Notices

Sober holiday

Old 10-06-2015, 02:53 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Sober holiday

When I joined SR I was already a few weeks sober, (struggling still)but I particularly wanted some support to get my head around having a holiday without drinking, a special holiday that I had been planning and looking forward to for a couple of years.
Just wanted to check in here and let anybody reading know, that I've done / been on said (wonderful in lots of ways) holiday and stayed TOTALLY SOBER................ yippee!!!
When we arrived at the hotel, really tired from all the travelling, there was a bottle of champers in an ice bucket! I didn't even take a sip, but was really tempted!
Later in the holiday the film "Flight" was on in the hotel (Densel Washington), it felt like I was meant to see it.
I'm proud of myself tonight.
Be well all.

xx
Old 10-06-2015, 02:59 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Oh AND.............. I passed my six months sober whilst I was away! Feel a bit like a kid showing off now, but it really is a big achievement.
xx
Old 10-06-2015, 03:47 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
JD
You're not shackled to not drinking, you're free from drinking

Way to go! Six months is fantastic.
Old 10-06-2015, 03:49 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Go you!! What a great update.
Old 10-06-2015, 03:52 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Good for you, yes that's a great achievement!
Old 10-07-2015, 01:01 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Fantastic!!
Old 10-07-2015, 03:13 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks sober folks, it is good and I'm still pinching myself a bit.
Something interesting I discovered too - my partner can drink or not as the occasion requires and doesn't mind if he goes weeks without, basically a "normal drinker". As we were away, he drank a bit more often and had wine with the meals out. I noticed he got stuck on subjects when under the influence, repeated himself a lot and seemed completely unable to pick up any social cues, also repeated himself and was ........... sorry........... boring at times.
I think I've discovered that, for me, the influence of alcohol on even "normal" folk, can be really dull.
It's really helping me not to miss it.
The film I mentioned "Flight" is really good by the way.
Have a good sober day.

xx
Old 10-07-2015, 04:51 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

This is reassuring since I am going on a vacay myself in a month. It's a family vacation so booze won't be so readily available but I'm still nervous about it.

Thanks for showing that it CAN be done!!!
Old 10-07-2015, 05:06 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I noticed that my needs from a vacation have def altered since I drank. We went back to a favourite place of mine this summer and there was far too much sitting about for me now. Back in the drinking days we would arrive, find a nice settling spot and get drunk. And repeat that each day til it was time to go home. Now I want to go out exploring a bit more, and try out some different activities. We did go on lots of walks but it was all a bit of a muchness.

But never mind - I have a darstardly plan!

My plan for the next one is a long weekend in London.. Highgate Cemetery; museums; quirky markets; LOTS of tea and cake in various cafes and tea houses; and meals and live music in the evening. Just need some time off and some money now!! Lol .
Old 10-07-2015, 05:08 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FarToGo View Post
When I joined SR I was already a few weeks sober, (struggling still)but I particularly wanted some support to get my head around having a holiday without drinking, a special holiday that I had been planning and looking forward to for a couple of years.
Just wanted to check in here and let anybody reading know, that I've done / been on said (wonderful in lots of ways) holiday and stayed TOTALLY SOBER................ yippee!!!
When we arrived at the hotel, really tired from all the travelling, there was a bottle of champers in an ice bucket! I didn't even take a sip, but was really tempted!
Later in the holiday the film "Flight" was on in the hotel (Densel Washington), it felt like I was meant to see it.
I'm proud of myself tonight.
Be well all.

xx
Old 10-07-2015, 08:43 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Do your best

Way to go on 6 months bud
Old 10-07-2015, 08:44 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

If I can do it, you can definitely do it Nowsthetime.
I realised that my earlier judgements on my partner whilst under the influence sound pretty arrogant, I should add that I also realise what a bore I must have been more often than not for over 30 years, a lot more often than a "normal" drinker who gets a bit "gobby" and boring occasionally. I'm surprised people put up with me at all and maybe many didn't, I was just too drunk to care.
Thanks for reading and joining in on this one, SR is so very important to me and helps me in many many ways.
Thank you.

xx
Old 10-07-2015, 08:56 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Very cool, FarToGo; great to hear that you enjoyed your holiday and sober, too!

Congratulations on six months - .
Old 10-07-2015, 09:11 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FarToGo View Post
I realised that my earlier judgements on my partner whilst under the influence sound pretty arrogant, I should add that I also realise what a bore I must have been more often than not for over 30 years, a lot more often than a "normal" drinker who gets a bit "gobby" and boring occasionally. ...
Hi FTG

I for one didn't think it sounded arrogant. It was just an observation about the effect of alcohol, and why it can make drunk people fairly tiring to be around.

Like you, I find this really irritating when out with my OH now that I'm sober, but know full well that I'd have been the same, or worse, when I was drinking.

When we're out locally we have an agreement that I'll come out for the first part of the evening and disappear once he starts getting to that stage. Trouble with holidays is that it isn't always so easy to do that then. That's why I'm planning places with loud music next holiday. I won't be able to hear him that way haha Love him to bits really. And you know, when sober he knows so much about so many interesting subjects... my OH isn't a boring person, but he can be a boring drunk. Just like I probably was. But I wanted to change, and am working hard to do that, and I really don't think it's good for my recovery to sit there listening to him and the other drunks in the local rambling on every Saturday night while I sip a coke and wish I was somewhere else, when actually he doesn't even really notice that I've left half the time, and in the morning can't remember if I was there til the end or not. Hopefully that isn't arrogant of me, because I feel that I do need to set some healthy boundaries about drinking environments if me living (sober) with him (still drinking) is going to work in the long term.
Old 10-07-2015, 09:28 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Great post - very well done
Old 10-07-2015, 09:38 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Congratulations on six months! It's great to enjoy a vacation while sober.

I took my first sober vacation in August. First vacation in a very long time, drunk or sober. I really enjoyed myself. No regrets, remembered what I did. Came back sort of refreshed.

Thanks for sharing!
Old 10-07-2015, 09:38 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

You know what? Alcohol and drinking is kind of boring when you think about it. Just doing the same thing over and over again day after day, it must get boring to those around us. It is funny that it takes us so long to realize it!
Congrats to 6 months! That is wonderful and I'm glad you shared, because I was thinking I couldn't enjoy a vacation if I was sober.
Old 10-07-2015, 03:34 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm really glad you had a good holiday and that you did it sober FarToGo

D
Old 10-07-2015, 03:36 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Wonderful news, FarToGo. So happy for you.
I agree that 'Flight' is excellent - and devastating in parts.