moment, I posted 3 days ago because I have been on a bender since then. I feel so horrible the only thing I can think of is to have more. Am I insane? I can't do this anymore. I have the worst anxiety this morning and feel like crap..
Old 10-09-2015, 12:07 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

That's my point, daily support makes all the difference.

Pour all alcohol out, no more today, then first thing tomorrow login and read some SR threads, tomorrow evening do the same and continue doing that each and every day, post as much as you need and utilise the support SR can give!!
Old 10-09-2015, 12:48 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Do your best

It's acceptance that keeps us sober no one gets sober on thier first attempt but the point is knowing what happens when you or me drinks its going to end up in misery
with us both landing our arses scratching our heads like why does this keep happening

it happens if we choose to drink accepting that fact keeps me sober & will for you as well

Take alcohol off the menu no matter what no drinking no one has a gun at our heads we can choose not to drink

Stick with us go to meetings read up on recovery interact & become a part of the community

Know your not alone I've been sober near 27 months & it saves my life daily

You can do this by building a plan which youl find in these links

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ful-links.html
Old 10-09-2015, 06:06 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Peacelove,

I knew when I was 25 years old I was way in over my head and I knew I had to quit but it took me until I was 36 to accomplish that goal.

I know a lot of people say do it for yourself but I found motivation in my children. I would cry over their cribs at night praying to find the strength one day to quit for good and finally I did.

So my advice is find motivation somewhere, anywhere you can. Friends, family, AA, a book, whatever you can grab onto and hold onto.

I know you can do it because I did and there were a lot of people that doubted that, including myself.