Disgusted and ready to change

Old 10-07-2015, 07:13 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Just remember there's a reason to change and "You've Got This"
Old 10-07-2015, 07:18 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Incontrol15 View Post
Welcome DaisyBee!
Good for you finding the strength to show yourself after peeking around the corner for a while. Of course I did the same thing. Read and read for weeks of not a couple months?

Making my first post what a huge relief. I had finally admitted to myself that I need to stop. I had finally drummed up the courage to do it, and I could see that it's doable.

Things really changed for me after I posted day 1 here on April 20th. And thats all I was promising at the time was one day. I didn't post after a full day sober, I posted a simple promise that I would not drink for that one day.

That one day was very doable. I made it a whole day without alcohol!!!! First thing I did on the next day make a promise I would not drink for that day.

When things got tough, I posted. If I couldn't post, I read. Just keep filling your mind with what SR has to offer. It'll keep you straight.

And wow....
Congrats to you for talking to your hubby!!! That takes some real courage. I was private about my decision for a day or two, but I realized that I needed the accountability. After two days, there was noooo stopping me. I was going to push through this and come out a winner no matter what it took. If that meant I needed to tell those around me, then that's what I need to do.

You're going to live the AA mtg. Don't be embarrassed, don't be nervous or scared. You ARE going to be welcomed. You won't be forced to go again either. That's going to be up to you. You can take AA for as little or as much as you need or want.

I'm happy for you. You've really made some big decisions here in the last 24hrs and your following through. That's awesome. Keep it up!
Thank you for the encouragement. You are so right about the accountability. Without that I have always fallen right back into the old cycle once I felt better. My husband is a wise person. He said he knew I needed to come to this decision on my own because he couldn't control my behavior.

I have made it through Day 1 and am going to bed to hopefully a restful nights sleep. I like the approach of just focusing on the present day. Thanks for that reminder.
Old 10-07-2015, 07:46 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Welcome, as others have said this is a great place for support. As most of us know, it's easy to swear off drinking after a scare only to get back on the horse once the dust settles. Real success comes from continued sobriety, and that's what we're all about! Some great advice above, just promise yourself one day at a time. You sound like a strong person with a will to fight back against this monster in your life. Great move IMO tossing all of the alcohol and alcohol-related stuff out of the house! Next step, just be sober. One day at a time. You'll get that urge around the same time tomorrow, but just be calm and let it pass. It will seem weird at first but it can become the new normal. Welcome again!
Old 10-07-2015, 07:52 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by teatreeoil007 View Post
Just remember there's a reason to change and "You've Got This"
Thank you. I love this!
Old 10-07-2015, 07:54 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

I'm so grateful for the support and words of wisdom. I feel very strong today but the real battle will begin when I'm not scared and hungover. But I'm going to stay very close to these forums and I'm hopeful the AA meetings will help.
Old 10-07-2015, 08:08 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DaisyBee View Post
Thank you I can use all the help I can get!
When: I would normally start at 5pm after a long day of work

Where: at home or in a bar/restaurant or hotel room if traveling for work

Who with: usually alone.. My spouse doesn't drink at all

How: My glass cannot be empty until the entire wine bottle is empty

I'm sure my biggest triggers are related to stress and being overwhelmed with my work
Hi DaisyBee -- welcome! I so related to your post. I drank wine in the evenings, alone (husband doesn't drink), after my stressful work days. I was afraid to stop drinking because I thought it helped me cope with work ... but I had it backwards, it only made things worse. I'm glad I quit.

You can do this. And I'll bet you won't regret it. You'll find lots of support here and in AA.

Old 10-07-2015, 08:19 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tursiops999 View Post
Hi DaisyBee -- welcome! I so related to your post. I drank wine in the evenings, alone (husband doesn't drink), after my stressful work days. I was afraid to stop drinking because I thought it helped me cope with work ... but I had it backwards, it only made things worse. I'm glad I quit. You can do this. And I'll bet you won't regret it. You'll find lots of support here and in AA.
Amen to that T.
I was drinking to cope with all the stresses in my life, and there was many. Come to find out, nearly all of them were put there as a result of my drinking.

I drank to quiet my anxiety. Come to find out, there's no anxiety if you're sober! Who would have thunk it?
Old 10-07-2015, 08:29 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

We've got your back. We've always got your back!