Notices

Breathe....

Old 10-06-2015, 07:05 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
KAD
Left the bottle behind 4/16/2015

Breathe....

For those of you who know my story, you know I haven't been allowed contact with my children since I got drunk and totaled my car back in April. Through intense guilt and shame, I accepted those terms, even though the most recent court order between my ex and I states that I am entitled to 1 supervised visit per week for a period of 1 year. It's been 6 months since I've had any contact with my children at all.

I have contacted my ex-wife to remind her of the terms of our court order and that I want to establish some kind of communication with my kids again. I have offered to start out slowly, so they do not feel pressured or awkward. My ex agrees with that idea but wants them to meet with their counselor first to discuss how they feel about it. I have to prepare myself for the very real possibility they don't want to communicate with me right now. I have to remember that, no matter what, this journey is ultimately about me, and I'm doing the right things now. No matter the outcome, I have to be OK with my role in it right now, not in the past.

Amends will come, and that's why I want to open up the lines of communication again, even with my ex. I know I wasn't the best husband or the easiest person to get along with. Her faults are her's to deal with, or not. The only ones I can deal with are my own. My hands are full enough with that!
Old 10-06-2015, 07:49 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

Hi...

This got to the second page so it is likely being overlooked.

I was one second away from exactly where you went. Just lucky I guess.

Hang tough. Your kids are worth the work.

Stay clean.
Old 10-06-2015, 08:02 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hope it works out for you!
Old 10-06-2015, 08:12 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think you have a good attitude GMO - I hope things work out though

D
Old 10-06-2015, 08:41 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Sorry to hear about the difficulties with your children, GMO. Keeping the lines of communication with them, even if they aren't ready to see you right now, sounds like the right thing to do.

All we can do is try to do better now that we know better, right?

Wishing you the best,

Delfin
Old 10-06-2015, 09:25 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

It's a step in the right direction and it sounds like you're doing everything right. I hope the best for you!
Old 10-07-2015, 02:40 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hang in there and things will work out, we can only do what we can do!!
Old 10-07-2015, 07:13 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
KAD
Left the bottle behind 4/16/2015

My daughters are going to meet with their counselor this coming Monday, to discuss their feelings about the prospect of opening the lines of communication with me again. I'm hopeful, but nervous. Things could go either way. That's the only guarantee I have. All I can do about it is pray.

And, by all means, not drink! If there is one way to lessen, or possibly destroy, my chances of ever having contact with them again, that would be it.
Old 10-08-2015, 12:38 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

That is really tough. You are doing great not to allow anger to get the better of you. And especially not to drink. If it does not work to see them now, it will soon if you just keep doing what you are doing.