Notices

Almost drank today

Old 10-07-2015, 10:27 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Almost drank today

Today is 3 weeks sober. Was a Rollercoaster of emotions. Accepted a job offer, wasn't my first choice, but it will pay the bills. Not thrilled about it as someone else was selected for the job I really wanted at a different company. Anyway, I went to the liquor store, bought a bottle of vodka, went home and stuck it in the freezer. Then I just sat on the couch. The whole time thinking I don't really want to drink, why did I do that? That was about 5 hours ago and never touched it. Didn't want to touch it after I got home. I thought about it on and off but didn't RALLY want it. Anyway, 3 weeks down and still sober. Glad today is over.
Old 10-07-2015, 10:33 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm sorry about the disappointment but yeah - drinking's not going to change anything.

Congrats on the new job tho.

To really cement this win over your addiction, you need to pour that sucker out MM....do it now!

D
Old 10-07-2015, 10:47 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I thought about it ... then I thought that I don't want to not be able to control myself around alcohol. So I just forced myself to accept the urges and they went away and it's not bothering me anymore. Guess I needed to prove to myself that I could control myself. Does that make sense? I told my fiance the whole story and told her why I didn't dump it out.
Old 10-07-2015, 10:55 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Whoops, only half my message posted. So yeah, told my fiance when she got home and told her to give it to her boss tomorrow as a gift from me. Him and I worked\drank together for many years.
Old 10-08-2015, 01:58 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Glad you made it through Madmartigan, alcohol wouldn't have in any way fixed the problem of not getting the job, just made you feel worse with the added extra bonus prize of a bottle of vodka worth of a hangover.

3 weeks is early days still though, you don't need to be testing anything at this point, the goal is to stay Sober by any means possible, build up those Sober muscles. there's plenty of time to be in situations where there's alcohol later down the road!!

Keep pushing through!!
Old 10-08-2015, 02:40 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

close call.. I've been tempted to do the same. Dunno If I would have been able to resist. Hit a lot of triggers me self today.. but I distracted myself with some exercise and I decked out my man cave with a few additional goodies.

Grats tho.
Old 10-08-2015, 02:43 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Doing good mad, but yeah I wouldn't push it. I'm three months and I've been in situations where there's alcohol around. But I wouldn't dare keep it in the house with me, just in case. Just one drink will ruin my life.

Congrats on 3 weeks!
Old 10-08-2015, 02:47 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Great job at resisting the drink, especially since you already got it home. Wow. Close call. Usually once we say eff it, the decision to drink has been made. Glad you fought that off.
Old 10-08-2015, 02:53 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

Great job!

Alcohol is poisen.

Cheerish sobriety. I'm proud to be a clean and sober man. Feels amazing.

My problem is over training at the gym.

Never had that problem when I was a drunk.
Old 10-08-2015, 05:09 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Rar

I had a close call a couple of days ago. I really, really wanted to drink and felt at the time, at least one drink would help in my situation. I posted here and SR helped me through it. Now, several days later, I can't even remember the feeling of that craving and I'm so glad I didn't drink. I think you did a good thing in giving away that wine.
Old 10-08-2015, 05:22 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

What ever you do, don't drink and you have a fighting chance. To relieve yourself if the desire to drink requires intense work and action on your part. Just abstaining, posting on here and etc. is no enough to treat and recover from alcoholism or the condition that makes an alcoholic want to drink, if you are truly an alcoholic.

Failure to treat the alcoholism leave an alcoholic feeling incomplete and still having a desire to drink.
Old 10-08-2015, 05:27 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Adventurer

Great job on not caving in and drinking. Good of you to give the bottle away as well, no need to keep it hanging around to test yourself.
Old 10-08-2015, 08:10 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Just checking in. I didn't cave in. Didn't really think about it after the initial roller-coaster. Woke up this morning thinking, damn I'm glad I didn't drink. Hope everyone is having a good day! And thanks for the support.
Old 10-08-2015, 08:14 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Congratulations on the new job, Madmartigan. congratulations, too, on three sober weeks.

Great job on getting rid of the vodka - it has nothing of any true value to offer you. Now sobriety, on the other hand, has much to offer; watch the benefits unfold - really good stuff.
Old 10-08-2015, 08:19 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Congratulations on 3 weeks.
Old 10-08-2015, 08:50 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I admire your restraint after the initial decision to buy the bottle. You passed a major test. I look forward to being at 3 weeks again, that is quite an accomplishment.
Old 10-08-2015, 09:06 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Do your best

Great job not drinking congrats on 3 weeks sober