Notices

If you can't do it for yourself, at least do it for the dog!

Old 10-08-2015, 02:39 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

If you can't do it for yourself, at least do it for the dog!

It only works if you do it for yourself. But if you can't do that, then at least do it for the dog (as for the cat, does he care?) The dog always knows. And he knows where you hide the bottles too.

W.
Old 10-08-2015, 02:43 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by wpainterw View Post
It only works if you do it for yourself. But if you can't do that, then at least do it for the dog (as for the cat, does he care?) The dog always knows. And he knows where you hide the bottles too.

W.
HAHAH!!

This is pure genuis.

Thank you for the chuckle.

Old 10-08-2015, 02:43 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

My cats knew. They didn't like the drunk me at all.

I'm thankful my two dogs have never seen me drink (or drunk). I plan to keep it that way
Old 10-08-2015, 03:02 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Cats like you to think they don't give a damn.

My cat is very happy that I'm sober. He won't admit it, but I know.
Old 10-08-2015, 03:18 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

One of the biggest reasons I got sober is to take better care of my cats and dogs. They love me sober. They loved me drunk too, but I love them better when I'm sober.
Old 10-08-2015, 03:26 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

When I was going through the first couple days of withdraw my cat didn't leave my side. They know when somethings wrong. It's was soothing none the less. Love my cat!
Old 10-08-2015, 03:44 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Ain't it the truth, W! Love this post.
Old 10-08-2015, 03:47 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I think one of the greatest gifts was my first two months of solid sobriety were the last two of my Willow's life. I will never feel guilt that I left her when she needed me most. I had to let the rest of the guilt go, but I was there and present every second those last two months. I never would have been able to care for her if I had been actively drinking. Staying sober after I lost her was my way of respecting her memory. So, I guess she kind of saved me. I miss her still.
Old 10-08-2015, 04:36 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Carver View Post
Cats like you to think they don't give a damn.

My cat is very happy that I'm sober. He won't admit it, but I know.
Ah but he knows that you know but he won't let on he knows. And you know he's that way....An infinite feline regression! Reminds me of the woman who was listening to the famous cosmologist and philosopher, Bertrand Russell, explaining how the earth travelled around the sun.The woman said, "You're wrong, Dr. Russell!! The earth rests on the back of an enormous turtle!" Russell replied "But then, Madam, what does that turtle rest on and if it rests on anything, what does that thing rest on?" "Wrong again, Dr. Russell!" the woman replied, "It's turtles all the way down!"
Go thou and do likewise!

W.
Old 10-08-2015, 04:41 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Great post, W; great responses everybody.
Old 10-08-2015, 04:43 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Ah but he knows that you know but he won't let on he knows. And you know he's that way....An infinite feline regression! Reminds me of the woman who was listening to the famous cosmologist and philosopher, Bertrand Russell, explaining how the earth travelled around the sun.The woman said, "You're wrong, Dr. Russell!! The earth rests on the back of an enormous turtle!" Russell replied "But then, Madam, what does that turtle rest on and if it rests on anything, what does that thing rest on?" "Wrong again, Dr. Russell!" the woman replied, "It's turtles all the way down!"
Go thou and do likewise!

W.
My cat knew about the turtles all along, but he doesn't give a rat's ass. Or does he?

The only thing I can say for sure is, he likes fish. And ham.
Old 10-08-2015, 05:25 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

W.
They don't call it, "Hair of the dog for nothing."
Old 10-08-2015, 05:28 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

W.
They call it freebasing. It's not free, it costs you your house! It should be called home basing! Three signs you're addicted to cocaine: First of all, if you come home to your house and you have no furniture and your cat's going "I'm outta here, *****!," Warning! Number two: If you have this dream where you're doing cocaine in your sleep and you can't fall asleep, and you wake up and you're doing cocaine, BINGO! Number three: if on your tax form it says, "$50,000 for snacks," MAYDAY!--Robin Williams
Old 10-08-2015, 05:46 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I stopped appreciating my cats when at my worst and actually resented them. They--(as a pride--I have about 20) definitely grew away from me and got closer to my son and husband. I think some of my drunken rages may have inspired some fear in them as well....lucky for me they are easy to forgive and I'm getting them back now. I had one senior pass on and I let him hold on too long, I should have put my foot down and had him euthanized regardless of husband's wishes. I was more knowledgeable about his condition--this will never happen again. I also had a litter of one day old kittens I received because a dog killed their mama that I think more would have survived had I been sober. Because I drank I fed them up until I went to bed then had my son do the feedings at night because he is a night owl anyway. He knows how to bottle feed as we all do but I'm the most skilled at it and should have been doing all the feedings I could do, I chose the bottle over those tiny lives. The guy in my sig was the lone survivor. All the kittens we had bottlefed before I started drinking survived. I know one day old-- the odds are bad anyway, but it makes me angry at myself. I should have tried harder to find a nursing mama somewhere as well. I was selfish and wanted to keep them as they were all beautiful, and I thought we could handle it. Sorry to be a Debbie Downer...
Old 10-08-2015, 06:19 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Blue Fairy. Don't beat yourself up over it. The past is past. You were ill. Your kittens are probably up in kitty heaven and have forgiven you and are eagerly waiting for you. I was able to have an old setter dog put to sleep shortly after I became sober but I called my doctor and he gave me a tranquilizer to help me survive that. It works if you don't get addicted to the prescription. But what works best is to get another animal, dog or cat. As I write this my little English Cocker is lying on my bed. He understands me in a way which I find almost scary, and i understand him.

W.
Old 10-08-2015, 06:22 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

My cat did not care. In fact I think he was fairly happy with the whole situation, the half eaten takeaways falling down my shirt when drunk were his favourite midnight snack. Only joking. He follows me down the road, probably checking I don't fall over.
Old 10-08-2015, 06:32 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Bill, my first Golden was named CJ, and on Thursday afternoons I got home and pulled out the bottle....he looked at me with disgust. Pure disgust. And that lasted until Saturday night. Sunday morning he knew (somehow) that the drinking was over. Back to his happy face. My new one, his name is Sunny, is totally different. I'm not a chronic drunk for 2-3 days a week. It is a reward in and of itself. Glad you are doing well Bill.
Old 10-08-2015, 06:57 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Ain't that the truth. Especially when it comes to detox, that's when my guys get really worried about me.
Old 10-08-2015, 08:09 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by thomas11 View Post
Bill, my first Golden was named CJ, and on Thursday afternoons I got home and pulled out the bottle....he looked at me with disgust. Pure disgust. And that lasted until Saturday night. Sunday morning he knew (somehow) that the drinking was over. Back to his happy face. My new one, his name is Sunny, is totally different. I'm not a chronic drunk for 2-3 days a week. It is a reward in and of itself. Glad you are doing well Bill.
Have always liked Golden Retrievers. A gentle, loving dog.

Bill.
Old 10-09-2015, 02:36 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Great post Bill!!