Notices

What does alcohol destroy?

Old 10-06-2015, 12:06 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Scientific Method - sci·en·tif·ic meth·od -- noun

noun: scientific method; plural noun: scientific methods

a method of procedure that has characterized natural science since the 17th century, consisting in systematic observation, measurement, and experiment, and the formulation, testing, and modification of hypotheses.

Lol I remember back in elementary school doing science projects and waiting to the last minute to do them... oh the fun times going to Michaels and getting all the poster boards and construction paper haha...

Hypothesis, Systematic observation and measurement -

Well my hypothesis is that after reading stories here and mine as well.. I've come to the conclusion their is a consistency that alcohol destroys:
1. Family
2. Friends
3. Jobs
3. Bank Accounts
4. Brain
5. Future
6. Significant other relationships
7. Pets ( I put this here because I actually neglect my dog when I drank and that makes me livid now that I think about it, cause I love animals, usually more than people lol)

Conclusion -

I'll let you fill in anything I've missed but these are pretty much the basics. I am 17 days sober now.. and I've seen/witnessed self destruction. Is there no better reason to quit to save the list above? How in the world can we keep drinking knowing that we are destroying the most important things in this short life. You only live once , only once.. there's no coming back as far as I know. Unless you want to get a Hologram of yourself.

What has alcohol destroyed in your life ? Is it worth quitting for.. if you answered yes then quit now and join the sober crew.

Cheers SB people.

Dru -
Old 10-06-2015, 12:26 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Teeth, don't forget, you'll also lose your teeth. Trust me, I've tested this little theory. 34, and I already need dentures. How pathetic.
Old 10-06-2015, 12:48 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

The pets thing pisses me off the most. My pets are only supposed to live for 2 years, and I fully stopped paying attention to them for the last 8 months of their lives when I started drinking to pass out.
Old 10-06-2015, 01:14 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I have a ridiculous amount of plants and when I go on heavy benders or get super depressed I never take care of them.. would be so depressing to go out onto my balcony and see all my babies withering and dying.
Old 10-06-2015, 01:37 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Alcohol literally destroys everything. I hate it. I hate myself for not being able to control it. I am tired of this and I don't want to do it anymore. I would add health to the list of things alcohol destroys.
Old 10-06-2015, 02:11 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

A biggie for me was self-esteem. Chronic, low self-esteem because of ongoing binge drinking, and some mornings I utterly loathed myself. Pets and plants - yep, many regrets there. I'm hoping my memory makes a comeback :-)
Old 10-06-2015, 03:25 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Funny what you sweep under the rug when you're in denial,you just reminded me a few weeks ago when I was hungover (the hangovers that I say I don't have ) I fed my horse and went to work for the day . Came home and realized that I left his heavy rugs on. It's spring here and getting quite hot during the day. He could easily have got colic and died from being overheated all day. A lack ability to concentrate could have been very costly on many levels. Talk about 'yets' I was getting real close to some serious repercussions from drinking and couldn't even see it!
Old 10-06-2015, 03:43 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Sober since 10th April 2012

Self-esteem.
Old 10-06-2015, 03:49 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

annihilation of self

"The devil will find work for idle hands to do
I stole and I lied, and why? because you asked me to
but now you make me feel so ashamed
because I've only got two hands
well, I'm still fond of you"

Self-confidence
Self-esteem
Self-respect
Self-trust
Peace of mind

Destruction in a bottle. Like wild fire engulfing everything in it's path.

No more. Time to live.
Old 10-06-2015, 04:09 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Zest for life... joy, happiness, contentment, peace of mind.
Old 10-06-2015, 04:11 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

A quick early morning 4:09AM answer would be.

Body, soul and mind. ---------- If one is alcoholic ??

MM
Old 10-06-2015, 04:19 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hi.
It fascinates me that most people know and understand all the above removers but will continue to drink the product that removes our logic, and I included myself.

The best summation is that alcohol is truly powerful, baffling, cunning and insidious not forgetting progressive.

BE WELL
Old 10-06-2015, 04:37 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Alcohol erodes and eventually destroys one's self respect, one's humanity, one's soul. It is not even a Faustian pact for it gives nothing in return but slavery. It is the holocaust of the spirit.

W.
Old 10-06-2015, 05:03 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

In my mind the worst thing about drinking is the attendant depression. Before I started drinking I never suffered from depression. Now, I do and except for one brief lapse I've been sober for over two years. Before my, now forever, sobriety I drank heavily for five years following over thirty years as a teetotaler. Only in the past few years has the depression started; it doesn't take long I guess. It is better now that I'm sober but I still have too many " dark nights of the soul". I'm in the process of getting help though.

I recently read a paper on a long term study of drinking and depression. One conclusion was that while a lot of people drink because they are depressed a lot of other people are depressed because they drink. I think I fit into the latter category.
Old 10-06-2015, 05:43 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Cascabel View Post
I recently read a paper on a long term study of drinking and depression. One conclusion was that while a lot of people drink because they are depressed a lot of other people are depressed because they drink. I think I fit into the latter category.

Hi.

Alcohol is a depressant so if we have those tendencies the alcohol is a depression stimulant.

BE WELL
Old 10-06-2015, 05:50 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Health...just general health. I took a picture of myself on day one, and have taken another picture each week into sobriety and I am making a nice little collage out of them. How unhealthy I looked compared to how I look now is...it's scary :/ Alcohol put fifteen years on, sobriety has taken them back off.
Old 10-06-2015, 06:07 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

For me (in addition to ALL of the things listed above), alchohol destroyed my ability to live through my higher and better self rather than through my ego. Alcohol always had me making decisions in the most base, self-centered, animalistic and victim-centered ways. Being sober allows us to crawl out of the mud, to find the proper place for our fragile little egos to hang out, and to start creating our own reality based upon gratefulness, gratitude, beauty, clarity and honesty. The focus goes outward without alcohol in our lives.
Old 10-06-2015, 06:11 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

for me, it pretty much destroys everything.

bit by bit.... with clever slyness...

Old 10-06-2015, 06:15 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Alcohol effects every single organ in your body. Every one of them is altered or damaged (either temporarily or permanently depending on length and amount of consumption). Nothing is spared it's Ill effects.
Old 10-06-2015, 06:16 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

It enslaves the body and, in doing so, enslaves the mind and spirit. It takes everything away, giving nothing in return but suffering, sadness, guilt, shame and eventually death. For alcoholics it is the ultimate evil, rotting from within. Once, in the middle of the night, I woke up (or was I dreaming?) and I saw it there, hunched over in the corner, glaring at me. And the most terrifying thing of all, I sensed that it knew me more than I knew myself. It knew me and would eventually claim me as its own. Indeed, it had already done so for I had become its slave. Terrified! More than I had ever been. And suddenly it vanished, but I still felt its presence. I have never forgotten this. A look over the precipice, at hell itself. And yet I drank until something came to save me.

W.