Notices

Disgusted and ready to change

Old 10-07-2015, 10:20 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Disgusted and ready to change

Hello I'm new to this forum. I've read quite a bit but today is my first post. I'm an alcoholic. Moderation never ever works for me and unfortunately I have spent two decades in a vicious cycle of drinking heavily daily, many many attempts to quit, and then I get right back to the wine bottle.

I saw my doctor a week ago and he made it clear that abstinence is the only way for me to do this. And I finally agree because I'm tired and disgusted. Yesterday, I drank so much that I woke in the middle of the night with horrible anxiety. My poor husband comforted me and had to keep reassuring me that everything is ok because I was convinced I had done something terrible.

Today as I nurse my hangover and pick myself back up, I'm determined that this is the last Day 1 and I will do everything possible to protect my sobriety, my mental and physical health, and my sanity. I've removed all alcohol and am throwing out all of the wine related stuff in my life.
But...
I need support. That's why I'm here.
Old 10-07-2015, 10:25 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome

You will find plenty of support here! This forum was the key to me getting sober. Post often, read as much as you can, you aren't alone in this.
Old 10-07-2015, 10:37 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome on board Daisy Bee.

It might help if you describe when, where, who with, why and how you drink - people may have some ideas that could help you develop your personal sober plan.

You've taken a huge step in the right direction - wishing you all best for your sobriety and recovery
Old 10-07-2015, 10:41 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome, DaisyBee,

This is a great place for support, we're glad you've joined us. Congratulations on your decision to stop drinking.
Old 10-07-2015, 10:41 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family! You'll find lots of support here.
Old 10-07-2015, 10:42 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Welcome to SR DaisyBee! As others have said, you'll find a lot of support and understanding here. I'm glad you've made the decision to quit too, it's one you will not regret.
Old 10-07-2015, 10:44 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Heyyyy daisybee
Welcome. Oh I relate to where you are. If you want this badly enough, you can do it. Just don't drink, no matter what....after a week or so you'll start to feel better.
Did you talk to your dr. about medically supervised detox? Once you get through detox you can start to think about how you plan to stay sober, what kind of support you'll need....that kind of thing. And there's tons of info here.
Old 10-07-2015, 10:46 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

cool... glad to have you here!

you've definitely come to the right place, and we've been where you are now.

you don't have to keep that cycle up anymore.

Welcome.

Old 10-07-2015, 10:49 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I know the feeling of such anxiety when "waking" from a bender. I know it very well.

Welcome to this wonderful place!
Old 10-07-2015, 10:51 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Good for you Daisy Bee-

Posting here is a really good first step.
Old 10-07-2015, 10:51 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Professional zombie fighter

Welcome! This place is full of wisdom and great people. Glad you found it
Old 10-07-2015, 12:07 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum DaisyBee!!
Old 10-07-2015, 12:13 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Beccybean View Post
Welcome on board Daisy Bee.

It might help if you describe when, where, who with, why and how you drink - people may have some ideas that could help you develop your personal sober plan.

You've taken a huge step in the right direction - wishing you all best for your sobriety and recovery
Thank you I can use all the help I can get!
When: I would normally start at 5pm after a long day of work

Where: at home or in a bar/restaurant or hotel room if traveling for work

Who with: usually alone.. My spouse doesn't drink at all

How: My glass cannot be empty until the entire wine bottle is empty

I'm sure my biggest triggers are related to stress and being overwhelmed with my work
Old 10-07-2015, 12:15 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Frickaflip233 View Post
Heyyyy daisybee
Welcome. Oh I relate to where you are. If you want this badly enough, you can do it. Just don't drink, no matter what....after a week or so you'll start to feel better.
Did you talk to your dr. about medically supervised detox? Once you get through detox you can start to think about how you plan to stay sober, what kind of support you'll need....that kind of thing. And there's tons of info here.
The doctor didn't mention anything about detox. I have 5-7 drinks per night on a "normal" night and up to 10 on a "bad" night. I don't know what detox means. I assumed the alcohol would just leave my system after a couple of days.
Old 10-07-2015, 12:30 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Daisybee, we have all been in this place in some capacity or another. I have done the very same thing many, many times. I also got rid of all of my wine and martini signs that I had decorating my kitchen. This is a good path to be on, and although I have fallen off recently, I can tell you that I've learned more about myself through this forum. You take care of yourself! Congrats are taking the first step!
Old 10-07-2015, 12:36 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Have you thought about joining any support groups? I don't know where you are based, but AA is located pretty much everywhere now, and is free and available to anyone who has a desire to stop drinking. (I'm an AA bird and have found having meetings to go to when I might have busied myself in a bar, and the network of friendships I've made with other women in similar situation to me invaluable. As well as learning different ways to be at ease, and work through the resentments, fears, and anxieties of life that alcohol used to be a softener for) SMART, I believe, is also in a lot of places. There are SMART people here as well. There is a good sticky thread on here about different things people have used...
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...at-we-did.html
Old 10-07-2015, 04:14 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I sat down and had a talk with my husband and was very honest with him about my drinking and my decision to quit. He is very supportive and committed to helping me stay sober. I feel like a weight has lifted but there is a long road ahead.

I found several AA meetings in my neighborhood and am going to one tomorrow.
Old 10-07-2015, 04:36 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Daisy and welcome,

I'm glad you have decided to stop drinking and we're here for you.

It's always a good idea to talk to your dr before you stop drinking. Detoxing (when the alcohol leaves your body) is unpredictable and can be dangerous.
Old 10-07-2015, 04:48 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Rar

HI Daisy. Welcome to SR.
Old 10-07-2015, 07:11 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Welcome DaisyBee!
Good for you finding the strength to show yourself after peeking around the corner for a while. Of course I did the same thing. Read and read for weeks of not a couple months?

Making my first post what a huge relief. I had finally admitted to myself that I need to stop. I had finally drummed up the courage to do it, and I could see that it's doable.

Things really changed for me after I posted day 1 here on April 20th. And thats all I was promising at the time was one day. I didn't post after a full day sober, I posted a simple promise that I would not drink for that one day.

That one day was very doable. I made it a whole day without alcohol!!!! First thing I did on the next day make a promise I would not drink for that day.

When things got tough, I posted. If I couldn't post, I read. Just keep filling your mind with what SR has to offer. It'll keep you straight.

And wow....
Congrats to you for talking to your hubby!!! That takes some real courage. I was private about my decision for a day or two, but I realized that I needed the accountability. After two days, there was noooo stopping me. I was going to push through this and come out a winner no matter what it took. If that meant I needed to tell those around me, then that's what I need to do.

You're going to live the AA mtg. Don't be embarrassed, don't be nervous or scared. You ARE going to be welcomed. You won't be forced to go again either. That's going to be up to you. You can take AA for as little or as much as you need or want.

I'm happy for you. You've really made some big decisions here in the last 24hrs and your following through. That's awesome. Keep it up!