Notices

Imagine that!

Old 10-06-2015, 02:26 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
A simple guy making his way

Imagine that!

I am a very firm believer that we create our own worlds. Through thought that leads to actions. You cannot have a positive life with a negative mind.

But sadly I, like many of you here, have been either taught negativity or adopted it as a first language as we move through life.

We can change that. How do I know? I am doing it. It's a slow go for sure. Sometimes at a glaciers pace.

I had one of those nights sleeping where I was up and down, half asleep and then wide awake. Jolted by dreams that seemed real. I tend to remember dreams more than most people I know. I even remember forcing my eyes open to see if I was dreaming or awake. Haha I was dreaming. Well until that moment I opened my eyes anyway.

Here is what all this chatter was leading up to…. I started in on all the crap negative stuff I tell myself day in and day out. Started heading down Worthless Lane and right into Depressionville. How many morning have I woken feeling beaten before sunrise. Too many.

I actually remember telling that voice to stop. I don't accept that. That is not me. I am a good person. I don't have to believe you and I get to create this world for me. So stop!

Somewhere in there I feel back to sleep. Pretty sound I might say. That was three hours ago.

So imagine that. I am practicing stopping those thoughts before they get me that I even did it in my sleep. I woke feeling much better than I normally do. Like I broke a pattern right there.

Living sober is done through many small feats daily. Not a silver bullet. This one will keep me rolling a bit better today. Imagine that!!! Thank you!!!

Ken
Old 10-06-2015, 02:42 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Thank you! I am working on the same thing. I have many negative thought patterns that I am becoming aware of and I am working on changing them. I am realizing the negative thought patterns are not based in reality. Things are as they are and my mind creates the story.
Old 10-06-2015, 03:03 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

That voice in your head is an unreliable narrator. I have one, too, although mine tries to tell me I am immune to the rules others must follow. All those other people with alcohol problems need to stop drinking, but you Nonsensical can beat it a different way.

Same git, different monologue.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unreliable_narrator
Old 10-06-2015, 03:08 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
A simple guy making his way

Yes nons I think thats him but much meaner.

JSober... Many of us here are here for this very reason. Changing these things takes time and practice. A lot of practice.
Old 10-06-2015, 03:12 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Great!!!
Old 10-06-2015, 06:00 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

My daughter was so upset last night over what seemed like such a non issue. But her feelings were real. She had to go through her process...then she started talking to me about being reactive vs proactive...and how that bothered her because sometimes it just feels good to react. Anyway, after talking, philosophising I told her that I believe happiness is a choice. Yes, we can sit around and wait for 'things/people' to make us happy, or we can choose to BE happy. Anyway, good post.
Old 10-06-2015, 06:06 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Wink

Originally Posted by Weasel1966 View Post
I am a very firm believer that we create our own worlds. Through thought that leads to actions. You cannot have a positive life with a negative mind.

Ken
i have been sober a while now...
and i can Indeed STRONGLY Agree with this!
(though it took a while and i'm STILL a work in progress)
Old 10-06-2015, 07:12 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Do your best

Excellent post Weasel
Old 10-06-2015, 11:01 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

The depression i had used to be like a broken record in my head .

I had a constant diatribe going on in my mind , a narrative .

I challenged the narration , made a job to counter every negative thought with 3 good ones . To focus on the positive things people say now rather than ghost of voices of people who are dead and who were hurt , daft , abused or angry themselves .

The thoughts diminish , the catch 22 trap is still there , like drinking but i avoid going there in my mental landscape .

With my 10,000 days left , i don't want to ever be drunk and have a hangover again , I don't ever want to be caught in the obsessive thoughts in the cage of depression .

Stop and drop the idea , change the broken record . Tend the fertile garden of your mind and thoughts by practising discrimination as to where you let your mind wander , which thoughts you encourage and make grow . Which ones you have to prune hard with regularity .

Keep on

m
Old 10-06-2015, 11:46 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Great post Ken!!
Old 10-06-2015, 12:04 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
saoutchik

You are getting the upper hand Ken, this is great
Old 10-06-2015, 12:15 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
...holds the key

Love it!
Old 10-06-2015, 12:51 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Great posts Ken, Nonsensical and Mecanix. I always learn something from the 3 amigos.