Notices

Complacency

Old 10-08-2015, 05:22 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
JD
You're not shackled to not drinking, you're free from drinking

Complacency

Starting my 26th day sober and woke up feeling kind of complacent and a little angry about having to go to work. My wife couldn't sleep all night and was in the bedroom reading with a light on until about 2:30 am. So I'm tired too.

So I need to buckle down and get back on my plan. Just wanted to write this because you all are so helpful and it'll help me hold myself accountable.
Old 10-08-2015, 05:31 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Congratulations on day 26!!!! Stay the course!!
Old 10-08-2015, 05:38 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by jd1639 View Post
Starting my 26th day sober and woke up feeling kind of complacent and a little angry about having to go to work. My wife couldn't sleep all night and was in the bedroom reading with a light on until about 2:30 am. So I'm tired too.

So I need to buckle down and get back on my plan. Just wanted to write this because you all are so helpful and it'll help me hold myself accountable.
Good job on pushing through. I think many of us can understand not wanting to get out of that warm cozy bed to go do something we don't want to do. But history has proven to me, that we are capable of doing it. I have gone through a few bouts of alcohol withdrawal and one bout of ambien withdrawal. On those occasions I know for a fact I did not sleep at all for around 50 hrs, and yet worked through it. Sometimes work was the only respite because my mind was occupied with work as opposed to how miserable I was. I wouldn't recommend staying awake for long periods of time to anyone, but we can do it. Now, if I only get 3 hours of sleep, I'm still bummed out, but it is a heck of a lot better than 50 hrs with no sleep.
Old 10-08-2015, 05:39 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Adventurer

26 days or 260 days sometimes we dread going to work, push through it and you will be fine. Good job almost a month!
Old 10-08-2015, 05:41 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi jd - what are you complacent about - the whole recovery process?

D
Old 10-08-2015, 05:51 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
JD

Dee, I'm feeling complacent about the process. Cravings haven't been very bad and I feel somewhat like I have this licked. That scars me as I know I'm very early in the process and I can't let my guard down. I've been down the path were I start to think maybe I can be moderate. That's never worked and never will. So getting my thoughts out to all of you helps me get the right thoughts clear in my mind.
Old 10-08-2015, 05:56 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hey Jd,
19 days sober here. Sorry you couldn't sleep well, atleast you have someone to wake up to and a job to stay busy and make some cash . I used to remember waking up to my girl but I lost her due to drinking so.. my fault. Seems like we want to change and get rid of those moderate thoughts eh? I am right there with ya.
Have a good day at work mate.

Dru -
Old 10-08-2015, 07:17 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Adventurer

Well if you want to keep waking up with your girl next to you and a job to go to moderation or the thought of it needs to go bye bye. It hasn't worked in the past for you and it won't now, squash the thought.
Old 10-08-2015, 08:21 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Great job on Day 26!!

Isolation was the main thing that bred complacency in myself during the many times that I tried to quit, so support and even staying close to SR is a great way forward!!

You can do this!!
Old 10-08-2015, 09:01 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I hear you. Day 21 was a hard day for me to overcome - I had enough distance from the pain of drinking for my mind to start playing tricks on me. I had proven to may self that I had stopped drinking, right?

This last time I did something different - instead of focusing on not drinking, I focused on healing myself from what was driving me to drink. I know this process now as recovery.

Have you tried any recovery methods?
Old 10-08-2015, 09:03 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Do your best

26 days
Old 10-08-2015, 01:53 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
JD

I want to thank everyone on here. Like many of us I've suffered through depression most of my life and that reared it's ugly head this morning. It made me feel less strong than I am. I've had my daily walk and meditation and I'm in a lot better place. Again, thank you for your support.