Notices

Emotional Rollercoaster

Old 10-07-2015, 01:13 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Emotional Rollercoaster

I am all over the place this week. Is this normal after 10 weeks?

I have suggested a new job to myself each day of the week. I wrote a list of goals for myself last night and in the morning no longer agreed with them. Not agreeing with myself? I had to "surf" a horrible temptation this morning just to get up and now I'm having a good day at work.

I'm sure this improves, but how long? It is literally exhausting.
Old 10-07-2015, 01:20 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

10 weeks!!

congratulations.

Yeah I was a pretty big mess emotionally and mentally at 10 weeks....

In fact, for most of the first year there were lots of waves, ups and downs, unexpected emotions, confusion, exhaustion, physical and mental challenges.

Take it in stride, be sure you're caring for yourself with good nutrition, sleep, exercise and I really advocate counseling / therapy. Having a qualified therapist to vent to and from whom you can learn new strategies really can be a huge help. Meditation. Distance running. Long walks in the woods. Nature.... watching the sunrise... journaling.... This all may seem like it's exhausting in its own right or just a waste of time - but it all comes together eventually and all of these things REALLY do make a huge difference. You're going through a transformation.... and transformation means finding your way to a new sort of stasis. Trying to just wait it out or thrash your way through it without direction, support, nourishment, self care - that can be a really challenging path.

Old 10-07-2015, 01:20 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I can't remember how long my emotional roller coaster lasted but I remember that I rode it for a good while (maybe three or four months). My emotions eventually evened-out/stabilized.

Hang in SoberInCLE; it will get easier and better. Sobriety and recovery are worth every effort you put into it.
Old 10-07-2015, 01:23 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I can't remember either how long my emotions were all over the place. A few months probably. It does get better with more sober time.
Old 10-07-2015, 01:43 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hang in there, it will get better, for me I was exhausted for the first few weeks, but my feelings, emotions, thoughts were all over the place for the first few months.

But eventually things will level out, remember that Rome wasn't built in a day, we don't need to have everything in life figured out straight away, there's plenty of time for that.

Focus on Sobriety and everything will fall into place in time!!
Old 10-07-2015, 01:46 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FreeOwl View Post
10 weeks!!

congratulations.

Yeah I was a pretty big mess emotionally and mentally at 10 weeks....

In fact, for most of the first year there were lots of waves, ups and downs, unexpected emotions, confusion, exhaustion, physical and mental challenges.

Take it in stride, be sure you're caring for yourself with good nutrition, sleep, exercise and I really advocate counseling / therapy. Having a qualified therapist to vent to and from whom you can learn new strategies really can be a huge help. Meditation. Distance running. Long walks in the woods. Nature.... watching the sunrise... journaling.... This all may seem like it's exhausting in its own right or just a waste of time - but it all comes together eventually and all of these things REALLY do make a huge difference. You're going through a transformation.... and transformation means finding your way to a new sort of stasis. Trying to just wait it out or thrash your way through it without direction, support, nourishment, self care - that can be a really challenging path.

FreeOwl,

Thanks. I have not taken up journaling but that is a good idea. I may be better off observing my feelings rather than setting goals at this stage. I am seeing a therapist and looking for new hobbies.

I know I have a lot of feelings about myself that I have to deal with. Still, I would really like to advance myself at work or in a new job - a new challenge. I felt this way four years ago before my drinking worsened and to not be able to now because of my out-of-control emotions seems UNFAIR.

Thanks for listening to me gripe.
Old 10-07-2015, 04:50 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

For me I think I numbed all my ups and downs with alcohol....I just wasn't used to coping with life as it is. Not being able to manipulate my feelings and my perceptions with alcohol, I am forced to ride stuff that I think is rather normal....I'm just not used to it. I'm kinda like a little kid trying to figure out new feeling and ways of coping. And of course there is the neurological havoc that alcohol causes that simply makes it all worse. Sometimes not reacting is the best reaction....letting a lot of things go. And sleep, exercise and eat healthy.
Old 10-07-2015, 05:19 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

It took about six months for me to start to level out the first time I quit. Now that I'm back after a run of drinking again, I'm still fairly early in recovery and I definitely have my moments. I got irrationally upset with a dish towel that kept falling to the floor just this evening. I smacked it around a bit and put it back where it belonged, took a few deep breaths and then I was fine again. Hang in there and well done on 10 weeks!
Old 10-07-2015, 06:07 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SoberInCLE View Post
FreeOwl,

Thanks. I have not taken up journaling but that is a good idea. I may be better off observing my feelings rather than setting goals at this stage. I am seeing a therapist and looking for new hobbies.

I know I have a lot of feelings about myself that I have to deal with. Still, I would really like to advance myself at work or in a new job - a new challenge. I felt this way four years ago before my drinking worsened and to not be able to now because of my out-of-control emotions seems UNFAIR.

Thanks for listening to me gripe.
I get it. I've been there. Sobriety has turned that all around for me. The first year was transformation, rebuilding, nurturing, self-care, learning, growing, coming out of the haze.... finding the new.... trying things... evolving.

This second year has been marked by a lot of progress, a lot of happiness, a lot of emotional growth, a lot of insight. Still some challenges - but a lot more being OK with my life and making strides in my goals and laying foundations for great new things....

You'll get there too. Go easy on yourself and try to remember that all of this is part of the process of rebuilding... and when you're rebuilding in sobriety - the outcome is really wonderful.

Hang in there.

Old 10-07-2015, 06:18 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think it took a few months for things to settle down for me. The thing was that I had to learn, in baby steps, how to deal with life and with the emotions. It was really a growth experience.
Old 10-08-2015, 06:57 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ZeldaFan View Post
It took about six months for me to start to level out the first time I quit. Now that I'm back after a run of drinking again, I'm still fairly early in recovery and I definitely have my moments. I got irrationally upset with a dish towel that kept falling to the floor just this evening. I smacked it around a bit and put it back where it belonged, took a few deep breaths and then I was fine again. Hang in there and well done on 10 weeks!

Thanks! You got this!
Old 10-08-2015, 07:21 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Anna speaks the truth. I think part of it is physical recovery and part mental recovery. Just not drinking wasn't enough for me. I had to learn how to cope with life in healthy ways and that takes time. I was thinking this morning about early recovery and wanting everything fixed NOW! ASAP! It just doesn't work that way. It is worth it though. Just hang in there. I went down hill for about 3 months or so. Then slowly got better. There were points where I thought I had peaked out and wouldn't get any better but even now, at about 14 months, it is still continuing to improve. Patience.
Old 10-08-2015, 09:13 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Do your best

Yes I was like this too but massive congrats on reaching double digits in weeks
Old 10-08-2015, 09:26 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I remember asking the same question. It is funny how similar we all are. Another member, Sugarbear1, told me it would take 3 months. She was right.