Notices

Business travel on Day 3

Old 10-08-2015, 08:06 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Business travel on Day 3

I'm getting on a plane tomorrow morning to travel for three nights. And it will be Day 3. I've got a plan and have set up my schedule to avoid all happy hour or dinner meetings. Luckily, I'll be staying with a business associate who is supportive of my decision to quit.

I have a feeling I'll be spending as much time as possible on these boards to keep myself surrounded by support. And I think Starbucks pumkin spice lattes may help.
Old 10-08-2015, 08:10 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Maybe this will help
Starbucks Secret Menu | #HackTheMenu
Old 10-08-2015, 08:14 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Been there before! When I quit back in 2013, I had to go to Las Vegas for a business conference and it was day 3 for me as well. I took my Grandma with me for support and that was a very good decision. It's great you have a business associate with you who knows your commitment to sobriety. Use that and all of us and I know you can do it!
Old 10-08-2015, 08:17 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ZeldaFan View Post
Been there before! When I quit back in 2013, I had to go to Las Vegas for a business conference and it was day 3 for me as well. I took my Grandma with me for support and that was a very good decision. It's great you have a business associate with you who knows your commitment to sobriety. Use that and all of us and I know you can do it!
So you can relate!! Yep, I'm heading to Vegas also. Luckily not staying near the strip though. I've finally realized the only way I can do this is to build a supportive net around me.
Old 10-08-2015, 08:20 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

[QUOTE=Ohme;5592039]Maybe this will help

Awesome!! I figure if I was guzzling 600-800 of empty calories per DAY in alcohol I can have one of those a couple of times a week. Thanks!
Old 10-08-2015, 08:30 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Isn't it wonderful getting all of those calories back to actually use for food? That was the one good things about being in Vegas super early in recovery. No shortage of food to keep me busy!
Old 10-08-2015, 08:40 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Adventurer

Business travel is always hard, good luck and keep the SR app installed on your phone. I drank sleepy time tea every night when I was on business this summer. Kept me from letting my mind wonder too much at night and just fall asleep.
Old 10-09-2015, 02:43 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I did a few weeks of travel during Aug/Sept and it can be tough, even without not craving alcohol.

Keeping active is important, arriving at airports and going for that Starbucks coffee, after I'd finish for the day rather than going back to an empty hotel room I'd go out for a walk and explore, walk round all the shopping centres.

Beforehand I'd figure out if there was anything on in town, cinema listings, any musicians doing any gigs, any sporting events on, and plan my evenings.

You can do this DaisyBee!!
Old 10-09-2015, 03:44 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I have survived three trips to Vegas for 10 days on business junkets that were booze-fueled extravaganzas where I used to spend the entire time blind drunk - but did so sober.

I have traveled to Europe, Asia, Australia, all over the US and gone on business in sobriety to dinners and bars and martini lunches - sober.

You can do this.

One key asset I take with me is a firm, pre-determined alternative drink. For me it's Pellegrino sparkling water. If the place I'm at doesn't have Pellegrino I'll ask for whatever their best bottled sparkling water is, with a lemon or a lime twist. Sometimes I'll go for both just to get wild.

For me, going into every situation with the pre-determined resolve that I won't be drinking and the automatic, ready-to-go response to "what'll you have to drink" are essential success factors.

The other thing I have ready, rehearsed and rarin' to go is my response to any questions or pressure about drinking. It seldom actually happens but when it does - I find that having an almost-automated response ready just defuses the whole situation. In professional settings I usually use some variation of "I just find that alcohol isn't compatible with how I choose to live" or simply "I don't drink alcohol, it's not for me".

Nobody has ever pushed me further after that. A few times, I've had colleagues come to me 1:1 and ask "so... what's the deal with you not drinking...." with sincere interest. Those people have turned out to be people who themselves have wanted to quit or wished they could be like me and just drink water in a business setting, and I have shared more openly with them individually. But for the most part, I keep it honest, simple, but characterized simply as my choice. After all, that's what it is.

You can totally do this and each small victory of a business dinner, a sober flight, a few hours in an airport NOT spent in the bar - will give you momentum and confidence for the next.

You've got this.

Old 10-09-2015, 04:11 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FreeOwl View Post
I have survived three trips to Vegas for 10 days on business junkets that were booze-fueled extravaganzas where I used to spend the entire time blind drunk - but did so sober.

I have traveled to Europe, Asia, Australia, all over the US and gone on business in sobriety to dinners and bars and martini lunches - sober.

You can do this.

One key asset I take with me is a firm, pre-determined alternative drink. For me it's Pellegrino sparkling water. If the place I'm at doesn't have Pellegrino I'll ask for whatever their best bottled sparkling water is, with a lemon or a lime twist. Sometimes I'll go for both just to get wild.

For me, going into every situation with the pre-determined resolve that I won't be drinking and the automatic, ready-to-go response to "what'll you have to drink" are essential success factors.

The other thing I have ready, rehearsed and rarin' to go is my response to any questions or pressure about drinking. It seldom actually happens but when it does - I find that having an almost-automated response ready just defuses the whole situation. In professional settings I usually use some variation of "I just find that alcohol isn't compatible with how I choose to live" or simply "I don't drink alcohol, it's not for me".

Nobody has ever pushed me further after that. A few times, I've had colleagues come to me 1:1 and ask "so... what's the deal with you not drinking...." with sincere interest. Those people have turned out to be people who themselves have wanted to quit or wished they could be like me and just drink water in a business setting, and I have shared more openly with them individually. But for the most part, I keep it honest, simple, but characterized simply as my choice. After all, that's what it is.

You can totally do this and each small victory of a business dinner, a sober flight, a few hours in an airport NOT spent in the bar - will give you momentum and confidence for the next.

You've got this.

This was such a helpful response to read as I sit in the terminal skipping the mimosa and having a nice big breakfast. I love Sparkling water so I'm going to take that tip with me! Thank you for the confidence boost. I've got this.
Old 10-09-2015, 04:27 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

For all of you who travel for business, I am curious why the draw of alcohol is so profound? Is it boredom? Don't you have to be mentally sharp to conduct your business? Again, just curious.
Old 10-09-2015, 04:31 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by thomas11 View Post
For all of you who travel for business, I am curious why the draw of alcohol is so profound? Is it boredom? Don't you have to be mentally sharp to conduct your business? Again, just curious.
I was pretty high functioning considering I would drink about a bottle of wine each night. Of course I will be even more productive sober and clear minded!

There are many draws to drink while on travel. No accountability. Loneliness. Social and professional expectations. Social gatherings where the booze flows constantly. And when traveling there is alcohol everywhere. In the airport, on the plane, in the mini bar, in the hotel lounge, at the luncheons and happy hours and dinner at fine restaurants courting clients who live wine and cocktails. And I'm in Healthcare! At least that's my experience.
Old 10-09-2015, 04:35 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Yep! What he said!

Add to that the inherent competitiveness and narcissism in business.... The longing to be dog something else... To be home with family instead of alone in a hotel.... The stress and the fact that there's not much else to do - apparently - than join all the others to drink. The long held notion that most of the 'real' business gets done over drinks.... It's a giant ball of cultural, perceptual, situational dynamics that leads to a binge drinking norm.
Old 10-09-2015, 04:44 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Adventurer

I would have to agree with what was just said above. Our minds like to try and play tricks on us telling us it's okay and giving us all kinds of excuses.
Old 10-09-2015, 07:29 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Interesting, but completely understandable. I have a couple friends who are in marketing for big companies, and they say alcohol is a tool to make sales. But they are normies. Regarding "real" business being done over drinks. I guess it happens, and my imagination makes me think this holds true for those at the top of the food chain. I've conducted some business while drinking, hated it. Its business for god's sake, I want to have my wits about me and not make promises that I can't keep.
Old 10-09-2015, 08:42 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Do your best

Your awesome Daisybee
Old 10-09-2015, 10:26 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Day 3 done! Got through being at the airport, on the plane, restaurants and a social gathering. "No wine for me, thanks... It won't agree with my medication." And just like that it was no biggie. I had cranberry juice with ice and lime. I had some great conversations and didn't focus on ridiculous things such as wondering if my glass is full enough and can I get another before the bar closes... Or maybe I need to take one more glass back to the room. It feels like freedom.

I feel so grateful because I don't feel any withdrawal symptoms at all since waking up on day 2 and am hoping they won't come.

Thank goodness I found these boards.
Old 10-09-2015, 11:21 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I am in Europe for business right now and am doing fine without drinking but last night a colleague/friend called me the local equivalent of a p*ssy for drinking mineral water. He was joking and didn't mean anything by it but it still stung.

I told him, "I'm finding that I have 2 speeds with drinking: stop and 100 miles an hour." He dropped it after that but another guy sitting there who works for me said, "oh yeah I saw Reset at 100 miles an hour at the Christmas party last year." Argh. I was hoping to put that past me but I suppose it's going to take a very long time.
Old 10-11-2015, 03:16 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Those stinging comments lessen with time.

Anyone who calls you a 'lesser-than' name for choosing sobriety is a person who is handily self-identifying as either having their own alcohol problem or else just being an a-hole.

Best response to them is simply to smile, look them in the eye, raise your mineral water and say 'cheers'.
Old 10-11-2015, 07:27 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I can relate reset. I got drunk on a work trip this summer, and have had to tolerate a few teasing comments ever since. They sting, but since more time has passed they've dropped off.
Next week I'm traveling with one of those guys who teases and who constantly talks about alcohol - he fancies champagne, fine spirits, loves to make jokes and comments about needing a drink, etc. I am anticipating some judgement from him when I refuse, but will hold my head high. I can see thru his alcohol obsession as a shield, whatever he uses it for, could be to avoid knowing himself, boredom, whatever.....don't let the haters get you down